Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sudimari

sewing on a little homemade 'patch/applique'

sudimari
13 years ago

I don't know why but my "simple" little thoughts are always the ones i get the most lost on!

I have finished my pjs (turns out they actually were fleece not flannel). Although as I wear them I'm discovering a few alterations need to be made...no biggie. BUT since it is a total elastic waistline and no discernable difference between front & back (other than fit of course!) I had the bright idea to put a little butterfly patch on the front so on my bad days/nights I could figure out how to put them on.

Sounded easy enough. I chose a stencil and drew out my pattern...still no issue. Chose the patch fabric which is a beautiful mutli-colored sheer which I KNOW frays like crazy. Okay so you take care of that before cutting the final patch out for your finished project, by zigzagging the border tightly onto a stabilizing fabric. Haven't done it yet, but feel sure I can manage that.

BUT if I use a tight zigzag to create the piece (and prevent fraying) how do I attach it to the fleece? Another zigzag would be way too much for this lightweight fabric to manage. Do I use the sheet-like cotton that I'm using to stabilize the fabric and frame the original piece in it with a straight stitch (not so easy with the curves and small piece to begin with) then zigzag it onto the fleece covering the cotton? Obviously I have never done applique! Hand stitching is out of the question due to significant tremors.

Now to be honest my very first thought was to stitch a little ribbon bow on the front of the waistband. But then my long neglected creative minx got going....I am wanting to learn to quilt and applique eventually so this seemed like a good opportunity to try it out....

Any suggestions? or ideas?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County