Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cha_cha16

bathing suit lining question

cha_cha
17 years ago

This is a bit of a delicate question. I bought a bathing suit with a boy-short style bottom and it has a seem that runs from the belly button area all the way down and up the back. This seems causes a umm, sort of frontal wedgie, that I didn't notice before I bought it, as I tried it on with underwear.

I ironed on a denim patch in the crotch thinking that the stiffness of the patch would fix the problem, but it didn't. Does anyone have any other ideas? I would really like to fix this issue because I like the suit, it just needs to be a little less revealing so to speak.

Thanks,

cha_cha

Comments (6)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    17 years ago

Sounds like a design flaw/poor fit to me - maybe you need a full lining - or wear some panties w/ it....?

• joansews4u
    17 years ago

I wonder if you are trying to wear it higher than it is made to be worn. Don't pull it up as high & see what happens. If it is made to wear lower, maybe you can add a band at the top. Have you thought to try a thong panty with it? You would gain a couple of layers of fabric in front with less to peek out elsewhere.

• cha_cha
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for replying. It definitely is a design flaw that I think goes with having a seem running the way it does. I don't think that I am wearing it too high though, I don't particularly pull it up. I do have a friend that has experienced the same problem with her boy cut bathing suit. I will try wearing it with a thong, panty lines might end up being an issue though.

If anyone has any more suggestions of modifications that I could make to the suit, they would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you,
    cha_cha

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

The only thing I can suggest is putting a band around each leg. There is really no way you can stretch material that is cut too small. Without seeing it I can't guarantee it will work and it's really a job for an experienced seamstress. Any sewing on a bathing suit is, because of the stretch. It might cost more than the suit is worth

• kathyg_in_mi
    14 years ago

Sounds like it might be too small/short thru the crotch. What about taking out the waist "band" and adding a bit more fabric to make the crotch longer?
    Try measuring your crotch and compare to bathing suit bottoms crotch measurement.
    Kathy G in MI

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

If the crotch is too high, you can make it lower by stitching in the seam a little deeper using a multiple stitch zig zag and cutting off the original stitching. You don't want to stitch it in deeper in the front or the back, but taper it in around the bottom of the curve, trying to keep the shape of the curve about the same....just deeper. I'd do this a little at a time ...maybe 1/4".... until I got it where it was comfortable. Or you might just want to baste it first to see how it fits.

The stitch should look like this as it will have sufficient stretch to work with bathing suit material.