Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

"Tiny House Nation" program

schoolhouse_gw
9 years ago

Anyone watching? What's your take on it? I think there have been two or three episodes so far. I was all excited about when I saw the previews for the series but not thrilled with how they scripted the show.

In other words, I'd much rather see a half hour of actual tiny house build then an hour of the owners' back stories and screen time. Yes, I suppose the producers want to show what kind of people want and live in tiny houses but it's tedious.And I mute most of the dialogue, as the host repeats himself endlessly. Must say I really don't care for him. Do you think these are real owner/buyers? Sometimes it seems staged.

So far I liked the second tiny house along the creek, but was worried about what happens when that creek floods?

Comments (11)

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

What station is this show on? Also, what area are you in?

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forget what station it airs on. I Googled and found the web site but there were several different channels listed. I'm in Ohio. It's on Wednesday nights. Actually the last episode about the 220 sq.ft. house was not bad.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I watched an episode and it was neat to see how they fit function into such a tight space. It was also interesting to see how hard it is to get the people to be realistic about how much of their stuff they can keep in the place. I wonder, do these people keep a separate storage unit someplace else for the rest of their stuff?

• ridewithme38
    9 years ago

I really liked the 'idea' of the first house, the 'Dream castle'. The side entrance with a huge glass wall was great. BUT, they totally dropped the ball with the kids room and bathroom.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Did you watch the latest episode? might have been Thurs.night. The couple had two very young children. I kept thinking to myself, do they realize those kids will grow up? I don't think they will be able or want to sleep in that loft or use the catwalk between their and the parents bedrooms. And talk about privacy? hmmmm. And the "tub"? Perhaps the family doesn't plan on living in this tiny house too long.
    The rest of the house was beautiful tho.

• PRO
    Jamaica Cottage Shop Inc
    8 years ago

!! I think that was the episode about our "Vermont Cottage" :) http://www.fyi.tv/shows/tiny-house-nation/videos/river-escape

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Really? So how is it working out for the family after nearly a year? of course the kids probably didn't grow toooo much in 9 months. : )

• User
    8 years ago

"Vermont Cottage". They're going to live there year round? How long before the first murder?

• PRO
    Jamaica Cottage Shop Inc
    8 years ago

Haha You would be surprised how many families successfully downsize and live simpler!

• lethiapage
    8 years ago

It's on FYI network. I get it on DVR and I enjoy watching it a great deal. The middle portion of the show is very much about preparing for tiny house life which I think is important. RE: design, I have pored over numerous sites looking for variety in tiny house design and I'm finding that it's a pretty short sermon. Less is more, quality over quantity. The layouts aren't really all that original anymore, either. But I will say...the whole movement is really inspiring and attractive to me, a single with little in the way of material possessions. I would love to abbreviate my life this way. And....back to the show...I will say that the show does a really good job of making each tiny house a customized project for each family's needs...like one family wanted room for a wine collection. Others a place for home schooling. Someone else needed a spot for camping gear and snowboards and hang gliding gear. Lots of really roomy kitchens despite the overall square footage.