Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Rug - am I on the right track?

funkyart
14 years ago

I have been looking at rugs to pair with my mirrored table which will arrive in mid Sept. I'd really like to stick with a flat weave since it is a dining room.. and ideally, I'd like to bring in some color. I had discounted color and even patterns when I first started looking but as I broadened my search outside of blue/green/black combos, I found that I think I could make a pattern work.

What do you think of this combo? The rug is from grandin road and a bit more than I wanted to spend (ok, it is double what I wanted to spend) but I am liking the pumpkin color with the table. No idea on wall color as yet. I do use this orange pumpkin as an accent color in the adjoining rooms from time to time and I would like to use more.

Jaipur Sumak from Grandin Road

My table.. mine is being made so the pattern on the table top will be different but similar colors.

Another option with similar colors-- this one is from home decorators (and isnt cheaper)

What do you think? Am I going the right direction? My fall back is a sisal rug or a bistro like diamond pattern but I'd prefer some color.

Comments (11)

• User
    14 years ago

I really like the first one! I think the pumpkin color will look great with the table.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I much prefer the first option too-- and I could probably use it in the living room if I didn't like it in the DR.

I am tempted to just order it right now before I think about it too much. I made myself wait until I got feedback from others more experienced with selecting rugs. (So much for cautious spenting, eh?)

• Tryin2Grow
    14 years ago

Saw your tabletop post the other day and loved it.

Fwiw, this comment on the GR website:

Durable flatweave is easy to clean

is not really true. I have numerous customers that have placed flatweaves beneath DR tables and are often left with spills and stains. May not be your case, but just a cautionary note.

Also, this is a new rug, and if you are located anywhere near a rug dealer, why not call and see if they have it in stock so you can see in person then take home (I always let people take the rug home for a few days) so you can try out without the hassle of returning in online?

And finally....the rug is beautiful! Love the pumpkin/persimmon coloring to it and to your table.

• mclarke
    14 years ago

I think you're on the right track, but you might be wise to wait until the table has arrived until you choose a rug.

The colors in the table might be subtly different, and the light in the room will of course have something to say.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

funkyart, I think I'd wait until your table arrives. Since the color will vary from table to table you might find these won't work so well. I do love the first one though.

• parma42
    14 years ago

Funky, I thought you stole my rug!

Of course, I never got it, anyway, because the size was off. The jaipur is so similar. If you check the Safavieh web site and look under discontinued rugs, then click sumak, you'll find other pics and a bit of color clarification. As one who just ended up with a blue and pink runner, I'd be cautious of anything that might be off, IRL.

One thing I don't understand is that GR is still offering free return shipping on my Ishtar but not on the one you chose. They are both Safavieh and the same price. Maybe if you called for clarification...

I like both of the rugs, the second being a bit more transitional.

Of all your possibilities, the only thing I would rule out would be the French diamond pattern. You've gone to so much trouble finding a unique table that I wouldn't care to see it paired with something too obvious, IYKWIM.

While you wait for the table to be finished, start to prioritize. What's more important to you? The color of the room, the chairs, WTs or the rug?

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tryin - thanks for the insight on rugs. I was thinking of the flat weave for spills and dirt-- but also because I have two dogs-- and also because my current tufted rug is STILL shedding more than a year later. I just have really fallen for the flat weaves. I will try to go see it and others since I do have a Safevieh preferred dealer fairly close-- I thought this was a GR exclusive based on the description but that doesnt seem to be the case.

Mclarke & Just - Yes, I know I should wait until the table arrives but that is soooo long and I'd like to be prepared to jump if I see chairs at a good price. I felt like I needed a better idea of how the room would come together in order to "be prepared". Also, I am eager to ditch the (very nasty) rug that is currently in the DR.

Parma - I knew you'd recognize the rug. It is, indeed, very similar to one you were looking at. You make a good point regarding my priorities-- I would say the rug and chairs are my top priority. I think they will be what pulls the room together... and they are the highest dollar purchases. I would like to get chairs that are a little different and unexpected but I keep being drawn back to the traditional styles. I was hoping maybe the rug would take me in a different direction.

I was thnking of buying a rug today because I am a bit trigger happy and that isnt usually the case--and because I felt certain that if it didnt work, that I could use the rug in one of my rooms. I will take the collective advice and cool my jets hahah.. but I will keep looking while I (im)patiently await the arrival of my table :)

Thanks all!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

The first rug is absolutely gorgeous in terms of the color and pattern. I do hope you can make it work in your room. It's going to add so much class and beauty to your dining room.

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

I love the first rug!

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

I love the first rug, too. But.........I agree on waiting - since you have had fairly good luck on CL you might happen upon a great pair of upholstered chairs or a set that would take you in a slightly different direction. Reupholstery & having slipcovers are not that cheap......so you might end up needing a rug that pulls everything together for you.

Hope your doing well:)

Smiles:)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again all! I really was jumping the gun-- I was going through one of those phases where I had no control over a situation (something completely unrelated to my home) so I set out to completely control and plan the DR to the nth degree. I wasn't successful in the least haha. I was trying to match a photo to a photo for god's sake-- bad bad bad haha. I came to my senses (for now). :)

I have three options in my head for chairs.. all different but all would work in different ways. I like either a distressed black Louis XV1, a metal chair w/slipcover or a pair of big comfy upholstered chairs.

Scooby, I do like the idea of upholstered chairs-- in fact, every time you mention it in a post I get a little excited. I really think I am going to consider a sitting room/dining area rather than a traditional dining room. Of course a lot depends on what I find... I have been scouting out wing chairs or comfy looking chairs with a 19-20" seat. Not many places list the height of the seat so I've been focused on those who do (Drexel Heritage does-- so does Aidan Gray. Not exactly the bargain spots LOL)

(Thanks, Scooby-- Hope you're doing well also!)