lipton_gw

Putting tempered glass into existing windows

lipton

Hi,

I'm in the middle of a long and torturous home renovation (is there any other kind?) and yesterday the inspector found that contractor #1 (we are on #3 now) installed windows that are non-tempered over the tub. Contractor #1 has disappeared with any and all paperwork, so we're not even certain who manufactured the windows that are installed. It's a long, sad story.

Bottom line is, I'd like to know if we can meet code by having an after market "glazing" on the existing glass in place or if the panes can be removed, re-glassed and reinstalled. If the answer to either of these questions is yes, I'd love to know what company to contact. I live in Fairfax County Virginia. In the worst case, I could rip out the existing windows and install properly rated replacement windows, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Steve