Software
Houzz Logo Print
abananie

Floor Plans

17 years ago

So I am learning how to post pictures and am not sure what I am doing. Here goes!

This is what the architect put on the plans. I am working with a KD to figure out what is the best way to put it together. The little box on the end of the cabinets is a 'stack' pipe for waste from the bathroom upstairs. I want to move it but I am waiting for an estimate from my GC. Hopefully it won't cost too much!! Otherwise, I am going to have to build around it.

I hope this works!

Here is a link that might be useful: PhotoBucket: Kitchen Layout

Comments (4)

  • 17 years ago

    Okay, I can see I nee to try again. Sorry!!

  • 17 years ago

    I can't see everything, but most of it. How large is your family and do you entertain? Do you bake? Do you have, or will you have in the future, kitchen helpers, young or adult?

    What is the 'kitchen annex?' Will you have a table there? It seems too small for a table, but large for just a hallway. The writing on that cabinetry is about the only thing I can't see, other than aisle measurements.

    Will you consider a prep sink?

    What are your thoughts about a microwave?

    Will you benefit from 2 dishwashers? If not, I'd move the dw to the other side of the sink and put a trash pullout where the dw is currently.

    How do you envision using the counter space to the left of the fridge?

    Will you have pantry storage or extra refrigerator or full freezer elsewhere?

    It looks like a decent start. Looking forward to hearing more and seeing a bigger image.

  • 17 years ago

    Oh, I am so excited that you replied to my message!!

    There are three of us. I do 95% of the cooking. I have a 13yo son, who may help from time to time. Maybe more as he gets older??

    I don't bake too often, but like to if I can share with someone!

    The kitchen annex is the old kitchen. We are blasting out the wall and adding a 16 x 15 addition. We had initially only planned on making an opening to the "new kitchen", but then thought the old kitchen looked too much like a too big hallway. So we are taking the wall down to open it up more. We have an eat in area off the back part of the old kitchen and a DR in the front of the old kitchen. No table there. It really is going to be more of a hallway :(

    I prefer the look of an island to be plain, but have been thinking that a prep sink might come in handy. Leaning more toward the plain look though.

    I am hoping to put a microwave to the left of the fridge. If I can fit it there. If I can move the stack pipe I will for sure. I want an elevated box to put it in, not a built in. I don't know what that's called.

    I agree that I want a DW to the right of the sink and a pullout trash bin to the left. I think I would like trash pullout in the island too. I don't think that the shape of the island will be the shape shown on the plans either!

    In the old kitchen I plan to put a desk and a pantry type of cabinet for extra storage. I have an older fridge in the basement. I will change it out with the one in the kitchen now since it is newer.

    I so appreciate your help, thank you!!!

    P.S. I will post another try of the palns or a KD's plan as soon as I can figure out how!!

  • 17 years ago

    My only other comment for the moment: It may be more important to think about the function, rather than the look of your island. The sink is quite a ways from the fridge, and think of prepping veggies for cooking. If you have a prep sink in the island, you take things from the fridge, turn and place them on the island, wash and chop and make another turn to the stove. It's a much longer path back and forth to use the main sink, so not nearly as efficient. Also, the prep sink means no washing veggies or chicken over dirty dishes. I know that you work alone, so it's not as necessary for different people to have their own areas to work, but after having a prep sink, I really find it very valuable, even when working by myself. It's where I need it, and empty and clean for the purposes I need it for.

    Oops, I guess I had 2 comments...I would shift the fridge to the left and place the microwave on the right of the fridge...But that's because I use mine for thawing meat and steaming veggies, and other tasks as I cook, so I like it handy. I also need to drain things at the sink, which would be easier on the stove side. But maybe your family doesn't use yours the same?