Software
Houzz Logo Print
sheeba4gs

Need help for our new place

13 years ago
We are moving into a townhouse next month(hopefully :))
Need suggestions on color tones in the living room. We are mostly reusing our one year old furniture and I have already chosen the rug. Want to keep it simple. Hate busy crowded living rooms.

Comments (25)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    One great way to start would be to pull the colors from that rug! The light color would make a great base color for the walls! If you want to be adventurous, use the red on an accent wall! Remember dark colors will pull the wall closer in, light colors will make the wall look further away!
    What does the furniture you have look like? That may also help us get a clear understanding of what your style is!

    Diane
    www.dianealtieri.com
    https://www.facebook.com/dianedesignsassociates
  • 13 years ago
    Be careful that you don't get things too "Squared up" with the shapes. We'd do better if we could see pics of your furniture. More pics = more input from Houzzers.
  • 13 years ago
    Cool rug! For the living room I would suggest a sectional, a glass coffee table (that won't interfere with your rug) and Roman shades to keep things simple. For your paint color, pick up one of the grays in the rug and have your paint dealer reduce it by 50%. Congratulations!

    [houzz=
    Modern Sectional Sofas · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    smart glass top coffee table · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Soft Roman Shades · More Info
    ]
  • 13 years ago
    My first thought is the beige one (yawn). Only you can see the true colors of the chaise and the red in the rug, so I would try the red one first, and if it doesn't work you can always go to beige.
  • 13 years ago
    I would go with the beige one and punch it up with a red accent pillow instead of the beige bolster that comes with it. Use a different shape also, for a bit more variation. I think I would go more with a cream wall... Will make your area rug and accessories pop even mre and still make the room larger, especially since you have so many dark pieces.
  • 13 years ago
    I think furnitures in brown, taupe and same shade would complement,
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi, you may also want some beautiful curtains to decorate. We have many fantastic curtains in silk, faux silk, linen, cotton, chenille, etc. And also, we are offering huge discounts now.

    You can contact sales@cheerycurtains.com for any enquiry, and I would be more than glad to help. Here is the link to our website: www.cheerycurtains.com.

    Attached are some photos for your reference, and many more colors are available.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Would be great to see the rest of the furniture! Based upon the rug (which I personally love), Use the cream as the base for sofas and bring in the other colours of the rug via cushions/throws. Hanging curtains can draw a room in - great if you're going for a cozy look. If you want to make the most of the natural light, stick with blinds and floaty muslin/voile - keep these thickly gathered to dress the edges of the windows, and have a bit of length in them to pool on the floor. www.kingfisher4interiors.co.uk, email : deb@kingfisher4interiors.co.uk
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Very light whisper creme on walls in satin, just slightly darker cream on woodwork in gloss. NIce view.
  • 13 years ago
    I love your rug. If your sofa is brown, I agree with the houzzer who suggested the beige chaise with a red pillow. Your red chaise is lovely too, but doesn't really seem to complement the rug. For your walls, I would match the grey in the rug if you want to complement the beige chaise, or match the beige if you want it warmer.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    benjamin moore's "tea light", #471 regal line, eggshell finish
    or
    benjamin moore's "spring dust", #2150-40, flat finish

    not likely to be bored w/ them. they're keepers.
    have fun!
  • 13 years ago
    based on the rug, I would keep the bulk of the furniture and wall color to the grey/beige/cream family. keep the room itself fairly neutral, and let your accent colors of black, red, green be in the pillows, rug, curtains, artwork, etc.

    this also lets you change the color scheme of the room down the road without too much trouble or needing to recover furniture.

    i added a photo of my living room (although unfinished) you can sort of see the color scheme which is very similar to yours. i'm planning to add burgundy curtains and throw blanket, and keep the artwork in the burgundy/green/naturescape area. i also like how the curves of the tables help break up the straight lines of the rest of the room. it looks like your coffee table and chaise would serve a similar function.

    good luck!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    how do you think about leather rugs by us..
  • 13 years ago
    As far as choosing colors for your room, everything should depend upon how much natural light and sunshine you get in that room. Which directions does it face? If you face north, then your room will be cooler, and you won't want to choose colors from the cool side of the spectrum. All colors change with available light and they may change throughout the day. I would paint color samples in pretty large swatches on the walls, or on poster boards and put them up on several walls to watch how they look over a 24-hour period. See how they feel to you. Also, before you buy the furniture, see if you can't get fabric samples to take home and see how they look in your space.
  • 13 years ago
    I suggest you visit www.mydeco.com, Its my go to whenever I need to make a decision about room colour, furniture layout etc...the site allows you to do a 3D rendering of a room....complete with paint colour options furniture etc....and its completely free....you create the dimensions of the room that you are designing...and a 3D layout is ready in 5mins-1hr depending on the level of designer you are for example I am level 3 so It takes 5 mins....you would be a beginner so you would probably be able to view your 3D rendering in about 45 mins....see one of my Free 3D rendering below...its a powder room I am decorating.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh and its super easy to use.....just drag and drop
  • 13 years ago
    I would paint the walls antique white and use a white for the trim...and definitely go for the red chaise!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb, and take clues from your rug and that you want a simple design.
    I suggest looking for a Mid Century Contemporary sofa, coffee table, and cool Designer chairs.
    Sorry, but I'm not digging the chaise. It reminds me of Betty lounger in Mad Men (2nd picture.) If you don't like this look, that's okay. It's an acquired taste. Maybe I'm the one behind the times, and haven't caught on to the lounger/fainting couch.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hi..you mentioned you wanted to get floral curtains. I think floral curtains would be very difficult to find that will complement the rug you have selected. The coffee table you have chosen is also sort of busy to be on top of the rug. The chaise (which I like) is leaning traditional and the rug is pretty contemporary. I think I would rethink the rug to a more transitional style. Or, scratch the floral curtain?
  • 13 years ago
    What color and brand of stain on hardwood?
  • 13 years ago
    Oh wow!!!!! Thank you for the inputs everyone. Feels good :)
  • 13 years ago
    Hi darnell23.. The hardwood is FIG color from Mission collection GRP1
    Series is MFPTOLBIR5FIG
  • 13 years ago
    Love the rug! Agree with what someone else mentiond, floral curtains might not look right with the rug. I would go for a solid. I would try to pull out the brown or red in the rug. Here's what we did in our living room and we get lots of compliments! You do need to be careful that your paint and furniture colors work together, tho. Everyone has there own style, have fun with what you like!
  • 13 years ago
    Here's a few colors :)