Software
Houzz Logo Print
niki_friedman

Need rec for mudroom floor tile

11 years ago

Looking for an inexpensive floor tile for the mudroom- something non slippery that doesn't show dirt. Id like it to have a grey hue because it's adjacent to the kitchen, which is cream and black with grey danby marble. Floors in kitchen are wood. We figured that instead of trying to match a porcelain wood tile to the kitchen hardwood, we'd do something completely different.

I like the look of the faux slate tiles if that helps.

Mudroom cabinetry will be shiloh soft white.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Comments (7)

  • 11 years ago

    Your kitchen sound a lot like ours and we just put in this Daltile-Continental Slate in our new mudroom. I chose the Brazilian Green color after seeing it installed on the link provided below:

    Scroll down that thread to the images posted by "jejvtr"

    Actually, the whole thread is worth reading through.

    We did the hopscotch pattern like the pictures jejvtr posted and I'm very happy with it. Many have commented that it looks like slate, it seems very durable and does not show dirt. We still have lots of construction dudes coming in and out through that door all day and when I sweep I'm always surprised at the dirt there is because I couldn't see any.
    Maybe I need a new glasses.

    I've included a picture but it's not in the best light. Hope this helps. Hats off to Jejvtr for the suggestion!

  • 11 years ago

    Sorry, here's the link I mentioned but forgot to include

    Here is a link that might be useful: Continental Slate

  • 11 years ago

    I did grey too and this was purchased from a tile discounter in our area (NorCal) for around $2.99/sf. It's porcelain, matte finished, and very durable. Wish I knew exactly what the brand of tile it is but I couldn't say exactly. I do know that these tiles did come bigger and we cut them down so that the scale of the tile was better suited for the small room size. Because of the price, we could waste a bit. So while I don't have any specific suggestion, I will encourage you to shop around, find something with good value, and use durability as the main deciding factor!

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you!!!!

  • 11 years ago

    We used Emilceramica Stone Box tile in Bright Grey in our bathroom. It's got a sort of rustic, natural look that could work for you. I think it was $3.45/sq ft. Or you might check out this one at Lowe's:

    Here is a link that might be useful: Mitte Gray Tile

  • 11 years ago

    I used Allure vinyl tile planks in my kitchen reno. I have Adel White cabinets from Ikea. They look good together, I think.

    It is allegedly waterproof/resistant (haven't verified this!!) and it is easy to clean. Does show some spots but it's not a big deal to me.

    Here's a sample while the kitchen was in progress.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Flooring (Link is Canadian)

  • 11 years ago

    I installed Daltile Continental Slate in English grey (12x18) in our mudroom. It puts up with a lot of abuse/neglect and still looks good. I think I put too much water in the grout, because it's lighter than I'd expected from the samples. It's about as light as the lightest shade of the tile, and I wanted it to match the darkest shade. The grout always looks dirty. But I'd sure recommend the tile.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert