Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celiaanne

Koch Cabinets

celiaanne
14 years ago

A local kitchen center has recommended these (made in Kansas). I've done a search, but so far I've found nothing on them.

Has anyone experience with them?

Comments (40)

• notadesigner
    14 years ago

I was ready to post the same thing later tonight. My kitchen designer mentioned them as well. I am 90% sure I will use them. I was going to use maple but since maple and cherry cost the same I am going with natural cherry. Blum soft close is a standard as well on all drawers. I had picked out Showplace at first but for the same price I get cherry AND the blum soft close. The cabinet people are coming to my home tomorrow to do a final measure before I order. I am going to drill them a little more about the company. When I search for locations that sell Koch cabinets I do notice itÂs a lot of small towns so I figure maybe they are a small mom and pop company that maybe can't compete with Kraftmaid, etc but still do a fine job.
    I have read customer complaints from almost every cabinet company anyway so I figure if that's the route I'm taking I can risk it from an unknown company as well as from a well known one! :)

• celiaanne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just can't seem to find anything at all on them. I'm just starting this process, so I'm not all that sure about what I want and what is available. Thanks for the information you posted. I will probably go with cherry, too.

Maybe we will smoke out someone who has actually used them! :)

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

Here's a link to their website:

Here is a link that might be useful: Koch & Co.

• celiaanne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, ci lantro. I do have a brochure from them and I've checked out their website, but I would really like to hear from someone who has actually had them installed.

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

I did a quick look--Just so you know, the Classic line has particle board drawer boxes. 3/4 extension drawer slides on the Imperial line; I suppose you can upgrade to full ext.

• notadesigner
    14 years ago

My quote states:
    Classic series, cherry wood, choice of stain color, Charleston door style, full overlay, dovetail under mount full extension soft close drawers, butt doors, plywood finished ends. $6285.00.
    The gal that helped me said they use Koch cabinets for 75% of their business. Glad you pointed out the difference between Classic and Imperial. It'll be a good question to inquire about tomorrow.
    The quote included a lazy susan which I am having them remove. I'd rather have the full open space for some larger appliance items.

• KAREN
    14 years ago

Notadesigner, Keep us posted. I have been looking at Koch cabinets also. They have a Beech species of wood. Have you ever heard of this type of wood? Karen

• shelly_k
    14 years ago

Hi, just wanted to chime in. We are building new construction and conssidering Koch for some bathrooms and utility room, as well as kitchenette in basement. We went to the showroom and were pleased with what we saw. We also have good friends that put them in their kitchen. They used the beech wood with a medium/dark stain and they look just like cherry, but maybe a little better to me. The KD said that beech can look much like cherry and it is a harder wood (re: more durable) than cherry and much less expensive. However, when we priced our kitchen in both beech and cherry, there wasn't much of a price difference -- $500 on a 10K kitchen.

They do have the particle board interior, but I think you can upgrade to plywood and you can also upgrade to soft close and full extension, I believe. Seemed like a good value. KD also said they are almost like custom b/c they work so well with him to get him specific sizes and such.

• KAREN
    14 years ago

Sherry_k, may I ask why you didn't use the Koch cabinets in your kitchen?

• shelly_k
    14 years ago

The cabinet place we visited also sells Crestwood, which I liked a little better. But they are more expensive. The Koch have particle board interiors and the Crestwood have maple interiors. They just felt a little more heavy duty than the Koch. And the Crestwood ended up being around $3K more, which is alot, but I felt it was worth it. Just personal perference, I guess. I feel very good about the Koch for bathrooms, utility room, etc...

• celiaanne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great info here. I'm still waiting for a quote from my KD, but I think I'm a little more prepared for some questions now. Thanks!

• notadesigner
    14 years ago

Parts,
    I didn't inquire about birch. I really thought I wanted maple so I went in saying "I want maple, shaker style..." etc. Then when I went back to see the design she had the cabinet style door I wanted but in cherry and said this is the door but itÂs in cherry yours will in maple. Well I knew I liked cherry so I asked what the price difference between maple and cherry was and she said there wasn't one. So to me, no need for any more conversation...cherry Koch cabinets Classic with all the upgrades it will be. :) I am putting off ordering a few more weeks though; too many times life interrupted other projects so I am waiting until the last possible moment! I really want the sheet rock up, and then I'll know its time!

• KAREN
    14 years ago

Notadesigner, The wood species I was refering to was Beech not Birch. Is this a new type of wood? I haven't seen it in any other cabinets except Koch. I think it is a very hard wood. Anybody else know anything about this "Beech" wood?

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Beech is a hard wood, though not quite as hard as maple (I believe) but known to take stain better then maple. Beech is a commonly used wood. IKEA even has several choices made of beech wood.

• notadesigner
    14 years ago

well I got my new design today and I'm a tad surprised. I knew there would be a little difference in price. I took out the lazy susan (kept the corner base cupboard but I don't want the lazy susan part), tweaked one set of cabinets based on needing an extra 4 inches of wall space for a cold air return to a 2nd floor bedroom and went from 36 inch upper cabinets to 42 inch upper cabinets. My price was reduced $340.00. I thought it would be similar in price but not a savings! I am very happy... If I place my order now they will be in around Christmas. If I wait until next week they will be in around New Years.

• KAREN
    14 years ago

Notadesigner, did you place you Koch cabinet order yet? Keep us posted on your decision and your thoughts about Koch cabinets. Thanks

• notadesigner
    14 years ago

I gave my check to my kitchen place Friday but asked that they wait until this Wed to place the order. I wanted to mull a few things over this weekend and I'm glad I did because more things came into my head. After I sent my designer an e-mail she told me it would not look good so I thought "ok at least I got it out of my system"! Now I am ready to go. Now to finalize the floor and counters...
    The cabinets should be in shortly after New Years.

• KAREN
    14 years ago

Notadesigner, did you ever get your Koch cabinets and are you happy with them? parts

• celiaanne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am curious too how you like your Koch cabinets. We are still sitting on the moving/remodeling fence and have made no cabinet decision. It's looking more like a re-model though.

• sydney_in_pa
    13 years ago

Any updates from anyone who has installed Koch cabinets? We are thinking of having them installed and looking for any insights.

• marthar
    11 years ago

Our local kitchen center recommended the Marquis line of Koch cabinets. We had originally looked at Sorrento, but since we were considering stained Beech for the island she gave us a bid for the Marquis. I assumed that Koch cabinets were more of an entry level line, but KD raved about them. I'm wondering specifically if Marquis is an up-graded line of Koch. I've searched and can't find any information. I'd love to hear from those who've installed Marquis-Koch. Are you pleased with the look and finish? We are going with painted white shaker (pearl) maple for the perimeter cabinets and stained Beech for the island.
    Any comments are appreciated!

• Lindsay
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We placed an order for a kitchen though our designer and had 5 damaged cabinets and others with imperfections I can live with. The 5 replaced cabinets came in and 4 of the 5 were damaged. I just got my 4 replacements (12 weeks after order date) and I am not pleased with them but are keeping 3 out of the 4. I think party of the problem is they ship in a cardboard box that they claim has a special spray on it to protect the cabinets. Very disappointed with the quality for the money we spent!

• kmw6
    7 years ago

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about this...it is such a process to even get to the ordering part and then to have so many arrive and be damaged?! That is so disappointing. We are embarking on an upcoming kitchen remodel and Marquis and Woodland are the 2 cabinet companies on our radar with Marquis being the less costly option. Were your cabinets Marquis? How was their customer service throughout the process of dealing with the damaged cabinetry? How about the cost of installing/replacing the damaged cabinets? Did Marquis cover this?

• RSK RSK
    7 years ago

We are considering the Koch brand. Our rep is quoting $20k. The samples look good, just want to be sure this is a good quality company before spending that kind of money. We are looking at the Koch Savannah shaker style with briarwood stain. Any additional information would be appreciated.

• Lindsay
    7 years ago
    We loved the samples too and we chose painted cabinets. I was really disappointed with the money spent and the product received. Many scratches and chips. I understand they aren't furniture grade cabinets, but still.
  • Terri Carstenson
    7 years ago

Marquis and Koch seem to be the same company.

http://marquiscabinet.com/

Marquis Cabinets

MFG by Koch and Co., Inc.

1809 North St. - Seneca, KS - 66538

email : marquiscab@kochandco.com

• allijanelewis
    6 years ago

Anyone have anymore thoughts on the Koch company? How are the cabinets that you have had installed? This is one line my designer is recommending.

• rskelly545
    6 years ago

We put over $20k in Koch cabinets in our house and very happy with their product. We used Beechwood and they look great in kitchen & bathrooms. Would highly recommend.

• jml13
    6 years ago

Also looking at Koch for kitchen remodel. Rustic beech, briarwood. Seneca or Charleston door style. Kitchen is 11.5 X11.5. Did you choose classic or imperial? Did you have a lot of upgrades for 20K?

• tgrotheer1
    5 years ago

What size is your kitchen rskelly? We're building a new house with a 14x18 kitchen and have no idea what to expect for cabinetry costs. We have friends who built a high-end 4000 s.f. house and put in Koch rustic birch cabinets. They're beautiful and seem to be very well made. So, we're using the same designer and plan to go with Koch rift sawn briarwood in the Seneca 15 door style. We're going for an arts and crafts look to the house. Would love to hear how the Koch cabinets have held up for people!

• rskelly545
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Our kichen is 16x15 and the Koch cabinets are still a show piece of the house. When I quoted the price, it included the laundry, 3 bathrooms and the kitchen in the total price. So just the kitchen would be much less. We have been very pleased with these cabinets. So many things can go wrong or not workout like you hoped when building a new house, but our cabinets did not disappoint.

Our installer and contact was Integrity Kitchen & Bath LLC out of Spartanburg, SC (David Southernland ) and his email is intergrityKandB@att.net. He will come to Seneca with samples and meet with you to get everything set up. We highly recommend David.

• User
    5 years ago

We embarked on a full remodel 5 yrs ago in CO and chose Koch from amongst many cabs shown on the showroom floor. The kitchen distributor/designer spoke very highly of them....many installs over the years. We ended up choosing cherry in a medium stain/shaker style, matte/satin finish that would work with the somewhat rustic/contemp look of the house. Fast forward to 6 weeks later...right on time.

On installation day, when they starting bringing the cabs into the house our mouths fell open. I'd had cherry cabs twice before by Woodmode but never have I seen such gorgeous wood grain and finish! When we purchase something, how many times in life are we surprised in a super positive way?? We sold the house a year later and it's the kitchen I miss the most. Everyday was eye candy...between the cabs and our soapstone we loved that kitchen.

Koch's service was great too. One base cab was made at 24" deep instead of 18". We got to keep the wrong one (future island or ??) and the new one was delivered in under 10 days from Kansas.

To top it off the price was very reasonable.

A few pix....they were much prettier in person. Wish I'd taken more pix.

That is some sort of really strange optical illusion above. It looks like we have a wood bullnose counter edge....lol. We didn't as you can see from the top photo! There were very well made, operated beautifully, self closing. This was 2013.

Still a few missing pieces in this shot.

• hollidaylynn
    5 years ago

I've been considering Koch cabinets - also very well regarded by my KD - majority of what she sells. Nice to hear about their customer service. My KD also deals with Candlelight and Crestwood. The price point apparently is great with Koch, still waiting on my quote. I've asked for birch with a chestnut stain. Jama7 - your cabinets are absolutely gorgeous, just what I'm going for! Are those soapstone countertops? Good idea to ask for matte/satin finish, didn't realize that was an option.

• User
    5 years ago

Hi, yes, they're soapstone from Texiera Denver.....Santa Rita I believe was the name of the stone. Superb quality/cust service. If you are considering soapstone, go with them if you can. One of the largest suppliers and fabricators nationally. They blew us away with their install...and we're perfectionists++!

• hollidaylynn
    5 years ago

Oh it's so pretty! They don't ship to TN (and I wish I still lived on CO's western slope!) but I will look around for Santa Rita. Great advice! Thanks!

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I think it's rather rare...so another fabricator here in Boston told me. Not sure I've ever seen it other than at Texeira but hope you can find it....it's drop dead gorgeous. I would use it again if I didn't have such a small kit/ traditional, New England type home.

• HU-23208644720060816
    5 years ago

I'm an employee of Koch and Co. for 2 and half yrs, I glad to hear the good response to our cabinets, I take great pride in the work I do, my only complaint is when making the prairie china doors, I would like to see the sticks placed closer to the door frame, the narrow doors would look a lot better in my opinion, (management agrees, but its complicated to make changes, maybe?) other than that I'm very proud of the work we do. It's a small town, (pop 2,200) and employs many, we don't have a standard we have to meet, so it isn't a rush job, as with any product , there maybe a few blemishes but we do out best to put out a quality product.

• Shelly K
    5 years ago
    I’m considering white Koch cabinets. Are the painted cabinets wood or mdf? A couple of other brands I checked sold wood, but the white was mdf. Thanks!
  • Brian Arant
    5 years ago

They are wood doors/drawers - paint grade birch is what I was told by my KD.