Software
Houzz Logo Print
athensmomof3_gw

Need recommendations on a slide in electric (non induction) range

14 years ago

My parents have a beach condo which caught fire Friday morning. Thankfully they were not there but their downstairs neighbor was. The fire was put out but there were some casualties, including their recently purchased Kenmore Elite range.

They are looking for a new range, smooth top (not induction - don't want to buy new cookware) that is dependable and that has an oven that heats quickly. The Kenmore was a disaster in that regard - it took forever to heat up and you would have to come in much earlier than you wanted to from the beach to turn it on . . . My mom really hated it so she is glad to see it go.

A few requirements:

1. must be electric smooth top

2. must be stainless steel

3. must be self cleaning

Other than that, all recommendations welcome. A fast oven preheat is a big bonus. The oven they are replacing had a warming drawer which they never used and do not need. They don't cook too much when they are there but need something that can bake lasagna and chicken breasts and heat french bread :)

I am attaching a link to the oven they had below. The biggest problem was the preheat time - which was FOREVER.

As far as price range goes, I would think around 2k or perhaps a little more. These are close to 70 year old non chefs and a second home so nothing elaborate is needed :)

http://www.kenmore.com/shc/s/p_10154_12604_02241073000P?vName=Kenmore&cName=Cooktops%2C+Ranges+%26+Ovens&sName=Slide-In+Ranges&keyword=slide+in+range&prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=L8

Comments (6)

  • 14 years ago

    Hi, so good to hear no one was hurt! How scary!

    Anyhow, I can't answer exactly as to the question you asked, but I do have a slide in (gas though) by Frigidaire (which is a division of Electrolux I think), with electric oven, and I just can't get over how fast the oven pre-heats. I have to change my normal procedure of turning oven on as I prepare meals, and have to turn it on much later. It is also convection, which I also like.

    Also, do your parents have a toaster oven? As empty nesters, we use ours way more than the actual oven, and I've converted my Mom too.

  • 14 years ago

    If it helps you, here are the stainless steel, radiant slide-in ranges tested by Consumer Reports:

    Unfortunately they do not measure preheat time. I have an older GE radiant slide-in, and it preheats very quickly.

    I am looking at the two Bosch slide-ins for my new house. They weren't tested, but they have gotten very good reviews.

  • 14 years ago

    We had a Kenmore range that had a second smaller oven on top of the large one. You sacrifice pan storage at the bottom, but that top oven would hit 400 in just a few minutes. The house I just moved into has a Frigidaire dual oven stove, only the small oven is on the bottom. I liked the Kenmore better as I used the smaller oven more frequently and the top spot was easier to access.

  • 14 years ago

    I'm sorry that I can't find the exact range on Sears' site now. But, we've had a slide in electric, radiant smooth top, stainless, convection, Kenmore range for a few years now. For the most part it's worked well. I stupidly did not try self-cleaning before the warranty is up and I am now afraid to try it (because I've heard horror stories of the self clean damaging things on ovens). But otherwise the range has worked well. It has a convection oven and digital controls (which I really like). I think it was around $2k a few years ago.

  • 14 years ago

    Assuming they can't/won't "downgrade" to a smaller range (smaller oven = quicker preheat, almost universally), LG claims that their "dual convection" ranges preheat 30% faster than competitors...but I haven't tried it firsthand, so can't comment on how well it actually works.

  • 14 years ago

    I have a GE cafe Range. It's not a slide in, but it looks like one. Got great ratings from Consumer Reports (if you care about those things).

    I really like it!! Easy to keep clean, self cleaning oven and stainless. The bottom drawer is an oven, but I have never used it for anything other than storing a cast iron griddle.

    Here is a link that might be useful: GE Cafe Electric Range