Software
Houzz Logo Print
scc78

Small livingroom dilemma!

11 years ago
Time for an overhaul but space is limited. Have new leather sofa and loveseat arriving (pic included) What would you do with this space? All ideas appreciated!

Comments (29)

  • 11 years ago
    Love the leather seat, need more drama in your room, small areas benefit from big art, big mirrors, floating shelves either side of TV, side tables with lamps, big area rug, some ideas
  • 11 years ago
    Some more ideas
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Please take more photos of the room, including one from father back so we can see the windows, as well as one taken from the fireplace end towards the other rooms so we get the big picture. That makes it easier for everyone to offer advice about layouts, connecting to adjoining rooms, taking advantage of views, etc.

    One thing I notice right away, is that neither of your sofas face the focal points of your fireplace and TV, but maybe you have other pieces facing in that direction? Again, more pictures.
  • 11 years ago
    As Carolins suggested, a fireplace surround would be a great way to add character to your room with out taking up space. I also love the idea if floating shelves- IKEA some great ones for cheap
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I would not put a surround in such a small space it will look too heavy on that wall I would put a long mantle and us it to lean some art work and maybe a few photos and I would remove the 2 sconces to allow that.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Just as an aside your T.V. is too high.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Patricia is correct, your TV is way too high.I would build up the fireplace with a proper surround and mantle and I would have built-ins on each side of the fireplace one of which could hold your TV. Ideally when you are sitting in a chair your eyes should be at the same level as the TV , you shouldn't have to crane your neck to watch TV. I know that it is very popular to put your TV over a fireplace but that can only really work in a large room where you are far enough away from the TV. In a small room it is always awkward.
  • 11 years ago
    Ideas
  • 11 years ago
    I agree with you all about the tv being too high. When I moved in it was like that and it has annoyed me ever since! I'm just not sure what it would cost me to change it and if it would even be worth it. I will include more photos
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your input. Here's a few more photos to give you an idea of my space.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    If you want to get rid of that stucco ceiling, we have the solution. No scraping, no spraying, no mess, no asbestos exposure. Check out our profile and website for more info and inspiration!
    http://www.houzz.com/pro/laqfoilltdstretchceilings/__public
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thanks for the extra photos. Some thoughts:

    A problem that comes up over and over on Houzz is oversized brown or black leather sofas or chairs that overwhelm a space, even larger spaces than yours. Then many posters are dissatified because they can't make the dark, bulky pieces work in the room because the furniture eats up all the space and light. Just look at all the photos of your two big dark couches now. Since you haven't had the new leather sofa and loveseat delivered, give yourself time to consider whether your room can accommodate two fairly bulky, very dark pieces of furniture. Instead of the loveseat, can you find a match to your slipper chair or consider two not-too-big upholstered club chairs?

    On layout, would you consider the sofa facing the fireplace/TV wall and placing a 12"-16" deep sofa table behind it that would tie in with your entryway. Add another slipper chair to the one you already have in the same print. Have them flank the fireplace instead of a the second, bulky leather loveseat? The sofa/two chairs combo would free up space and give you flexibility.

    --Just as a visual experiment, try to move one of your sofas now, temporarily, facing the fireplace/TV. Then tilt your occasional print chair in the corner to face the couch. Can you picture two easy, smallish chairs, facing that way? One could have a floor lamp behind it for reading.

    --Your room could use a nice rug to tie together the brown, yellow, and blue and white slipper chair. Wait until you decide whether to get two chairs instead of the loveseat, though to get a rug. Then come back and people can recommend chairs and rugs if you go that route.

    --I like your eye chart piece in your entryway, but a great looking vertical mirror that would reflect the living room light might work better.
  • 11 years ago
    Do you watch tv from atop a ladder? Or maybe while practicing trampoline. That must be it
  • 11 years ago
    The TV space appears to be bigger than the fireplace. I'd do something to make the fireplace appear bigger, frame it with some tiles or bricks. You really can't lower the TV unless you fill in the space and remount lower. We made sure our TV was the same and the firebox
  • 11 years ago
    theres a lot of potential for this wall but you need to decide how much work youre willing to put into it and how much youre willing to spend. you can find cheap fireplace mantles on kijiji very easily, and if youre willing to do some drywalling you can either recess the sides of the wall back or bring the centre portion forward to add some interest to the wall. I think doing anything else would make the room look too contemporary (it looks like a very traditional home)
    scc78 thanked jenny
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks again everyone for your ideas they are all so much appreciated. Except for jpp221, you're cheekiness isn't the least bit entertaining. As previously stated, this is the way the house was when I bought it. I bought leather more for function than style. I have a child and I don't want to worry about spills and such. Thought I could brighten them up with some nice accent pillows. I'll get a nice rug once I figure out my new wall colour. Will try facing couch to the fireplace but not sure there will be enough room. I love the idea of the mirror, only trouble is the electric panel box is behind that pic so I'd need something light weight that could come down easily. Lots to ponder between filling that hole in where the tv is or building the fireplace up. I know my house isn't perfect, but it's what I've got and I really just want to make it a comfortable room to be in and hopefully look nice as well. Thanks again everyone
  • 11 years ago
    Hi there! I would put in a larger T.V to cover the space and install a mantel. This would create a focal point in your room and tie in your fireplace/T.V. Happy decorating!
  • 11 years ago
    I forgot to mention....if the budget allows, would be great to add some stone,tile,or other material around your fireplace to make it appear larger.
  • 11 years ago
    You can fairly easily cover up the hole where the TV is now if you give the fireplace a surround and take it up to the ceiling. Some inspiration...
    scc78 thanked Carolina
  • 11 years ago
    Move the TV, cover up the recess as Caroline has suggested with a beautiful surround and mantel. Put a TV off to the side on a low wide console.
  • 11 years ago
    Depends on where you can put your sofas :-) If you don't have space to put one of them facing the fireplace, you'll have to put the TV back on the fireplace wall, but you can place it much lower and to the side of the fireplace.
    scc78 thanked Carolina
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    A brown leather sofa will be fine as long as it's not too bulky for the room--very practical when you have small children. Blues, sage greens, and quite a few other colors go with it if you're changing paint colors. But two brown leather sofas might be a bit overwhelming and limiting for your small room. Two smaller-scale easy chairs, or a matching slipper chair to the one you have would add coziness, lightness, and flexibility to your room.

    I really do need to change my screen name to "Bigleathercouchwhiner." I'm not always opposed to leather couches in the right settings. They're practical, feel comfy, and bring texture to a room. But many are bulky and suck up light and space like nothing else. Then many people wind up on Houzz asking: "What can I do to warm up my space and make it cozier feeling?" The usual answers are to balance out the bulk with lighter colors elsewere, other pieces that are both rustic but with open legs, clear surfaces, smaller-scale easy chairs with wooden legs in color of leather, etc. etc. The sofas you picked have very nice lines. I just wonder if two of them might lock you in in terms of space and light. Over and out.
    scc78 thanked housegal200
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Here's the end result! Still have to mount the TV and decorate but a huge difference since my first post almost a year ago. Thank you every one for your suggestions, I wouldn't have gotten this far without them! Love this site!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The focal point of the fireplace could be stunning - like the Ellen Grasso photo above, submitted by Carolins.

    You could mount the TV on another wall, - at eye level.

    See the before and after we did in a Photographer's Studio. Notice the TV is partially recessed.

    Notice all the components such as the cable box and receiver are completely hidden. It was an easy fix, that took approx 2 hours.

    Wall mount TV with wiring hidden · More Info

    Keep us all posted. And I hope this helps?

    scc78 thanked Transforming Rooms
  • 10 years ago

    It's a super small room so design wise you're right the TV would look better elsewhere but unfortunately it needs to go where it is. It isn't going to make the cover of "House and Home" but it definitely fits with how we utilize this space.

  • 10 years ago
    Your living room looks great! The fireplace looks amazing and I love that wall color. Enjoy your beautiful home!
    scc78 thanked mont215
  • 10 years ago
    I love what you've done so far! Amazing difference. Thanks for the update :-)
    scc78 thanked Carolina
  • 10 years ago

    It looks sooooo much better! Nice job on the fireplace surround and I love the wall color.

    scc78 thanked auntthelma