Software
Houzz Logo Print
tamgirl999

Help! Issue with crown molding over arch window in entry

11 years ago
I stopped by my new house yesterday and they have put in all of the trim. Unfortunately, the arched window above my front door is about an inch too close to the ceiling for the crown molding to go over it, so the trim guys came up with this awful solution. I refuse to let them leave it like this, but I don't know what needs to be done to make this aesthetically pleasing. Any ideas on how to make this look nice? :(

Comments (12)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Put in a different window. Make it square and the width of the door plus frame and lower it so you have enough room for the crown. You are right it looks horrible.

    Edit - Calla has the solution.
    tamgirl999 thanked User
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think the best is to let the crown end at the walls on either side and put a casing to match around the window in a narrower width.
    tamgirl999 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Can the window be lowered? There appears to be too much space between the window and the top of the door. There is no need for a header here as the header is above the window. And the window should have the same casings as the door.
    tamgirl999 thanked Ellsworth Design Build
  • 11 years ago
    Replacing the window is not an option, and I seriously doubt lowering it is as well. This is not a "custom" home build and the brick is already in. I think adding the casing around the window to match the door and tying in the crown molding above is probably the best solution, so hopefully my builder will go for it.

    If not, would it look terrible to have them put the crown all the way across and simply arch the lower portion of it where it meets the window? I'm having a hard time visualizing that, but here in Texas, most homes do not come with casing around any of the windows, only the bottom sills in functioning windows.

    Thank you all!
  • 11 years ago
    Patricia, I thought about that option as well, but the main reason I think that would look weird is because there are 3 ceiling bump-outs all the way down the entry, so when you're looking down the hall, you see crown molding above it. I think if you took it away, it would make it obvious that something is missing there. Here is the bigger view.
  • 11 years ago
    Go with what Calla said you need to frame out that window like the door below and run the crown into it from either side.
  • 11 years ago
    Oh for goodness sakes, why not trim the bottom of the crown to the curve of the window top?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    You can either have them cope the molding as Janmuck suggested or add a keystone.

  • 11 years ago

    So, what did you end up doing?

  • 10 years ago

    I'd like to see how this was resolved. I have a similar problem with a doorway. Want to put in crown, but the arch is very close to the ceiling. Considering either trimming out the arch, or converting to a normal, right-angle doorway.

  • 10 years ago
    My builder had the drywall lowered down at the top part of the window a bit, so the crown was able to fit all the way across it. They simply added some to build it out more. I hope I'm explaining it correctly. I'll try to remember to take a picture of it when I get home.
Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!