Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly61413

Front door

kelly61413
9 years ago
For comfort, energy reasons, and curb appeal we need a new front door. We need lots of other work too! But as far as a door goes we plan to move to a single door with side panels. But I can't stand the matchy matchy white. Do we do dark wood or is there a better way to make our front door stand out. We plan to add a faux stone to the bottom and bushes as well. How do I make this house look great? Please help!!

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I like the idea of a single door with a side panel or side panels.......The width may be too narrow for two side panels.......one might look better.

A red door would look very nice as a contrast to your dark house.

Consider painting the area above the second story windows a matching charcoal.

Also, it would look nicer to have a sidewalk to your front door in a nice paving material rather than entering your house along a driveway.......Look at hardscape and landscape possibilities.
  • sunnysideforever
    9 years ago
    I would like to see an orange front door to really contrast the rest of the house. Also feel potted flowers would brighten it up a lot. Marigolds would really pop.
  • kelly61413
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    More details: the house is painted a color called gun medal grey. However it looks very navy to me. I love the idea of a bright door but quested the color with navy and with it being such a traditional looking house is a bright door too trendy? It's a very mature neighborhood, I don't want to scare the neighbors!
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    9 years ago
    A door a light bright color will look very good. You can experiment with several colors before choosing one.....
    Buy several small cans of paint and paint a small portion of the door with each color before choosing the color.
    Since you said that you plan on replacing the door soon, this experimental painting of the existing door will give you a chance to live with color before you purchase a new door......
    It will look good. Try a deep red, a turqoise blue, a red and yellow......and whatever other color you might like.
  • Emmy
    9 years ago
    Yellow! And then reds and yellows in your landscaping.
  • Emmy
    9 years ago
    Hazlewood Ave, Eagle Rock · More Info
  • kelly61413
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I like all this keep it coming!! We live in a lake so I love the idea of a turquoise. If we do a bright door, what color is the storm door, what about the side lights?
  • kelly61413
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We live on a lake not IN it!!
  • Liz H
    9 years ago
    I paint my front door a couple of times
  • sootsprite
    9 years ago
    Do a search on "dark gray exterior" and you will see many good options for your door color. Here is a good looking wood one:
    http://houzz.com/photos/97944
  • sootsprite
    9 years ago
  • PRO
    DaVill Blinds
    9 years ago
    Yellow!
  • PRO
  • jck910
    9 years ago
    Storm door should match color of main door (or what is the point of painting the main door a great color) sidelights should match the white trim (again you want the door to be focal point)
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    I really don't think I would put stone on the bottom floor. It looks great as it is. Just landscaping.
    Make a Colorful Entrance: 9 Unusual Front Door Hues · More Info
  • PRO
    POCO Building Supplies
    9 years ago
    Don't be afraid of colour, especially if you're painting an existing door. Remember, paint colours can easily be changed. Try something out of your comfort zone and see what happens!
  • Charles Daeda
    9 years ago
    I would buy a different styled front door with more design in an antique white color. The garage door needs stylish windows too. Also, an exterior cedar wood colored siding would look great too on the home instead of the dark color. Plant some more trees like pine or maple.
  • PRO
    102 Interiors Ltd
    9 years ago
    Something that would work with the gun metal grey but not to dark (another grey) or clumsy (like white). I think a blue would be fabulous and you could go as safe (grey blue) or as bold (royal or teal) as you felt like. You could pull it together with blinds or curtains (not the same but with the colour in it). Chrome door furniture ... Nice!
  • PRO
    Laura Frost; Home and Garden Designer
    9 years ago
    Red is the color to attract auspicious energy into your house and your life! I think it would look awesome with the grey house, as long as you stay in the cranberry reds and not the orange reds. Foundation plantings in front of the house and under the windows in the same Cranberry color would help soften the front of the house. I suggest Lorapetalum chinensis 'purpurea', Dodonea viscosa 'purpurea' or Phormium tenax 'rubra' or an Acer palmaturm 'Bloodgood' between the windows...
  • pcasa123
    9 years ago
    I like the red or yellow door idea, & esp natural antique wood, but that would require windows & garage, bigger project. Either way, in order to improve the curb appeal, that 2nd story roofline has to be contended with ( just a paint job or total restyle) but it def takes away from this cute house.
  • elkeelisabeth
    9 years ago
    Whatever your favorite color is...try it on the door. If you have the space try a wider door than the standard 36 in (38 or 40). Also the side lights can be white as in a previous comment. I like the idea of adding shingles to the peek of the house: for texture and eliminate the high contrast. Good luck, we'd love to see the results.
  • PRO
    Seating Innovations
    9 years ago
    I like the idea given in an earlier post- play with some of your favorite colors on your current door before replacing it! Here's a houzz article with some color suggestions: https://www.houzz.com/magazine/9-daring-colors-for-your-front-door-stsetivw-vs~30484710
    I personally love the periwinkle!
  • Cheryl Fadden
    9 years ago
    Red would be my choice. I'm thinking of painting my front entry doors an aubergine.
  • PRO
    ANGELO'S PAINTING
    9 years ago
    I will go with Red color paint...
  • chloebud
    9 years ago
    And plant one of those awesome Japanese maples!
  • PRO
    ANGELO'S PAINTING
    9 years ago
    Any color of your choice will look fine..... I think you have to paint the -garage door same color as the house so the focal point will be your entrance door.....
  • Colleen
    9 years ago
    Do your roof shingles have any color in them? Perhaps you can pull out a green or burgundy. I personally don't like matching garage / front doors. Better to leave it white.i also would like to see the second story painted the same color gun metal grey.
  • Mary Nigro
    9 years ago
    I like the siding color! I would continue it all the way up. Leaving the eaves and trim white. Then red for the door. Pretty red geraniums planted by the door would be charming. All you need is a white picket fence!
Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions