Software
Houzz Logo Print
dawnrasch

Entryway ideas

11 years ago
Needs some suggestions for my entryway. The pictures are from the front door view point and our ceilings are about 18 feet. My current table is too small and it just seems too empty. Should I add a bench or a round table??

Comments (17)

  • 11 years ago
    If you are able, I think a reading chair to the left of your table, with a smaller lamp and maybe a picture frame would look nice. As well as a large rug and the family photo with the other frames on left hand side.
  • 11 years ago
    I think I would add a console table and larger art or mirror on the wall below the photo grouping. Then add a bench where the lamp and console currently are. Be sure to buy one that is narrow so that it doesn't compromise the doorway. Keep it at least a foot away from the door and maybe is only 8" wide.
    Estates at Cohasset Elkton · More Info

    Upper East Side - NYC · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    the wall next to the stairs is curved so it makes it harder to add a big mirror. I like the first picture above, with a table and a horizontal picture.
  • 11 years ago
    No, I would put the mirror on the wall on the left where you have photo grouping not where you currently have your console. The wall appears flat. I would only put a chair or small bench where the current console is.
  • 11 years ago
    I'd try to mimic the oval shape the stairs have created by putting something like this there. Then add a mirror and flowers on it. It's always nice to have a mirror by an entry for that last check before leaving.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    First I would take down all the family photos from there. I would do a bench on the long wall with a large round rug. Take a softer color from the rug for the walls and ceiling. By the stairs add a plant.
    Click to see!
    Wailea Entry · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I like the soft colors in this rug, but think a large round one for your space.

    Your doorway into the rest of the house seems a little narrow and you have a very long site line there with nothing much to stop your eye. I wonder if a french door there would be nice...sort of like the entry door below.
    Lifestyle Photos · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Another way to stop the eye and warm up the space would be barely there narrow set of sheer burlap or linen drapes.
    Renovation: Senoia Farmhouse · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Round area rug. Console table under the grouping of picture frames and replace the old table and lamp with an arm chair and a floor lamp.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for all of the great advice!! Very helpful. I think I will add a round table and maybe a rug.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    You may consider that the wall under the stairs would look great in a contrasting color. Are the walls there yellow and green or it just the light? Neutrals like caramel and cream would look more elegant as your staircase is beautiful. The wall on the left would look good with a large painting or mirror on it and a 18" deep shelf mounted directly to the wall (no legs). Keep it simple and elegant, no clutter or as little as possible.
  • 11 years ago
    I didn't notice how bad the color looked with flash but it is actually a tan color. Thank you for the kind words and I love the entry during Christmas with a giant tree but now it feels so blah. Thank you for the great suggestions.
  • 11 years ago
    Glad to hear tan. Looked a bright, bright yellow!
  • 11 years ago
    I think some kind of seating is needed. Especially if you require visitors to remove shoes and/or boots. Some people really need a chair or bench in order to put foot ware back on.
  • 11 years ago
    A long bench is also additional seating during large parties.
  • 11 years ago
    You have room in the center of the foyer for a beautiful round entry table. Think Charleston. Make it the statement piece for the space. Remove the table, lamp and large wall photograph on the staircase wall. Leave that wall blank - just enjoy the curved architecture and the staircase. For the opposite inside entry wall find a comfortable and interesting bench. Above the bench add a large antique mirror, clock or architectural metal wall hanging. Hang your family photos in a family room or upstairs hallway. You could also paint the entry walls a dramatic color - a rich shade of whatever color pallet you prefer such as a rich brown, deep charcoal or just the perfect shade of red. A friend recently painted her entryway eggplant and it is gorgeous! Don't be afraid of making it a standout space. You are lucky, few people have entryways this large.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I would add a circular area rug and chandelier to begin. On the far left wall I would consider a nice lounge chair and size table.

    I have a blog posts that may help you a tad more with styling this space.

    http://timothyriversinteriors.com/2014/12/06/make-a-statement-in-your-entryway/