Software
Houzz Logo Print
toomanywhitewalls

Need some warmth in the kitchen

11 years ago
Help me warm up mu kitchen decor. Looking for window treatment ideas for the sliding door, palladian window and single window? Rug under the table? I have kids so it might be more of a hassle than it is worth. Anything else I can add to warm up the space?

Comments (22)

  • 11 years ago
    More pics

    Originally I was not planning to put any window treatment on the palladian window but there are certain times of the day where I can't stand there without getting blinded. I was thinking either solar shade with a valance of a roller/roman bamboo type shade.
  • 11 years ago
    Yes a roman shade or a blind/shade that hooks to the bottom of the door like this one....
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Drapes would make a huge difference in your space. Your best bet is to speak to a window treatment specialist or Interior designer to find the solution for your palladian window. I would avoid only installing blinds, you won't get much impact from those. But, used in conjunction with drapes, you will solve your natural light issue as well as obtaining the visual contrast you are looking for to "warm up the space.

    You might want to look into indoor/outdoor rugs for under the table. They are durable and easy to clean. Artwork on any large wall, helps to finish off the room as well. Finally, I would add plants or flowers to the space to give it some life. You have a beautiful kitchen. Once you get some drapes in there, it will look amazing.

    I look forward to seeing your "after"!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Amazing space...I would being with a simple Levelor shade for the windows...if you don't heavy drapes..

    Secondly, I would put an oversized rug under the breakfast table...

    Third, dramatic..possibly copper pendants over the island..

    Finally, set and stage the table and counter tops with china, placemats, flowers and stemware...

    These tips I think will help warm up your space.

    I have a few blog posts that may help you out..
    www.timothyriversinteriors.com/blog

    Lovely home!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback and compliments. I will look into getting an indoor/outdoor rug under the table. I will have to determine which size is the best. Fully extended, like it is in the photo, the dimensions are 84"L x 40"W. Add in the chairs which are 18.5"W x 21.5"D. Any suggestions?

    Just did a quick search on overstock and came up with these.
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Indoor-Outdoor-Medallion-Multi-Rug-8-x-10/7894153/product.html?refccid=UKW5PWZ6GH3JMS2JLQQSU6M7QQ&searchidx=0


    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/nuLOOM-Handmade-Alexa-Eco-Natural-Fiber-Cotton-Border-Sisal-Rug-8-x-10/5186345/product.html?refccid=UKW5PWZ6GH3JMS2JLQQSU6M7QQ&searchidx=1


    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/nuLOOM-Handmade-Eco-Natural-Fiber-Chunky-Loop-Jute-Rug-8-x-10/5186325/product.html?refccid=UKW5PWZ6GH3JMS2JLQQSU6M7QQ&searchidx=2

    I like the color in the first one. The second one is probably too blah. The third one is a nice texture but not sure about the fringes on the end with kids and dog.

    Also, there are plans to get pendant lights over the island. We have a spot for three lights there just haven't picked something out yet. I will probably end up getting a new light over the table as well. This was standard with the builder but not particularly my style.

    Moving into a new home is overwhelming and it takes lot of time to get everything in order.
  • 11 years ago
    Well I like the Oriental Weavers rug, but it doesn't appear to come in the right size. I will look around for something else. Rugs USA is having a sale maybe I can find something good over there
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think I have seen similar rugs on Home Decorators site as well.
  • 11 years ago
    How about one of these rugs?

    Also still looking for some input on window treatments for the palladian window over the sink, the slider and the single window.

    I am leaning towards a natural roller shade over the sink and drapery panels for the slider. What about the single window?
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Looking at the ceiling, it seems as if the junction boxes for the pendants are NOT in a row or am I seeing this wrong?

  • 11 years ago
    You have a beautiful home! I would call jcpenney custom decorating for drapes and roman shade over sink. They are always having sales. How about a professional putting on a tinted film on the half circle? It's too pretty to hide. I was at Costco today and thy had large indoor /outdoor rugs for $129.00.
  • 11 years ago

    UV film the round beautiful window. Nice color for kitchen.

  • 11 years ago
    Whispar Design all the junction boxes are in a straight row. I need to get some pendants hung up in there as well.
  • 11 years ago

    Like the chandelier, but think it would look better lower. The general rule seems to be about 30 inches from tabletop.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    You have some great options for rugs. I would contact a local drapery store and determine what you are going to do there first. They are used to working with unique configurations and are able to give you beautiful options to meet your needs. FYI, Your drapery will cost more than you rug and will determine your color scheme. Best to figure those out, then find a rug to coordinate. Good luck!

  • 10 years ago
    Here are some updates in the kitchen. We just installed the blinds last night. I am pleased with the way they turned out. I plan to add some fabric panels to the sliding door and will probably add a matching valance to the single window.
  • 10 years ago

    Those are nice! Are they solar? From where?

  • 10 years ago
    Thank you. Yes they are solar. Ended up getting them from Blinds.com but they are Bali. I shopped at JCP for the right color and fabric and bought them cheaper from Blinds.com
  • 10 years ago
    How is the height of this pendant light? It is 30in above the counter but I feel like it needs to be a bit higher.
  • 10 years ago
    Where did you get the rug? It looks great
  • 10 years ago

    Did the blinds have a funky smell? I returned mine years ago back to JCP.

  • 10 years ago

    How about a valance on the window above the sink...perhaps a combination of two fabrics that are part of the same line. Then take one of those fabrics and make some seat cushions for your bar stools too. I find that fabrics really warm up an area, and can be changed easily when "the current color" is no longer current!