Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikehansma

Need help deciding what material to use to build a deck.

mikehansma
11 years ago
We are going to build a house in April and cannot decide what type of material to build our deck from. We want something that is low maintainance and does not crack or split

Comments (36)

• Margaret Phillips
    11 years ago
    I put in a deck using Trek decking system three years ago. It looks fabulous and I love the piece of mind that comes from maintenance free deck life.
  • mikehansma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for ur advice. Does ur deck made from trex not split over time from rain and sun?? I know someone that had that issue but maybe there is different qualities??
  • Margaret Phillips
    11 years ago
    No the deck is still perfect. The dirt, leaves and soil come but they all wash away. I have a PVC/vinyl railing which I'm glad to have used with it as well. It has been more than three years. I had not heard about splitting. I suppose there are all different types. I know several people with Trek or similar product theirs are all older than mine, no one has had any trouble. I was able to get mine at a discount retailer that carries discontinued colors. The colors unless outlandish never vary too much, tan, beige, reddish. Mine is a heavy tan beige.
  • mikehansma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Well thanks so much! That helps a lot in our decision. Hopefully we can find a discount retailer as well!
  • PRO
    Architectural Elements
    11 years ago
    I like Ipe (ironwood) and tiger wood. I am not a fan of wood and plastic composites.
    ArchEle.com
  • PRO
    Metro Interiors
    11 years ago
    This house is deffinintly calling for a ceder gizabo!
  • mikehansma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I know nothing about ironwood other than it burns awesome in our fireplace. It's not commonly used around here for anything. Is it pricey?
  • R W
    11 years ago
    I would use wood to make the deck because your house is made of wood:)
  • PRO
    Mountain Laurel Handrail
    11 years ago
    Ipe/ironwood is expensive. It is imported from South America.
    Cedar is a good alternative that is from North America, so the price, even for premium quality lumber, will be much more reasonable. Composite is also a good alternative and there are many good manufacturers.
    AND...
    This house is a perfect match for Mountain Laurel Handrails http://awoodrailing.com
  • PRO
    AFC inc
    11 years ago
    Ipe , Mahogany , Tigar Wood , Jarah are expensive .These woods looks impressive and can last many decades but all of them need maintenance as well as the cedar. Composite materials maintenance free but has own disadvantages .
  • mikehansma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    If you mix and match composite with cedar will it blend together? Can u find a wide array of colors in composite? eg... Composite deck with cedar gazebo
  • PRO
    Mountain Laurel Handrail
    11 years ago
    When using different products like composite and cedar, I would try to contrast them as opposed to trying to blend them together.
  • Margaret Phillips
    11 years ago
    If you look at Trek's website they have some amazing colors.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Please google Trex and research some product problems prior to making your decision. We used it for our deck and within a year it was spotted with unsightly black mold/mildew. It is hardly the low maintenance product we were hoping for.
  • PRO
    RNW Construction
    11 years ago
    From our experience with Trex, it seems to weather well. Just keep in mind that it will still have certain characterics in common with wood. The one issue that we have seen happen is from having the boards transition from one substrate to another. As an example, if you were to have a length of board mounted to both wood framing and concrete just be aware that the Trex will move differently over each of them. This is due to normal expansion and contraction conditions of each substrate. This would happen whether you use Trex or regular lumber.
  • mikehansma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your input:)
  • PRO
    Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Just curious, but where you are planning to locate the deck, does the grade slope down? If not, and your first floor is not too high off of finish grade as your front elevation indicates, would you consider a stone or paver patio instead? Less maintenance, no fading of color, etc.
  • Good Taste
    11 years ago
    Why would you not use the same materials the house is going to be built from? By definition, decks are made of wood. Wood in sunlight will last about 10 minutes, but. Wood under cover will last well.
  • Good Taste
    11 years ago
    Is that really your house? I bet $10 it aint. So, why post it and have people respond as if it is? The reason I ask is that if that is your house, then what to make your deck out of will be pretty obvious. No vinyl for you.
  • mikehansma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Well u can send 10$ via PayPal. I am picking up blueprints today. I smell jealousy!
  • mikehansma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The proposed deck is on the back side of the house. We will have a walk out basement. Deck will b about 9-10 feet off the ground.
  • mikehansma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here is floor plan
  • mikehansma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here is front elev. will post rear elev later today
  • creeser
    11 years ago
    I would go with the trex. We used wood for the deck at our lake house and have fought it since. It cups and warps. Wish we had invested in the trex to begin with, but will definitely replace with it.
  • Good Taste
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I didn't read the top of the post. That isn't your house, that is a photo of a house with the same design.... If that was your ACTUAL house, and you had manicured it to infinity, then it would be clear which materials to use: either the wood that the house was made from or the stone that surrounds the house. My point: you don't have your house manicured THAT much without an intense sense of what is aesthetic. If your actual house looked like that then touching vinyl or (choke) aluminium would give your a rash. If your house ACUTALLY looked like the one in the photo, then you would have a covered deck because someone so obsessive about the appearance of a house would be careful to have a deck in the same architectual style as the house: that might be why someone suggested a cedar gazebo. But, if you had mentioned that the deck would be 8' off the ground you would not have wasted their time.

So, you actually owe me $10, but I'll forgive your debt because I should have read the start of the post! If you want to have the last laugh, then post in 2 years with your house looking just like the one in the photo! If I were jealous, then I would have stopped looking at Houzz a long time ago. Most of the houses on here are owned by people with real money, the 0.1% ers.

The house in the plans is not the same house as in the photo. Sigh. It's bigger. But you already knew that. The reason for the rant is that people are all the time posting questions with photos off the net that they imply are from their house. The surrounds of a house and the colours and textures of the house inform the readers about the big picture. If your ACTUAL house was in a more industrial area, or had more industrial colours, then you might be more happy with steel, for example. If you had concrete driveway, then you might be more happy with concrete columns.

People who ask questions seem to forget this or not realise that people need lots of info to help. When you put misleading photos, you mislead the people who reply and wast their time. A classic example is when people ask what colours to paint their walls but don't say what colour their floor is - but people who ask this question usually post ACTUAL photos of the space. You also didn't say (not that I saw) whether or not the deck was to be covered. If wood is covered it will not rot. If wood is not covered, it will rot. See: you cave too little information, and the information you did give was misleading.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Take a look at this quick review of Trex from Ehow. It describes the mold/mildew problem I experienced. http://www.ehow.com/about_5544772_problems-trex-decking.html
  • mikehansma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This is the same house other than a couple of slight changes. Colors are exactly what I'm using and so on! By the way, this house will be built with real money. Thanks
  • Peter Maguire
    11 years ago
    beautiful future home, congrats. As a pro exotic wood dealer, who buys and sells millions of bd.ft. of Teak, Mahogany, purpleheart, ironwood, zebrawood.., trust me., while these woods are the ultimate, they are serious overkill and expensive beyond words (Phillipine Mahogany the possible exception). My advice, your house, use the best grade local to your area ?? redwood, cedar, etc. just maintain it every couple of years and it will last longer than you, with real beauty of age. Something that composites can never duplicate. It's your house, but in my view, composite decking is great for high end condo developments, not a home of this character. If you can afford this home, you can afford $200 every 2 or 3 years for upkeep.
  • mikehansma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'm leaning towards cedar. Thanks for your honest input!
  • mikehansma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    If you have so much doubt on this house then why waste your time posting negative comments? After all you are the last person I would ever take advice from!! Put your time and effort into something someone actually cares about
  • PRO
    Mountain Laurel Handrail
    11 years ago
    I see the trolls have come to Houzz.
  • PRO
    Doctor Structure
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have had great success using solid 'green,' not kiln dried, 'log run,' not select, white-oak as a deck material. It is a very strong and durable material. It has, in my experience, greater resistance to decay than does cedar. It tends to darken and so should be treated with a uv resistant oil.

In general it is my opinion that the "maintenance free" products are really just disposable products. Trex and similar composites have a very limited span they tend to sag and deform over time. Once they fade the finish can not be rejuvenated as it can be with natural materials.

5/4 white oak can be framed on a 2' center 6/4 can be framed on 3' centers allowing for a more open underside and a variety of architectural forms not available with composites. This sort of option, well treated, is a lifetime installation as long as the homeowner accepts the responsibility of routine maintenance. Ipe can also be utilized in a similar fashion. Though Ipe is an imported product and White Oak is a North American wood.

Location matters in this regard. In the northeast I am able to purchase white oak from local mills directly and even to visit the mills to select the material myself.

Urban deck and garden · More Info

• PRO
    Ruebl Builders LLC
    8 years ago

Azek or Timber Tech if iron wood/Ipe is out of your price point

• Rozanne Bass
    6 years ago

What type of wood did you end up using? We are building a home in the northwest with a similar wood type theme and corbels, but it will have a cover over all the decking. I'm considering cedar or redwood. Did you choose one of these?

• PRO
    SolusLumber.com
    6 years ago

Hi Rozanne, We agree with Noel Cross+Architects. Do you intend to keep the wood oiled or let it weather grey? If you intend to Oil then maybe massaranduba if that's the aesthetic you're going for? If you go to our site www.soluslumber.com you can see photos on each individual specie (as well as some videos maintenance in the video gallery) and that will help give you an idea as to what the end product will look like. If you're going to let it weather grey than it is really just a question of price/durability. If you go to the following project on our Houzz profile you can see an Ipe project that is both covered porch and uncovered porch. On the covered portion the material can be milled into a T&G profile so its really more like hardwood flooring. The uncovered portion is standard pregrooved decking with a gap so water can pass through. (Note you can put pregrooved decking in a covered application, but do not put T&G in an uncovered application) https://www.houzz.com/projects/2745609/5-4x4-tongue-and-grooved-ipe-burlington-ky We are fans of cedar, but for durability and lifespan a tropical hardwood like Ipe or Cumaru should long outlast cedar and redwood. Let us know what you both choose/have chosen and give us a shout if you have any questions!