Software
Houzz Logo Print
dstefa

I need some design advice for my dining room.

13 years ago
Hello,
I need some help with the design of my dining room. The wall color is Benjamin Moore-Silver Half Dollar and the curtains are velvet material in plum/eggplant color. I can't decide on a rug color. Plum or Grey or other? I've attached a picture of a rug I'm considering. Also what kind of fixture would suit this room? Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you :)

Comments (20)

  • 13 years ago
    Love the wall color. The rug could be either gray or plum. Are your chairs beige? If so, I would probably go with the plum color for the rug because beige and gray don't work too well. Have you thought about recovering the chairs with a print fabric? A brocade print would look nice. As far as the light fixture, I would go with one of those long rectangular chandeliers with the glass droplets, if you like that more modern look. They are really dramatic, and would look nice with your long table. They have some beautiful selections at "Illuminations" here in Tucson. It should definitely be hung lower than the one shown in the photo. A bold piece of artwork on the wall as a focal point, hung above a low buffet table, if you have the room. Can't tell from the photo.
  • 13 years ago
    @qunicyboy1 the chairs are bone color leather with espresso wood. I was thinking about adding a chair rail and picture frame molding to give the walls some character.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like the rug you are considering in the grey, Very Classy room! I would use the Plum/Eggplant as an accent for some artwork to compliment the drapes. You could repeat the drapes around the doorways for a very intimate dining space! Also I see a venetian mirror and a chandelier with a touch of crystal, larger than what you have now. I tall sideboard with legs or a hutch between the chairs on the end wall.
  • 13 years ago
    You should add pictures to make things pop it would add lots of color to your dining room if you want to make the pictures stand out the pictures should be a different color than the rest of the room.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    How about an orb chandelier.
    [houzz=
    Dining Room · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The shape of the light fixture should echo the long narrow line of the table.
  • 13 years ago
    A chair rail and picture molding would look great !! If you want to go even more "formal," you could think about adding complimentary crown molding as well. As far as the fixture, I don't think it HAS to be rectangular. The orb chandelier suggested by monica15 would be a good choice also. It's a matter of personal preference, and what YOU think looks good. There are no rules, necessarily, only wise choices. Good Luck !!
  • 13 years ago
    I went ahead and bought the plum color rug. The grey had already sold out :( hopefully it will work.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like the idea of an oval or oblong light fixture, just don't get the type that look like billiard table or kitchen island ones! I have attached a couple of pictures of lights that will work
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I like these for a longer table like yours, even the billiard style has changed with the advent of drums. My preference would be something with more of the bone color of your chairs, if simple with no bling, so your table decor will be the focus. Have you thought about an accent color? Please post with the new rug in place.
    Bryant Large Billiard Light | Circa · More Info

    Contemporary · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I purchased this fixture and I'm hoping it works in the room. I'll post photos once it arrives and is installed.
  • 13 years ago
    Beautiful room - perfect paint color and window treatments. I would use a crystal chandelier, your choice looks lovely. Try hanging it lower than the current fixture, it is hung too high. I would use, if your not too concerned with spills a lighter colored rug - possibly a greyish sisal or light colored long shag, it will help to lighten the room.
  • 13 years ago
    The rug arrived today, it was a nice surprise considering I was told my order couldn't be filled. Turns out the rug was shown on Miami Housewives and sold out after I placed my order and they had over sold the stock. Well here it is...I should have it in place when I get some assistance moving this table. I'll post updated photos then.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Like the light. Like the rug. I hope it is large enough. At least 30" on all sides larger than the table. Great color.
  • 13 years ago
    I would remove the long runner and instead use runners than formed placemats. I think the long runner accentuates the long table and long room. stripes going the other way would make it more balanced. Paint the far wall the same color as the runners so it stops you eye. Also ad dark arrangements on the far wall coordinating with the table.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Paintings:)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi I think you hang artwork that is clean and simple. I have a new collection yet to be out. You are the first to see it. Visit http://3523studio.com to see others
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    This discussion is from late 2012.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Oh! thanks