Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shsmith

Grain in Granite

Sharon Smith
9 years ago
We are near the end of our kitchen remodel. The granite has just been installed.

I do not believe the grains match on the left side and the right side of the counter. Am I being too particular? The fabricator is supposed to meet with us today.

We have another slab of this granite left.

Comments (48)

• lynseytippitt
    9 years ago
    I personally would have it redone. It's a new install, they should fix it to your liking!
  • PRO
    Amalia Smith
    9 years ago
    Love it
  • Carol Johnson
    9 years ago
    I like it as is.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    granite has grain. it is not even. if you liked even you should have gone with a man-made recycled surface like silestone, caesarstone, cambria.
    The fabricator of granite must work with the slab you purchase. If they did not do it this would you would have had to buy an extra slab. lots of $$$$.
  • Sharon Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I did buy an extra slab. I still have it.
  • cabingirl13
    9 years ago
    can you post a closer photo of the installed granite?
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    then get your granite the way you wanted.
  • Sharon Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Right side
  • leelee
    9 years ago

Why would you purchase an extra slab?

• PRO
    Kimberly Earle / Mid South Kitchen & Bath
    9 years ago

Ask if they have slab smith technology. This is where they photograph the slabs and plan the cuts so that the grains are going in a similar direction. It appears by the photo that the grain is going vertical to the right of the range and horizontal to the left. Personally this would drive me crazy. I would use your extra paid for slab and have them match either the horizontal or vertical side. The direction would be your preference as either would look fine.

• PRO
    9 years ago

By the way the cabinets are beautiful. What is the color and who is the manufacturer?

• Sharon Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    They had me purchase the extra slabs.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

if they had you buy the extra slabs and they are paid for already I would make sure they correct the directional issues. Does make me wonder how they worked out the template measure to feel the need for such a large amount of excess stone.

• Sharon Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The cabinets are customer built
  • leelee
    9 years ago

That sounds very odd. I'd be mistrustful of a company that sells granite and "tells me" that I must buy an extra slab. That has to be a real money maker for them!!! What a rip-off.

• User
    9 years ago
    Adjust your expectations for a natural material. You either get more seams, or you have some cross grain areas. The reason the grain is different there is because your corner piece does not have a seam. If you seamed that corner, your granite would be obviously two pieces at right angles of grain. This way, the range breaks that up, and you get to not have a corner seam. The fabricator chose correctly.
  • Sharon Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    There are no seams on either side. The edges are beautiful. The fabrication seems to be very well done.
  • carriedish
    9 years ago
    How frustrating! Your fabricator should have discussed this with you before he made cuts. Mine did. That being said, its now ultimately a cost issue. Are you being refunded the cost of the other slab if you don't use it? From a design stand point, I don't think the issue that is so obvious to you now will be apparent when you get your kitchen set up. Your cabinets are beautiful. You will have accessories on the counters, appliances to catch your eye, and lots of places to look. Right now all you see is wood and stone. I actually love the "not perfect" look you have right now, but you have put in a lot of work and $. Your opinion matters more than anyone else's, including the fabricator's.
  • Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

i have a large rectangular glass trivet next to my cooktop to place hot off the stove pots. will you do the same? once you put it there you really will have much less of an issue than you do now. its up to you.

• PRO
    KR Kitchen Remodeling, LLC
    9 years ago
    I'm a little befuddled as to why you bought more slab and not just square footage as my clients pay for.... but, given that I can't tell if they turned your template so the grain on the left is going side to side while the right goes front to back? what I recommend is for you to pick a side you like and then go to the fabricator and place the template on the remaining stone with them to guarantee its done the way you expect it. most people are unaware that you can do that and not just leave it up to the fabricator. stone with movement is really important to match up as you can see....
  • Sharon Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    He had me select two slabs in order to have adequate granite to match the grain. I am only paying for square footage. Why he chose to just use one of the two slabs is a mystery to me.

He has failed to show up this morning. Thus far I have paid 50 percent. I want this resolved before I pay the remainder.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    It's stone. It will look different on a counter. It's nothing to stress about. You need a backsplash that will pull it together. Take a color from granite. Painting or staining cabs would be nice. And show off beautiful granite better. Wall color is not good.go a taupe, I think I see brown in slab? Or gray?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Sorry didn't see tile, I'm on my phone. It looks yellow? Doesn't seem to go. Those small knobs on cab. Are not good either. Sorry you just asked about matching slabs. I get carried away. It looks fine.
  • Monica Mauney
    9 years ago
    I think it looks great because it is natural stone and don't think it will be noticeable once your range is in and things are on the countertops. You are probably the only one who will really see it. If it bothers you and will be an eyesore to you then make them fix it. Otherwise insist on a refund for the other full slab. (I didn't read all the other responses therefore I am responding only to your original question)
  • Sharon Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Color in granite is colonial gold. Thus the name of the granite.
  • dclostboy
    9 years ago
    On one side the pattern goes horizontal and on the other it goes vertically. Pick which one you like and have him replicate in the second slab.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    I think it looks great as is. I'd leave it.
  • mick50
    9 years ago
    So, I'm confused. You say you are only paying for square footage, but you "bought" the second slab? Will you get a refund on the second slab? Or do you mean you reserved two slabs that could be used if needed? And personally, I think the grain looks fine. Its natural stone. It's going to run a different direction somewhere since there are no seams. But if it bothers you, and you won't get a refund on the remaining slab, have them fix it.
  • Sharon Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    He had us go choose two slabs and they were delivered to the fabricator for our use. We were charged according to the square footage for our kitchen. So, I should have stated it that way.
  • Sharon Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Cabinets were custom built by Lyndel Crouch of Crouch's Cabinet Shop Russellville, Arkansas. Painted by Miguel Martinez.
  • mick50
    9 years ago
    Your kitchen is beautiful.
  • lindler
    9 years ago
    I think it is beautiful, but at the end of the day, you are the one that has to live with it. Will it bug you every time you see it? If so, then ask for resolution.
  • User
    9 years ago

You're overthinking this. You may end up with a result other than what you're looking for. Granite is a natural product and this particular one is a good choice for kitchens with angles as there's no obvious direction.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Sharon - I used to live in Conway AR! You should approach him in this manner. Ask if he still has your original template (he should if he just installed) then suggest that you meet him at his shop where the second slab is located. The two slabs should be exactly alike - then have him layout the template the exact way he did for your top and see if the grain shifted. He'll either have to admit to making a mistake or you'll have to see that it's the stone and you'll accept the installed top. This will show him you are trying to be reasonable and gives him an opportunity to redeem his reputation. - Good luck!

• Sharon Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for your wise advice! The other houses we have own have already had the granite installed. This is the first time we have done a remodel this extensive and chosen granite. I am not trying to be unreasonable.

I have appreciated all the answers today. Unfortunately the fabricator did not show up.

I was here all day while the wood floors were being installed.
  • Sharon Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I do want to add he has installed granite in all three of our bathrooms as well as on a wet bar in a game room. He has done an excellent job.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

WOW, I wish I was working with you on this one! You're not be unreasonable - it's all in how you approach people - making a mistake with stone is a big $$ issue but he should want to make you happy. An unhappy client tells EVERYBODY, and unhappy client who was made happy in the end tells EVERYBODY and asks them to tell EVERYONE they know! He may just be feeling a bit afraid to face an unpleasant situation, approaching him in the manner I've suggested should help him make you a happy customer. If he doesn't come through I wouldn't make a campaign against him but I definitely would not refer him to anyone - if you got him through your cabinet/design/sales person, I'd make them get involved and help you solve the question.... Glad to be of some help! I'm facing another foot of snow tomorrow on top of the 3 we received last week - bet you don't have that problem :)

• Sharon Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I found him myself. He has a wonderful personality; however, he will not respond to this issue.

My future recommendations depend on how he handles it.
  • Sharon Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sunshine and 60 degrees
  • User
    9 years ago
    So, what do you actually want? More VERY obvious seams? Or no seams but a change in direction that is camouflaged by the range space? You're not getting your cake and to eat it too.
  • TnHummingbird Andrus
    9 years ago
    Sharon, I have read all the comments and studied your pictures. Our daughter has granite, I think it's the same Colonial Gold. My best friend had granite, don't remember the name & I went with her to pick it out. At first I agreed with most and said leave it. But after looking and studying your pictures I would definitely change one of the slabs since you have an extra & I would NOT. Pay the fabricator for another cut or install. It appears to me the fabricator has miss cut the granite, it is very apparent by the grain direction. No I am not an expert. I have ceramic tile counters. But I am kinda OCD about things. Change either side of your choosing, just make sure it matches the grain direction of the other. I love your cabinets and under mount lighting :) could be the lighting, but your backsplash does appear yellow. It doesn't look bad, I'd add color in accessories to pop those counters! You must show us a couple of pics when kitchen is complete! Good luck!
  • TnHummingbird Andrus
    9 years ago
    Correction...my friend HAS granite & just one quarter turn of the slab and the fabricator would have had it right :) hope this helps and makes you feel better about it.
  • Sharon Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Met with my fabricator today. He was very professional. I am going to keep the granite I have and have my range installed. I think we are both satisfied. He sees the issue; but I am cooperative. We both win. Thank all of you for your help.
  • lindler
    9 years ago

I'm glad it worked out for you. Your kitchen is beautiful - enjoy!

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

Just make sure you are happy with the results. It's your new kitchen & you need to be satisfied. Beautiful, by the way. Fabulous cabinets. Great color. What color are the walls. Do you have a yellow in the marble?

• Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

great news. and if you dont already use one of these consider it, it will push the two "mismatches" further apart, and you can slide hot pans off the stove onto it without worrying about anything cracking. you'll still see the colors of the granite through it.

glass trivet

• Sharon Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes the granite has the gold all through it. In fact the name of it is Colonial Gold. Thank you. It is coming together. We are about one week away from completion of a full house remodel and moving back in!