Software
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

The Perfect Sink (for me)

11 years ago

So, I've been looking & looking. I'll find one that has this, but not that, or that, but not this...

I had thought I'd go with a 23" Kraus SS under mount, but my KD suggested I go with an offset drain to make room for trash, recycling, etc. under the sink. Also, the Kraus is deep (10" plus an under mount,) so that will take up space and I'm concerned that such a deep sink will be uncomfortable.

My current (over mount) SS sink is only 7.5" deep (& 18" round) and, while I'm looking forward to having a bigger sink, of all the things that have bothered my about my current kitchen, the sink is not one of them.

So, what I'm hoping for:

~SS Under mount

~Will fit in a 30" cabinet (somewhere in the 23 - 27" range)

~Offset drain (I'm hoping for top right hand side)

~Not too deep (especially given that it will be under mount)

~(edited again to say) I want whatever it is when the corners are rounded for ease of cleaning.) (I guess NOT zero radius)

~Not too high end (appliances, etc., will probably be low-mid range)

If you have thoughts on if I have to compromise on one or more of these things (depth, offset drain, cost...) which one you'd do, I'm open to all thoughts.

Edited to add: I do not plan on getting a garbage disposal. I also realize that I may be asking too much, with my laundry list of wants...

Here's the sink I've been living with:

{{gwi:2144702}}

This post was edited by carrieb on Sun, Feb 8, 15 at 22:18

Comments (13)

  • 11 years ago

    Zero radius refers to sinks that have square corners, many would argue they are harder to keep clean, not easier...

  • 11 years ago

    Ah, ctycdm - then I did not mean zero radius - I meant slightly rounded corners. Thank you for the correction!

  • 11 years ago

    This is an old thread, but maybe it'll be helpful?

    ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0623345529626.html

  • 11 years ago

    For me the perfect sink will allow me to place a cutting board across it-sort of an extension to my countertop that can take a lot of water.

    I would also take some time to study the new drains that are emerging, some of them are rimless, so there's less to clean, others have a little built in basket so that stuff doesn't go down the drain...

  • 11 years ago

    This meets all your qualifications - 25"w (23"w bowl), 7-1/2"d, right rear drain, undermount, not too high end, stainless steel, undermount, rounded corners. Elkay's website is down now so here it is on a popular retailer's site. Another version of this one is available with a built-in clip that accepts attachements for holding sponges, brushes, and the like.

    This may work too - it has a 28" bowl, 8" deep, though the sink including the undermounted rim is 31-1/2"w - may not fit if there isn't an adjacent cabinet or the countertop doesn't overhang on one or both sides.

    Finally this one which would fit, is an inch wider than the first one (24"w bowl), has squarer corners but not zero-radius, is 9" deep, and costs less than the others.

    All of these are available with hardwood cutting boards that fit across the top, as well as strainer grids that sit in the bowl covering the entire bottom except the drain.

    I agree with your KD about the rear corner drain. Not only does it free up useful space in the cabinet by moving the plumbing to the back corner and out of the way, but it means the first plate or pan you put in the sink won't cover up the drain.

  • 11 years ago

    Jillius - thank you! I had done a couple of GW searches @ sinks, but don't think that your link came up for me. Good to have it now!

    Practigal - good ideas @ cutting board & drains. Will definitely check out the drains. I compost, so food waste is never thrown out here (and why I don't want a disposal.)

    Lee676 - Thank you! I've saved that first Elkay you posted. I'd had another Elkay on my list, but the bowl was deeper on the one I knew about - that one could be perfect!

    This site (actually, the people who populate it) continues to be my salvation.

  • 11 years ago

    Hi carrieb_gw,

    I found a couple of sinks that may fit your requirements:

    Moen G18195L - 23" length 5.5" depth. It has the top left drain instead of top right per your requirement.

    Houzer STS-1400 - 23 7/16" length 9" depth. This one doesn't have the top right drain but it isn't at the center of the sink either. The drain is a bit above the center point of the sink if that makes sense.

    I see that you mentioned being uncomfortable with deeper sink. You should be careful with that since it may cause you some back pains in the future. If you do a lot of cooking or prep work with big pots, consider a second sink for this purpose that is deeper and a shallower sink for everyday work to avoid backache.

    Hope this helps.

    Tyler

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks, Tyler! Wow - 5.5" is really shallow - even this an inch (an inch and a half?) added for under mount, that might be too shallow for me - though maybe not.

    I have found a bunch of sinks with the drain at the back - so I can always end up with one of them, if the first one that Lee676 mentioned above isn't available or something.

    I have a tiny kitchen - so a second sink isn't an option for me.


  • 11 years ago

    Carriebor,

    You're welcome. Glad to help.

    Ty

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Your current sink is very interesting. I have never seen anything like that. Where did you get it?


  • 11 years ago

    I love your current sink! Hope it finds a new home somewhere or with someone.

  • 11 years ago

    Rachiele - funny you should ask... The sink was in my home when I bought it 15 years ago. For a while, every new visitor to my house had a theory: "oh, that was a custom design!" or "that must be an old industrial/restaurant sink they found to use!" and on from there.

    A few years ago, one of my neighbors, who is friendly with a former (two or three owners ago) owner of my home asked if she could connect us - her friend would love to see her old house. The friend came over, walked into my kitchen and said "Oh, you still have this sink! I love this sink. I got it at IKEA when they first opened. They don't sell this model anymore."

    I wish I could find a good use for it.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Wow! That is so cool. I love the look of the setup. I am sure it is not the most comfortable to work in though. Thank you so much for responding. Dino Rachiele