Software
Houzz Logo Print
southerndreams

Floor Plan Help Needed!!!

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

We are currently working on floor plans. I'm not happy with the kitchen/dining space. We are building on a 3 acre wooded lot and plan to clear only the manicured back yard and a small manicured lawn in the front. Side yards will be landscaped. The sun will set on the front of the house but the trees are mature and tall so it will be pretty well shaded. There will be a second floor with 2 more bedrooms, a full bath, a laundry and playroom. Here is the criteria and my thoughts/concerns...

1. We are trying not to add square footage due to $$ but it is not out of the question if it makes the floor plan a whole lot better.

2. We are trying to keep exterior walls straight so we can keep the roof line straight because of $$ concerns

3. I love windows and natural light. There is the large window in the family room that looks out the front of the house. I would like a fireplace on the left wall of the living room with a window on each side. In the kitchen THINK I want a window over the counters 1. looking out to the porch 2. on the left wall. The dining area will have no windows because it is interior. If I do both windows in the kitchen I loose pretty much all opportunity for hanging cabinets in the kitchen. Question #1: Is that going to look weird? Question #2: My husband thinks one window in the kitchen is enough and I should sacrifice the window on the left wall and add hanging cabinets. Is he right? Will there be enough light to keep the dining area from feeling dim?

3. The kitchen island is off center. Question #3: Will that look ok? It holds the sink, dishwasher and trash.

  1. The space between the table and the island is tight. Question#4: Will it be ok? What can we do about this?

All suggestions are welcome. Even those including reorganizing the floor plan.


Comments (5)