Software
Houzz Logo Print
ahemric

Help! My sofa was gray in the store, but looks brown in my house!!

13 years ago
I custom ordered this sofa. In the store, it looked extremely gray (what I wanted), but now that I have it in my new condo it looks brown. I'm not able to return to it, so what can I do to make it look the gray that I wanted?

Comments (32)

  • 13 years ago
    The blue paint has a lot of gray in it...may want to try a beige or taupe color wall.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Sigh. I've seen this so often in woman's retail. The ol' "changing gray"! You buy the gray skirt in the store because you are tired of black and when you take it out of the bag at home....it's GREEN (or brown)! Sad to say, but lighting in the stores is HORRIBLE. A swatch that you take home would have been the only way you could have avoided this.

    You have a sofa that is taupe (brown taupe...but taupe none the less). Taupe naturally has a gray background....but not enough for your taste...obviously.

    The "gray" on your wall is turning quite "blue" in these pictures...this blue is "highlighting" the "brown" in your taupe sofa. A new paint colour would go a long way to help out your situation. You may have to look at a colour other than gray on you walls.

    The other part of this dilemma is the blue sofa cushions. On a gray, this would make the gray look blue. On a brown taupe the blue highlights the brown! Thus, with the gray/blue walls+blue pillows, you have inadvertently produced the PERFECT colour scheme to make your taupe sofa turn BROWN.

    Now you need to go the other way. You need to find some colours that will turn the taupe to a gray. I will let the painters/designers take it from here! I'm not very good at suggestion wall colours that bring out furnishing colours....but you definitely need to change the walls and the pillows to produce a "gray" sofa!
  • 13 years ago
    I think both of you are right! I painted the walls Behr's Porpoise before the sofa had arrived. I do not mind painting again and/or changing the pillows if anyone has any suggestions they think may work!
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe try a sage green theme? That always works well with brown.
  • 13 years ago
    Bring the samples home to put next to the sofa/flooring. I compare at different times of the day and at night with lights to make sure it is right.
  • 13 years ago
    Looks nice. I would just add some gray pillows and a rug that has taupes and grays in it.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Lighter and brighter walls would help. mmilos' suggestion about the rug is a great one.
    Live Creating Yourself · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    So far the advice has been spot on. Now it's time to tackle another color choice for the wall. If you swap out the throw pillows to something dramatically different that will help you on the quest for a new color. I think the best course of action at this point is to let go of the gray thing. If you keep focusing on changing the couch's color you will never be happy. Nothing will ever get you past it. The reality was that it has always been a sort of mushroom taupe color which does have a lot of gray but isn't gray. Now the focus has to be, What will look great with my new taupe couch? If you buy new pillows in a couple of different colors it can get you started in new paint color choice. Just keep the cushion you like and take back the ones you don't. From there most paint stores sell cheap samples. Pick out a couple of colors based more on cushion less on couch. (You can bring cushion with too. You can't bring couch:)) A bold choice might lye in the dark rich colors like a good dark coffee or chocolate but anything in the solid beige arena will work also. Also put paint samples on boards not walls. Then you have flexibility to move them around room and look at them independently rather than in contrast with one another. You will love the couch again, you just have to view the situation from a fresh perspective and let the initial disappointment go. Good luck and post an after picture!
  • 13 years ago
    Add a great piece of art to enhance the space. Click on the link below. It is my photography shop and I can customize size.

    https://www.etsy.com/listing/102481897/shoreline-of-st-maarten-caribbean


    You may want to browse. You can buy it printed on canvas just contact me. The listing is for an 8 in x 10 in. If you like that size you can order two or three in a similar theme. Let me know if you need assistance.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for all the advice everyone... am considering Benjamin Moore's Cedar Key at the moment. What does everyone think?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    By chance, are you sure the store got your order right? Have you brought home the grey fabric you ordered, just to be sure it was manufactured in the fabric you selected? If it was, then we continue the quest (and I would toss a brown cushion on there, dark brown, to see if it counteracts the colour and helps it read more grey,) though to be honest, I don't see how we can make this fabric look grey....to me, on my screen, this is taupe leaning heavily to brown.
  • 13 years ago
    DON'T PANIC. Taupe and red is stunning.
    Effervescent · More Info

    Buena Vista condo · More Info

    Stone · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Wow Great Place-Unfortunately I did get what I ordered. I actually took the cushion back to the store and compared it with what I had based my order off of. My cushion looked gray in the store! I asked what type of lighting they use and apparently it's LED. The camera on my iphone isn't the best, and the pictures make the sofa look even browner than it is in my room.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    When a gray turns brown, the remedy is brown... (as in throw pillows, art, etc.) which will turn your sofa back to gray. Then you paint your wall in a color close to your sofa. Once you have done that you can add your other colors. Ahh, just noticed that Wow gave you the brown advice. Good. :)
  • 13 years ago
    Is that a Bennet sofa from EA?
  • 13 years ago
    Do you have fluorescent lights on your home? If not then try them out. Not only economical and "green" they may affect this fabric. Accents will too. I have a couch in similar fabric that I got on purpose so I could change if I got tired of grey later on. I have white walls with blue accents and it brings out the gray now
  • 13 years ago
    Embrace the brown-it's nice. Change out the bright green to more of a jade hue, add a rug (carpet has a pink undertone), introduce a sweet potato color or squash, change the walls to a color 1-2 shades lighter than the sofa, and add art or a mirror or whatever. Done!
    Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Transitional Living Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Transitional Living Room · More Info
    ]
  • 13 years ago
    Can YOU change your lights to LED?
  • 13 years ago
    I like your sofa regardless:)
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Jaworma-The sofa is actually from Bassett.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Nice! Though not quite grey yet, the sofa is definitely more taupe (that in between shade that can go either way)
    The change in wall colour helped, and likely the lighting made a huge difference. Try the dark brown somewhere, see if it counteracts the brown in the sofa....just for fun!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Agree with Wow regarding the brown and changing the wall color.
  • 13 years ago
    NICE!!! totally looks different! great job!
  • 13 years ago
    Sofa definately looks more grey now than before! Good job!
  • 13 years ago
    Good job so far. How about some brown wood accent pieces and pillows with a brown pattern plus whatever other accent colors you like. If you like aqua, get brown/aqua pillows to go with the ones you already have. I think it looks much more grey in the new picture.
  • 13 years ago
    What would disappoint me more than the color is the wrinkles on the lower cushions. I bring this up only because your story rings home for me. When my sofa arrived, the color looked quite different in my home. Yes, I reprinted the walls to help... But I had the same wrinkle issue and brought this up with customer service. They came today, did some magic with steam and it looks like a beautiful new sofa. It made a world of difference. Maybe I can post a before and after this weekend.
  • 11 years ago

    I am having the opposite problem. My brown couch is reading more gray now that it's in my living room. How do I bring out the brown in the couch and dampen the gray? Thanks!


  • 10 years ago

    why don't you swap couches with the Ahemric!! LOL


  • 10 years ago
    I work in a couture fabric shop and one of the biggest challenges is matching colors. There are colors, such as taupe and say, periwinkle, that change based on what colors are next to it. For example, periwinkle looks purple until you put it next to purple, and then it looks blue. Put it next to blue it looks purple. Same with taupe. Put it next to gray and it looks brown; put it next to brown and it looks gray. Lighting is a huge factor. We have fluorescent lighting which will change all colors. So we take the customer outside to see what color you perceive it to be under natural light. So if you want your sofa to look more gray, put it next to brown.
  • 10 years ago
    Omg. Just realized this thread started in 2012. Well, still relevant.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Change your light bulbs to GE REVEAL - ALL of them. Cheap hi-efficiency give a yellow cast, fluorescent give out a green and LED tend toward blue. GE Reveal will get you closest to natural sunlight....