Software
Houzz Logo Print
midwestmelissa

Brighten up my VERY DULL living room (throw pillows/curtains help)!

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

My living room is SO dull and safe. I am looking to brighten it up some with new throw pillows, lamps and maybe sofa slipcovers and drapes????

Everything is so brown....ugh! I just don't know what colors to go with? Can I add burgundy? Mustard? Rust? Patterns?

I don't have the money to make major changes right now, so new carpet, all new furniture or major renovations are not an option at this time. So even if you are not a fan of the olive beige carpet, it has to stay. ;)

Thanks everyone!

P.S. You will not hurt my feelings by telling me what needs to go or be changed - give it to me straight! ;) LOL!

Here is a view further out :)


Comments (61)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago


    Transitional Living Room · More Info

    Quirky House Renovation · More Info

    Brighter colors in the room will cure your blahs.

    midwestmelissa thanked pcmom1
  • 11 years ago

    Look what I have...it's the old floor plan they drew up to change the original plans! Hope you can read the measurements okay. :)

  • 11 years ago

    Any thoughts on this rug? Just worried about the olive carpet. It's 8x10.


    Here is an actual photo from a buyer who put it in their home.


  • 11 years ago
    Maybe you want to decide your furniture placement before deciding on the rug?
  • 11 years ago

    Here's a floor plan for you to consider: Note: Ignore the angled wall and leave blank. Elaborate on the back wall with an interesting buffet and art, art, art. Colorful art is indicated in red. Place an area rug over the carpet to anchor the seating area. When entering the house, it is nice to have a cabinet with drawers for all that "stuff". This plan makes the room cozier and inviting! Hope you like it!


    midwestmelissa thanked Denise Marchand
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Love the rug! Thanks for the pics and dimensions-was a big help. You are now officially in the designer "pool"! I can tell by the rug, you were itching for us to tell you to go for it!

    midwestmelissa thanked Denise Marchand
  • 11 years ago

    Paint Tip: Always paint two coats to achieve the richness of the paint pigment.

  • 11 years ago

    You have the designer runway going there with all the furniture lined up and all that open space. I know it makes a great play area for the kids, though. Moving the furniture to make an L will change the dynamics of the way this whole space looks and the kids can play behind the couch, too, with maybe even a bookshelf there as a console table to hold their toys in baskets and games.

    The dining furniture is quite special and you must feel honored to have it.

    midwestmelissa thanked abbyjean
  • 11 years ago

    NO rush for a rug. I will be honest and say I am not always a fan of a rug over carpet. I know it grounds the space, but little ones can trip on it, too, or you can while holding them and sometimes it makes me wonder what it is covering up underneath. Add your color with art and pillows and I think you will be happy.

    midwestmelissa thanked abbyjean
  • 11 years ago

    Back from errands and read all the comments. Agree, there is nothing better than getting some furniture sliders (home depot, etc.) and start sliding things around.

    Dining room: I would put the china cabinet on the back wall where the art is. That will shorten the bowling alley effect that is going on now. Then I would turn the table and add the leaf and add a couple more chairs.

    You will need to move the smaller buffet. Maybe to behind the back of the sofa, or to the wall that the china cabinet was on.

    Living room: lots of good advice given. Definitely try the other arrangements and post photos for us.

  • 11 years ago

    With the china cabinet on the back wall and the table turned, this would be more the impact as you enter the front door:

    Traditional Dining Room · More Info


    midwestmelissa thanked pcmom1
  • 11 years ago

    Denise Marchand. It is so very, very helpful to see a picture of the floor plan. I could never even have imagined my house set up like that - I love it! Everyone has suggested that I move my furniture and you are all so right! It may take me a bit to get it done as my son just got a new train table and it is center stage in the room right now. ;) But after a couple of weeks, I think we will be able to move it elsewhere.

    I think I'm going to start by looking at some art pieces and throw pillows. I usually like to look at Target and Kohls because they have affordable stuff that still has a designer-inspired look. Think I'll head to Target's website tonight after I get the kids to bed. Just have to decide on colors. Still scared of adding colors. ;)

    Thank you from the very bottom of my heart.

    Melissa

    P.S. Do you think the drapes should be changed? Or are they okay to stay?

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    abbyjean - Thank you for all of your input! And yep, my set-up was really based on allowing the kids to play freely. I am all on board for changing the furniture around, I just hope my husband is as well. ;) I know I always worried about a rug on carpet too...but then again, I'm always worried about the kids getting hurt on something. That's actually why there's no coffee table at the moment, my son fell and hit his head on it. It's in storage right now. It will come back sometime. :)

    I am going to try and figure out some cool throw pillow colors and go from there. Just still not sure which colors. Thanks for all of your input, I feel honored you have taken time to give me your ideas!

    Melissa

    I'll post more as I get things done. :)

  • 11 years ago

    pcmom1 Fantastic idea for moving the dining room around. I will move that too. :) I think that will be a fantastic idea! I am so excited to get started....may take a little while to get moving, but I am taking this advice and making some changes. You are so kind to take time out of your life to help me, thank you.


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Love Love Love all of the ideas. If anyone has any suggestions on throw pillow colors or even specific ones from somewhere that mix together, I would love to hear. The pillows are going to be my starting point. I just don't want to spend $200 on throw pillows and have them look awful. I'm planning to paint the walls (not sure what color yet), but keep the drapes I have for now.

    I'm going to check Target and Pier One for throw/accent pillows. My friend said Wal-Mart even has decent ones online. I will start online browsing to see.....Well, off to see what I can find on throw pillows. :) Heartfelt thanks to all!!!

  • 11 years ago

    I love the idea of moving the hutch in the dining room and turning the table. If you did not want to add extra chairs, you could have 2 on each side and then the ends would be open....better traffic flow and an open view out of the window right there. The small piece MIGHT work, but love the idea of it behind the love seat when it gets moved, too.

  • 11 years ago

    You can find pillows at Target for $20 and guess they would be the same at WalMart and Pier 1, too.

    midwestmelissa thanked abbyjean
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    The two pillows shown on the love seat and the throw shown in your first set of pillows may STAY. They are good, especially the throw. Do not buy another one. Add to those pillows. Find a pattern that ties those two colors together and get two of them. Maybe larger than the ones you current have and a different fabric. Not a stripe, as you have that in the room already. Even a pretty spring one with birds and branches and trees on it.

    midwestmelissa thanked abbyjean
  • 11 years ago
    While you're looking for pillows look for curtains, too!! That's another place to throw pattern and color into the room. You might be able to get a coordinated look if you search for both at the same time. Try JCPenny, Overstock, and even HomeGoods is selling curtains these days. I'm excited for you!
    midwestmelissa thanked golfer32
  • 11 years ago

    I wouldn't rush out to buy pillows, rugs or art. First move your furniture placement the way you want it. Not sure what a train table is but if you move your sofa to face the TV and the love seat to face the window, can the train table go where you'd put a coffee table? If you don't have a long space like this then there's less crazy running and less likelihood of falls.

    Great idea to face your beautiful hutch into the room, and turn the table. I wouldn't add the leaf. Once you decide on a final place for the table, center and re-swag the lamp so that the bottom is 30-34 inches from the table (if you have a standard 8 foot ceiling).

    Then re-hang your existing art work. You have lots of nice wall pieces but I don't think they are placed to display the art or the furniture to best advantage. You may find that you don't need any more.

    Pillows and paint come last. For pillows, since your sofa is smooth, choose pillow in either a velvety or rough-weave linen look fabric for contrasting texture. If you purchase new curtains, again choose something like a textured linen-look rather than shiny fabric. The contrast in textures gives a room interest and life, even in neutral colors.

    midwestmelissa thanked partim
  • 11 years ago
    Take a look at this photo - leather sofa with stripe curtains similar to yours in a different color. When you get to the paint stage you can pull a color from the curtains, something a little warmer to help ground the room. Or a really fun and unexpected color - You have 2 young children!
  • 11 years ago
    Sorry - here's the link. http://houzz.com/photos/88941
  • 11 years ago

    You could freshen the feel of your dining room by re-covering the chairs. I'm not that handy and I did it with just a staple gun - there are lots of internet instruction videos. With a young family you may want something fun like an unusual print or color, or a fabric with writing on it. Fabric stores have anything you can think of. They also often have throw pillow covers, so you can cover your existing sofa pillows rather than replace them.

  • 11 years ago

    Work with what you have for now. Don't buy anything. The nice thing about furniture, is that it can be moved around! The Train Table as a coffee table is a cute idea. The existing curtains can stay. If you like the area rug you posted, pull your paint color from there. Do you like warm or cool rooms?

    We all love to help and it's easier to give advice then to do it for ourselves! I am an interior designer in the NYC area and I still call fellow designers to pick my own paint colors! Have fun with it all.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Remember when my kids were small, I took foam insulation made to go around pipes and outlined the coffee table (and every other sharp edge). Not a great look, but loved the added safety!

    Another spot to shop for curtains on online at World Market. I found ones I love for my bedroom there.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    These photos are just to show various furniture arrangements that could work:

    One: sofa and love seat facing and closer, with large soft ottoman as coffee table. A large ottoman could be covered in great fabric to bring in more color (rather than a rug).

    Miller Residence · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    sofa and loveseat in an "L".

    Transitional Moroccan Castle Pines Home · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    Coordinating all the accessories and curtains, art, pillows, etc. takes time so have patience. If you can find that one thing you really love (can be a small thing like a throw pillow), it is a good jumping off point:

    Living Room · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    Love the pillows in the last photo you posted, pcmom1! I also like seeing the added silver/nickel color, that would look nice too. :) You are helping me out so much! :)


  • 11 years ago

    golfer32 - Thank you so much for your ideas!! I think I will first start with moving things around a bit next week and trying to use what I have...I even have some artwork in the closet. ;) I think then I will get a few throw pillows to bring in some color that coordinates. I also love the idea of lowering the light above the dining table...I would never have thought to do that. Thanks so much!!!!

  • 11 years ago

    partim - Just checked out a how-to video on covering chairs. I am not handy, but my mom is very creative and wonderful at sewing, crafting and stuff like that. She said she would be able to help me cover the chair pads this summer when she has more free time. Thankyou!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Take pics and dimensions of all your art and post here. An exciting arrangement of art all together for that back wall would definitely make a statement!

    The art does not have to be in the same frame. Actually, I like all different sizes.

    What I like about this art arrangement is using the entire wall and not confining the art to only over the sofa (or over a cabinet).

    midwestmelissa thanked Denise Marchand
  • 11 years ago

    When you are ready, take a look at Joss & Main online. They always have fantastic pillows and accessories all on sale. It might be a little bit more $, but much better quality and pillows you would't see in Target. (I do like Target - good stuff). Just another resource.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    If your mom is good at sewing I bet she could make you throw pillows. That way you can shop for material that you love and coordinate a few different ones. I have rarely found any pre-made throw pillows that go well with my furniture!

    I have never looked at Joss and Main, so can't say about that.

    It seems to me that pulling together the big things in the room is much easier than the little things....

    Train table could be a great coffee table, as another poster mentioned.

    Prospect Park West · More Info


    midwestmelissa thanked pcmom1
  • 11 years ago

    I just bought some fabulous pillows for myself from this site and thought you might like it. http://www.gilt.com/sale/home/pillows-231477?q.start=45

    This is also one of my favorite sites online. The quality is unsurpassed and the selections are usually unique and young. If you just buy one or two of these, it will make a design impact.

    midwestmelissa thanked Denise Marchand
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Thank you, Denise! You are amazing! I just quickly looked over the pillows, but will take a better look during my boys' nap time later today. :) I am really liking the different textures! I think I need to add a little "unique and young" ;) I have always decorated a bit "older" than I am. In my first home in my early 20's, my home was mostly rustic/primitive style decor - my friends always called it "Granny's House!" Now that I am getting closer to 40, I still love some of those pieces, but I am wanting to add a just little bit of color and fun! ;)

    I bet you love your job...especially doing in New York!!!!

  • 11 years ago

    Okay, so here is where I am at. I have removed all of the little unnecessary things from my entertainment center. I also removed a few brown items and will replace them with some items to add color later. Very small thing, but totally made a difference!

    I ordered the furniture sliders and should have them early next week. (Believe it or not, the nearest city with actual stores is 30 miles away and with 2 little ones, I don't get there too often). I will then start moving things around. My husband says he doesn't want the furniture moved, but he will be surprised when he comes home one day next week! ;) LOL!

    Then I am going to have to make a decision on 3 larger things; whether to paint the walls (and what color), whether or not to add a rug and what to do about the sofa & love seat....The sofa is pretty damaged and not in the charming, distressed way. ;) We were going to buy a new set, but that would mean no money left to do anything else. So, we have thought about just getting slipcovers for the time being. I know sometimes they can look cheap, but I've also seen some that look great! Thought about maybe a beige color and then add some bright, fun throw pillows. Or if I go with grayish walls, maybe gray-tone slipcovers. I am just scared of trying to make gray work with my current brown, moss/olive and navy colors.

    Then I will move on to the details...pillows, decorative items, art etc. :) The really fun stuff!

    You have all been so amazing and helpful and I truly appreciate it. I will keep you posted if you are interested in my progress. :)


  • 11 years ago

    Yes I do love designing - actually, I love spending money and I don't care whose it is!!

    With little ones, maybe just keep the sofas as is. If you are thinking of replacing at some point, don't spend any money on them. On that note, I bought my mom a good slipcover from Surefit online. They always have good ones on sale also. I would keep it in dark brown, and just work on the paint, area rug and pillows, and furniture arrangement. That will make a huge impact.

    We love being kept informed on your progress, and with pics. I find it hard to try to help and never know what anyone ended up doing. Keep in touch.

  • 11 years ago

    When selling your hubby on the new layout, put the kids to sleep, light some candles, pour some wine and watch a good movie together. That should do it!

  • 11 years ago

    ;) You made me smile!


  • 11 years ago

    Just so you know, I moved our bedroom furniture around by myself when hubby was fishing. We have a huge long dresser too! Just took out the drawers and used a couple of now ruined cookie sheets. I figure if I can move it an inch at a time, I can move it across a room!

    Sometimes it is nice to be able to not have to wait for hubby. My girlfriends and I also play the game of "come on over and let's move furniture"! They are much more patient when it comes to trying out multiple arrangements and moving things just a few inches to tweak!

  • 11 years ago

    pcmom1 - LOL, that's funny! I think changing things around while he is gone is my best bet. :)

    My husband usually loves all of the changes I make to our home. He is just a bit grumpy during the transition. Always asking why I want to change things when they are "perfectly fine" just as they are. ;) I just got so lost on what to do with my living room and dining room and all of you have been so helpful!

  • 11 years ago

    pcmom1 Oh and I laughed when I read your post about the pipe insulation on the corners! ...We have kitchen counters that stick out pretty far and my husband and I cut those foam pool noodles down the middle and put them around the whole thing. It's hideous, BUT my little guys' heads have bounced off it it a few times and I count my blessings that it was there to protect them. ;)

  • 11 years ago

    Yes, think Houzz should do a story on decor around protecting toddlers' heads!

    And, I swear, we are all married to the same guy!

  • 11 years ago


    pcmom1 - Too funny!!!!! ;) I love this site! Great advice and wonderful people to chat with who make me smile!

    Have a great day, everyone! I'll be back next week with some photos of changes. :)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    So I haven't forgotten about everybody's amazing suggestions, just ran into a little snafu.....the large TV in the photo is my husbands and it's an older model projection TV. The problem is that since it is not a flat screen, it is a very deep TV. It comes out over a foot behind the entertainment center. so where it is currently located you don't notice this, however, if we move it to the other wall where denise suggested (and where I totally want to move it now), it will be the first thing you see when you walk into the room. Darn TV!!!! So I'm working on my husband to invest in a new flat screen instead. We'll see how that goes. :)

  • 11 years ago

    Would placing the large plant beside it disguise/camouflage the back of the tv?

  • 11 years ago

    I have the same problem in my den and you walk into the side. Everything in the room takes your interest but I can't wait to replace it with a flat screen. The darn thing works perfect.

    The back wall in your room is key, so make sure there is something to look at. That will bring your eye to the art.

    midwestmelissa thanked Denise Marchand
  • 11 years ago

    I know it! The darn thing works perfectly and my husband has some sort of bond with it. I sometimes wish I knew how to secretly go in and make it stop working, LOL! ;) Big, silly looking thing. He said he will look into a flat screen if he can find one used or on a really good sale. Going to look once we get our tax return back. Hopefully I'll be moving some furniture by next month!!

    Also, found a larger art piece at Pier One that I think I'm going to get. It is a vibrant piece compared to what I currently have and I think it will be good on the back wall. And got some throw pillows there as well. I am definitely taking all the advice I've received. I've created a little notebook with all of the suggestions and ideas. :) Just waiting on the dinosaur of a TV to become extinct! ;)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    It's a full year later so maybe you have made major changes...or not. Here goes:

    Looking at the gloomy room, quite honestly, I feel like I am back in the womb! Light gives life! Making your living room bright and fresh and inviting will lift your spirits and give you energy.

    If you paint the walls a creamy colour, the room will brighten up and your wall unit will go well with it. I would banish those leathery 'crocodiles in the swamp' to the basement.

    Can you just pull up that swampy carpeting? Is there a wood floor underneath? If not, could you put one in?

    You can move the sofa away from the window letting in light and providing views...and place it facing the TV (better viewing)...with a glass console table behind it so that when you enter the room you are not looking at the back of a sofa. Here's one at $152. https://www.houzz.com/products/console-tables-prbr0-br~t_1052

    IKEA has some new sofas that are really nice and reasonable. Many have removable covers that are machine washable btw. Greige would be a nice colour.

    Once you have the main pieces in place, you could put in a stylish and reasonably priced round, glass or acrylic coffee tablehttp://acrylicparts.com/acryliccoffeetable.html which visually disappears unlike a wooden, heavy looking coffee table. With some nice lightinghttp://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/product/oval-rattan-table-lamp-collection/216609?categoryId=20548 you are all set! WowWhatever you decide on, be daring and have fun!

    Renorobin from Montreal