Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marissa_digennaroburg

Framed or frameless shower?

Hello everyone!
My husband and I are building a house and one of the upgrades we wanted but cut because of costs adding up was frameless glass for our master bath. The standard is framed with chrome, and the cost to upgrade to frameless glass is $2,200. Now I am thinking we should just go for it because of the layout of our bathroom with the shower sticking our further than the tub when you walk in from the bedroom. I think it will look more open and modern with the frameless thus worth the added cost. I will attach a photo of our floor plan and the master bath in the model home. Our bathroom will look different as we have a long vanity instead of the pedestal sinks and have upgraded all of the tile choices compared to the model. We like the modern contemporary look. What do you think? Worth the added cost? Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (35)

• Ann
    9 years ago

When our house was built 10 years ago, the shower door and two sliding glass doors to the exterior were very low quality. We've since upgraded all three. I'm wondering if you just go with the standard, if you might be able to upgrade later to a higher quality frameless shower door than the builder would install for equal to or less than the price of the $2200 upgrade. A shower door is a fairly easy install for a pro. I think our old one was out and the new one in in just a couple hours.

• PRO
    Overland Remodeling & Builders
    9 years ago
    If you can afford the frameless, go for it. It looks cleaner in my opinion.
  • grobby
    9 years ago

If at all possible, I would go with the upgrade. Are there other places in the in the budget that you can tweak. You probably won't be happy with the chrome shower door and in a few years when you replace it, the cost will be more. Good luck!

• Michelle G
    9 years ago
    When you think about the cost of the upgrade it seems like a lot but divide that into all your mortgage payments...hardly anything. When my husband and I redid our master bath I wish we could've afforded the frameless. It looks so clean.
  • PRO
    Michael Friedes Design Associates
    9 years ago

Definitely try and go for the frameless. It is such a clean seamless look and you will never regret it. Things like that are important to do from the outset, because you will probably never be inclined to replace it once it is done. Good luck!

• sunnydrew
    9 years ago
    We lived with our cheap builder sliding shower doors for 12 years and then just gutted the whole bathroom. The new frameless glass come this Friday. It will have the track like in your photo. I am so excited to use the new shower.
    If you can add it now, it is better than ripping out the old later. As long as they are using 3/8 thick glass at least and decent supports.
    If you get the standard shower doors now and want to add glass later, the walls may not support that. You need extra blocking in the walls to support the hinged door. Remember to ask about that.
  • kathleen MK
    9 years ago
    Can't tell you how bad I hate our framed shower door. To replace it will be Around $700. So you might ask at lowe's or home depot then use those quotes to get a lower price on your upgrade. They might come down if you said you were just going to wait to upgrade later. Or yours may be a lot larger and they have the best price. You won't know without asking.
  • Ann
    9 years ago

I'm wondering about the price too. If it's VERY high quality, it might be worth it now, but if not, buy your own of very high quality later. I just went to a design center with a friend buying a new home and some of the upgrades were too high in price, with not very good upgrade options. The upgrades (brand names) I would have wanted weren't in the list of options.

• Marissa DiGennaro Burg
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate your advice. I'm thinking we should just go for it. Hope I can get my husband to agree!
  • Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

i'd go frameless and skip upgrading the tile or something else. when you walk in and see the framed, fancy tile wont help. when you walk in and see the frameless you'll never notice the tile.

• Edie Nicosia
    9 years ago

I agree I hate the framed ones I have been now to rip them out and put in shower curtains. gun collects on the frame. I am now looking for a non custom frameless door option. Can anyone hep with that ? which would be the best company Dreamline etc? thanks and I hope you go for it and get frameless you wont regret doing so.

• PRO
    VanGo Shower Glass
    9 years ago

Uh, unless you're shower is as big a cathedral, you should be able to get frameless 10mm clear for a lot less than that, even in Canada. I'm a full Journeyman and I don't charge close to that.

• Ann
    9 years ago

That's what I was thinking VanGo.

• Marissa DiGennaro Burg
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's relatively big, like 5 ft long by 3 ft wide and it has this odd shape with the step in it like in the photo. Also includes installation with the builder. I asked today if there was any way to lower the price and they said no.
  • Marissa DiGennaro Burg
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Not in Canada either, just Buffalo NY!
  • User
    9 years ago

Go frameless and don't look back or blink. I hesitated at the price tag too and thank goodness my husband said... "we came this far why stop now"... it is what makes the bathroom!!

• shars55
    9 years ago

Frameless! I had a framed one in my last house, and now I have frameless. Frameless looks so much nicer!!!

• Ann
    9 years ago

Sunnydrew, what a fun day at your house!!!!!

• User
    9 years ago

Have to agree, go frameless - from the beginning. They are expensive whenever you do it, might as well buy your house exactly as you want it now.

• Marissa DiGennaro Burg
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for your advice everyone! We talked to our builder, and they will let us take an $800 credit for the framed glass and subcontract it out. But I called and got an outside quote and it was $2000-$2300 depending it we get a shower guard treatment for easier cleaning anyways so not much less than through the builder. My husband thinks we should just let the builder do it, to make it easier. I'm thinking we should at least check with a few vendors. What do you think? Thanks again!
  • PRO
    Surroundings Custom Interiors, Inc.
    9 years ago
    You will always regret not doing it. It's expensive but you can't go wrong with it. Maybe another company will give you better pricing. Talk to your builder.
  • Ann
    9 years ago

I think there might be quite a variety in quality of shower doors. If so, that would be the deciding factor for me. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when making the decision. If the price is close to the same for the same quality, I'd go with the builder. But, if you can get a higher end door through an outside contractor (for the same price), go with an outside source.

• annmsantana
    9 years ago
    Definitely get the shower guard treatment! I had mine for 5 yrs. and the new buyers thought we had just installed the doors.
  • Ann
    9 years ago

Here is one article about it (from a shower door company) and it does look like quality can vary. I'm not familiar with this company, but I just did a quick google search on shower door quality and this looked kind of informative.

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/9339525/thumbs/understanding-cost-variation-in-frameless-shower-doors

• PRO
    Overland Remodeling & Builders
    9 years ago
    There are few factors that affect the price.

1. Glass color - green-ish glass is the most common. There is an option to have the glass to be supper clear but is much more expensive. 95% of my projects I do with the green-ish option unless the homeowner is willing to pay the premium for the supper clear.

2. Glass thickness - Are you asking for 3/8" or 1/2" glass? If 3/8" is an option go for it, there is no reason to step up to 1/2" unless it is necessary.

3. Squeegee - Opt-out for the diamond seal, it is just BS, you'll have use the squeegee with or without it
  • km kane
    9 years ago
    Definitely worth it! Go with your builder, and yes get the diamond Seal, it isn't BS! It helps protect the glass over time, especially if you have hard water. And of course you still have to squeegee to clean - that's not what the diamond seal is for.

Yes yes yes, for for the frameless. You will not regret it.
  • PRO
    BuildEx
    9 years ago

Everyone seems to love the frameless showers. We always try to minimize the amount of metal by having the door hinge again the wall rather than at piece of glass. Usually you will not need a metal top rail. You will also have the option of clamps or c-channel along the bottom. I have a picture were the owner wanted the heavy duty clamps and hardware and no c-channels. This shower also has custom 3/8" thick dot glass that obscures the view.

Glass and Tile Dream Bathroom · More Info

www.goBuildEx.com

• printesa
    9 years ago

I would do frameless. I can't stand our framed shower doors..the track is a pain to clean, not to say impossible. The fewer things to clean, the better. Agree with Overland Remodeling about the seal. A friend of mine has the shower doors sealed and they still need use the squeegee

• mark617
    9 years ago

Go for it, you will not regret it!!!!!!!

• Lori Rea
    9 years ago
    Go with the frameless, the framed dates the bathroom and with the vanity you are doing it will look great!
  • J Corn
    9 years ago

Wow, just saw this thread after I posted a similar question. From what I am seeing here, they seem much, much easier to maintain than a standard metal framed shower. Hope they become classic. We won't be redoing our bathroom again, not after our upcoming redo, unless we win the lottery. We aren't breaking the bank but we sure aren't going under budget either.

• serenat87
    9 years ago

The frameless looks really cool. It will make the space look bigger, and as someone before said, cleaner.

• PRO
    VanGo Shower Glass
    9 years ago

When discussing showers & quality, the main difference is selecting between custom & big box kits, which generally leak. Badly.

Other factors influencing price are:

1. Thickness of glass used

2. Type of glass used

3. Whether the installer is a trained glazier or not, and

4. Hardware used. It should be solid brass, then coated in your finish of choice. Clips are preferred to u-channel.

95% of my work is 10mm/ 3/8" clear "greenish" glass, even for high end design clients. Going to 12mm/ 1/2" is a bit more money but some people prefer the look. Keep in mind it does add more strain on the hardware due to weight and often requires larger hinges (which cost more).

The other clear glass opotion is low iron or "Starfire" which reduces the greenish hue. This adds significantly to the cost of the glass (up to 50% of glass cost), and therefore could be contributing to the $2200 price tag mentioned above IF they are quoting Starfire.

Do not use u-channel/ c-channel. Installers using it generally do so because they don't trust themselves to measure accurately to within 1/8" (industry standard). U-channel allows installers to cheat by hiding inaccurate measurements, but it gathers muck quickly and just doesn't look as nice as a proper frameless installation.

"Diamond coating "or whatever they call it is a cash grab. Buy glass sealer and apply it after installation but before using your shower for the first time. It is not an expensive product.

I only mentioned Canada because we have to pay more for materials than our US counterparts, so one would expect American pricing would be less than mine, not more. I am a Journeyman Glazier with 25 years experience in finishing glasswork.

Heavenly Ensuite · More Info

Glass & Photo by VanGO Glass

Design by Sarah Gallop Design Inc.

Built by New Vision Projects Inc.