Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yannick_epp

My bedroom project

Yannick Epp
9 years ago

So this is my little bedroom remodeling I was working on. Maybe a little bit of background informations about myself and the starting situation: I am still a student living in Switzerland, so my budget was very limited. As I love to get inspired by many interior projects and I loved to look trough all those Before & After projects I decided to write about mine as well.

My bedroom

So this was my bedroom before I started to rearrangement.

I actually already started to redesign it when I bought my first Full sized bed one year beforehand. I am sorry about the mess. I wasn't planning on posting my project at that time so they were basically just some random photos I took of my room. I used a wide angle lens, that's why the place looks quite narrow but in fact it isn't.

The change

My primary goal was to get more free space while increasing the space for storage. I also wanted to gain a tidy, simple and bright atmosphere throughout the whole room. I started off by rearranging the furnitures.

This was my first attempt. I moved the bed to the other side just to see what it does to the room. I knew I would have to replace some of the furnitures with some more simple and practical ones in order to be able to get more free space and that desired atmosphere.

I loved the free space I gained after I sold my old, bulky desk. A problem was the black USM shelf, which is a lovely piece of design but it was just not suitable for what I have planned. I replaced both the shelf with a simple, white IKEA shelf, which wasn't used by my family anymore and the desk with another beautiful IKEA desk. The result was very satisfactorily.

Another change were the walls. I had one wall painted in yellow before which I didn't like anymore. I decided to paint both walls in a light grey.

So before I bore you with all my changes I want to skip right to the result ;-)

The result

So at that point I will show you the results of many hours remodeling and replacing. I didn't cover all of the changes in my description because it would simply be too much but if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I am also very happy about any advices as I am still learning.

Oh and sorry about my English. It's not my first language.

Comments (48)

• User
    9 years ago

Excellent! You were smart to pick smaller-scale pieces that you can take with you and use anywhere when you move on and up! Eventually, you might consider using a different color than the red for your bedding, and you could use a cord cover in white (easy to make) for the red cord. It is a pop of color, but not quite in keeping with the beach theme.

Yannick Epp thanked User
  • Yannick Epp
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Thank you so much for the feedbacks! Yes the red doesn't match the beach theme indeed, especially not the linen for the bed. I already bought the lamp before I decided to buy those beach themed articles but I will definitely come up with something as I totally agree with you!
  • adi2883
    9 years ago

so amazing! you have definite skill!

Yannick Epp thanked adi2883
  • Aurel
    9 years ago
    this is awesome bro! Love how you changed it!
    Yannick Epp thanked Aurel
  • Emily H
    9 years ago

Wow!! This is great!

Yannick Epp thanked Emily H
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    9 years ago

Yannik, your taste is terrific and your interior design skills is unquestionable. And you've utilized your room space real well. One thing I would add to anchor everything together though - a flat weave multi-colored Kilim rug with browns, greys and olive colors on it such as this one:

You'll see the size and the make of the rug closely, right here.

Hope that added to your learning. =) Oh, let me just say this again, SPLENDID job, Yannick!

Yannick Epp thanked RugKnots | Area Rugs
  • joliefleurs
    9 years ago

Wonderful! It's simple, but so stylish. You have a very good eye. You did a great job! (Your English is also great!)

Yannick Epp thanked joliefleurs
  • PRO
    Ready, Set, Sold!
    9 years ago

You did a great job. Kudos to you!

Yannick Epp thanked Ready, Set, Sold!
  • Virginia
    9 years ago

Yannick, you did a great job of making your room more functional and bright. My only comment is that it does not seem to say very much about who you are. other than that you like the beach (very far from Switzerland!), and seems very "generic" and impersonal. It's neither masculine nor feminine. Where are your books? My suggestion would be to add back some items that reflect the life you are living now. (Your English is very good!)

Yannick Epp thanked Virginia
  • Harriet Carter Knight
    9 years ago
    do you have any canopy bedrooms you can show
    Yannick Epp thanked Harriet Carter Knight
  • diyer59
    9 years ago

Very nice job!

Yannick Epp thanked diyer59
  • qam999
    9 years ago

You created a calm and streamlined atmosphere. Thanks so much for the before and after pics!

Yannick Epp thanked qam999
  • capeanner
    9 years ago

Great job! Some books on the white dresser (?) would connect the somewhat small art work to the furniture. Or maybe a plant to add some life.

Yannick Epp thanked capeanner
  • rauraum
    9 years ago

Great job! And you do not need to apologize for your English. You write extremely well.

Yannick Epp thanked rauraum
  • jodyanns
    9 years ago

First of all, your English is very good. Next love the redo, it is very impressive. The only thing I would change is the height of the long rectangle picture over the dresser. It needs to be lowered. To much empty wall space showing. Great job.

Yannick Epp thanked jodyanns
  • elean13
    9 years ago
    Yannick, this is one great transformation. Well done! It is amazing what a big change you can make with a few modern Ikea pieces. Just 3 things I would change: 1. As already mentioned, the picture over the dresser is a bit small - how about using two of those, the one over the other. 2. I would keep the pendant with the red cord but keep it hanging straight 3. I would add a pinboard over the desk for pinning interesting articles / photos (not overdo it though). All in all, you must be proud of your place.
    Yannick Epp thanked elean13
  • Irene Morresey
    9 years ago
    You have done really well, good job, so rewarding when you accomplish things
    Yannick Epp thanked Irene Morresey
  • daybydaybyday
    9 years ago

Your English is great! We use the words "information" and "furniture" as both singular and plural forms, so we never put an "s" at the end of those words. Otherwise, your writing is fantastic!

Your current arrangement does open up your space the most, so I think you've done a fine job. Be careful with an area rug though -- it could make the space appear smaller (plus they are difficult to keep clean).

The only thing I would change would be your curtains. Try to get a pair of long panels in a color with some type of print on them. You always want your window draperies to go all the way to the floor, no matter how short the window is.

Since you're a student and a male, I would go with a navy curtain with either stripes or a geometrical pattern, similar to these:

Yannick Epp thanked daybydaybyday
  • Yannick Epp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow thanks so much for the feedback! It really gives me reassurance and some confidence in what I did.

@vapapan I will try to place some books to the white dresser and see how that works out. I guess by the time I will have some stuff stored there as well.

@capeanner great idea with the plant. What type of plant would you suggest? It might really suit between the bed and the white dresser (which is used for my camera equipment and some material for school btw ;-) )

@ elean13 Actually I really thought about hanging a magnetic pin board over the desk! I definitely keep that in mind and share the results!

@daybydaybyday it might work but I am not too sure whether I'd like a curtain with some structures and colors on it. I am more the minimalistic type of guy. Actually I was thinking about getting some indoor shutters. I had those in my bedroom when I was in Australia and I absolutely loved the light it created in the room. I think it would also add to my beach themed bedroom. But they are quite expensive I think..

Beach Style Bedroom · More Info

• capeanner
    9 years ago

Yannick, shutters would be great! Faux wood might be affordable. I have faux wood blinds that are a light wood tone in my kitchen in Florida. West facing windows so they help to create shade and keep it cool. Those probably cost less than shutters. Or you could do roll-up oriental style shades in fabric or paper. Those are inexpensive and come in colors. Then there are roman shades that have a neat look. If you're like me you will now spend too much time on the internet researching all these suggestions!
    Re plants, if you're not experienced with plants go with a philodendron. They don't require much light and are easy care...just don't overwater. All sizes are available from large potted floor plants to small to put on a surface. If the light is good you could try a flowering hibiscus for a definite beach look. I used to grow them in front of windows when I lived in an apartment in the city to remind me of my time in Hawaii. You must have similar Australian memories.

• Ruth Tekell
    9 years ago

Brilliant! Great job! Think about topping it off with some wood blinds a shade lighter than the floor. Faux wood and an outside mount makes it more affordable and portable. The horizontal lines will give the room the illusion of width.

Yannick Epp thanked Ruth Tekell
  • User
    9 years ago

great job, but it needs more color either in the bedding or curtains, and more art on that large expanse of wall maybe.

Yannick Epp thanked User
  • colournut
    9 years ago
    Well done Miss, well done!
    Yannick Epp thanked colournut
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    9 years ago

As others have pointed out your window coverings are not very elegant....or give much coverage. A very inexpensive alternative is to use a flat sheet (aka top sheet) instead, you could use a plain one or a patterned one.... You can slip the curtain rod through the top of the sheet or use clips and hang it (partially folded) from the bottom. Should you desire to shorten the curtain, you can use iron on tape vs sewing. Depending on how full you want the curtains, you could use a full size, queen size or king size sheet...many stores carry individual sheets in their clearance sections, which would save you even more money.

Yannick Epp thanked Stamps Design Services
  • Marilyn Cameron
    9 years ago

Genius!

Yannick Epp thanked Marilyn Cameron
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago

Congratulations you have done it ! and it looks beautiful ,enjoy :)

Yannick Epp thanked Geneviève
  • PRO
    Toronto Designers
    9 years ago

What a fun space - well done!

Yannick Epp thanked Toronto Designers
  • Kellie Alexander
    9 years ago

Looks great! Thanks for sharing and your English is excellent! :D

Yannick Epp thanked Kellie Alexander
  • daybydaybyday
    9 years ago

Hi again, Yannick. I can't blame you for wanting to go with indoor shutters. In the home I moved into 14 months ago, I do not have even one window panel here (but my walls are all a color, none white or off-white). I framed out all the windows in heavy wood trim topped with crown molding, painted it all white throughout the entire house, and hung 2 inch wide faux wood blinds in every window. I'm also a minimalist. :-) The wide blinds aren't too expensive, and they do come in wood stain colors, so that would be ideal on your window, and a nice, comparable alternative to expensive wood shutters. With the pale walls, the window space just looked like it needed color (IMO). Maybe a bedspread/comforter/coverlet with a print on it?

Yannick Epp thanked daybydaybyday
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    9 years ago

Well done !

Yannick Epp thanked Studio NOO Design
  • ragsangle
    9 years ago

Wow what a great job you did. When finances allow I would add a scatter rug-curtains and a bedspread. Perhaps in the same colors as in the paintings above the bed. Or a nice natural scatter rug perhaps a sisal as it would look like sand. You could even make the colors lighter than the picture and still have a beach theme. A basket with grass would add a little life into the room. Yes you can do fake grass it looks real. You can also use sheets and or shower curtains for curtains. And even add a couple of pillows to tie it all together. Nothing too bright to distract you but something you feel cozy with. Again great job!

Yannick Epp thanked ragsangle
  • capeanner
    9 years ago

This is what Yannic had to say earlier: "I am not too sure whether I'd like a curtain with some structures and
    colors on it. I am more the minimalistic type of guy. Actually I was
    thinking about getting some indoor shutters."
    I think he's into clean rather than cozy.

• PRO
    KM&M Designs
    9 years ago

Yannick, I like what you have chosen so far for this small multi function room. I read that you are considering wood shutters or blinds for that off size window. May I suggest 2 alternatives to disguise the window's size? 1. run a drapery completely across that wall and open from the left. It could be just below sill length or full length if your budget permits. 2. purchase an IKEA hutch to sit on the double door chest, set it in the space to the right of the window for balance. If you chose to do the latter, I would buy wood blinds to match the window trim, they are much less expensive than shutters and if you get the routless type they look just like shutters. Position your desk below the window. Having the hutch will give you vertical storage for books, music, souvenirs etc. and improve the look of the room by bringing your eyes up. Right now everything is at the same horizontal level. If you can, float your bed in the center of the room with the night table to the right it will break up the long axis which seems to be a problem. Use the entry door wall for the chest with TV. A carpet runner the length of the bed will give you something to put your feet on instead of the cold floor.

Yannick Epp thanked KM&M Designs
  • Muriel Geny-Triffaut
    9 years ago

Yannick, you did a great job and by the way the red looks just great with the rest. I am European and love the quirky little jolt that red sheet gives to the rest of the room. Congrats, you do have a LOT of talent!

Yannick Epp thanked Muriel Geny-Triffaut
  • Yannick Epp thanked alilu
  • steeledj
    9 years ago
    Very impressive. You did a lot with very little money. Looks great!
    Yannick Epp thanked steeledj
  • Yannick Epp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all your well explained thoughts and ideas!

@capeanner great ideas of less expensive alternatives! Yes I was also thinking about roll up curtains as they are less expensive. I think I would even pick a (dark) brown for either faux wood blinds or curtains which would give it a pop and be a contrast to the white furniture and ceiling. I do have many memories of decorations and settings which remind me of my stay in Australia indeed! Besides the shutters they also had those comfortable carpets in the bedrooms which were very nice to have in summer when walking bare-foot and to cancel noise even though they were harder to clean and are not that hygienic..

@dybydaybyday wow sounds like a lot of work that paid off! I definitely also have a look into faux wood blinds. I am sorry if I wasn't precise enough with my explanation of the types of curtains I like. I do like those with a light color such as light brown. I just don't like the strong colors as you showed me like blue when it comes to the color of the curtains. Maybe another thing to mention is that we have outdoor venetian blinds which however are just used completely darken the room and protect from the heavy weather here in Switzerland, so I am not considering window coverings, just some transparent curtains or as I said faux wood blinds for the look and the special light they create.

@ragsangle & capeanner A little green could actually work. As i already mentioned I am really considering to add some sort of plant be it philodendron or some sort of basket with grass in it. And yes I am more into a simple and minimalistic style but that's also because my room isn't that big, which makes it hard to achieve a more cozy atmosphere without making the room look too small and narrow in my opinion. Also here in Switzerland they mostly build plain wall plasters which already give much simplicity to a room and we mostly have straight edges between the walls and the ceiling and no molding. So with those given factors it is not very simple to make it that cozy. I painted the wall light grey which should make the room appear a little bit warmer and more comfortable. But I think a brown wooden faux blind could add a little bit more warmth and I personally like dark wood in general.

@KM&M Designs mmh good thought but actually this configuration is already the maximum of what the size of my room allows me to fit in. Putting my bed in the centre would leave a massive gap between both sides of the bed which couldn't be used for anything practical and that I already own (I can't afford any big furnitures at the moment). But I like the idea of placing the bed in the centre, no doubt! I will definitely do it this way as soon as I get a place of my own.

@Muriel Geny-Triffaut thank you so much! Where about do you live in Europe if I may ask?

• capeanner
    9 years ago

Yannic, if you want a woven rug test it out. Sisal can be downright painful on bare feet. In the islands a sea grass style was very popular, smelled great and was soft underfoot. You are right about not being able to keep any of them very clean however. Maybe you can find an indoor/outdoor style that is reasonably priced. Some have designs like palms or hibiscus on them, but they may be difficult to find in Switzerland! Good luck. You're doing a great job. I understand the limitations of a small budget (and I am far from being a student!).

9 years ago
    Wow, you did a great job.
  • PRO
    Ready, Set, Sold!
    9 years ago

Nice clean lines!

• nitrolove81
    8 years ago

Great job. Love it!! U don't have to expend on another lamp, only paint the red cord in blue or white. :-)

• PRO
    Nicola Interiors
    8 years ago

Great job!

• Jb Jaca
    7 years ago
    decluttering is the best good job
  • PRO
    ERT Architects, Inc
    7 years ago

Very lovely update!

• PRO