Software
Houzz Logo Print
anna_strik

Wrong grout

11 years ago
Hi,
Please help!!! If incorrect grout has been put on backsplash (Porcelanosa Ona White tile) can it be corrected somehow! I am in panic. I hope so much that there is something to be done with this awful mistake. This grout is more beige color than it should be (it should be absolute white). I will be very thankful for any advice.

Comments (23)

  • 11 years ago

    grout can be removed.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    couple of questions - what type of tile was installed on the backsplash? I'm assuming this is a recent installation? Do you have a pic available?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    There are a few different tools that you can remove the grout with. Just be aware that there will always be a chance for chipping a tile or scratching a tile if the tool jumps out of the grout lines. It will create some dust and be pretty noisy.

  • 11 years ago
    here is the tile that was just installed with wrong grout: http://www.porcelanosa-usa.com/home/products/tile/wall.aspx/d=37416/title=Ona_White
  • 11 years ago
    as I know, this kind of ceramic tile is quite soft
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    If you asked for white, you should have gotten white. If specified white grout, what does your installer intend to do about it?


  • 11 years ago

    Nice tile. I can see why you would want the whitest grout.

    Did your contract with the tile setter include the grout type? If so, he should redo this with the absolute white grout.

  • 11 years ago
    Unfortunately it was my fault:( It was the grout that we gave to our contractor. I have not controlled what grout my husband bought:) and I saw it when the job was already done.
  • 11 years ago
    It was a real tragedy for me when I saw it:). So grout stain is the best way to correct it? (it is like paint for grout , as I understand). Won't it go out with time (especially taking into account that it is backsplash)?
  • 11 years ago

    Just curious, how does one stain a lighter color? Do not use grout paint, that stuff is junk. Have it redone. Your tile is too nice to mess with fix its.

  • 11 years ago
    Tilex Mold&Mildew remover , spray on and leave it, spray again and leave it. This stuff bleaches all grout to white, even black grout. Be sure to leave room and open all windows. You can also buy a Dremel and remove the grout and grout again with white.
  • 11 years ago
    Yes, the tile is very beautiful and expensive, so I do not want to experement. So many opposite opinions..
  • 11 years ago
    So no grout stain? Better mold&meldew remover?
  • 11 years ago
    or remove the grout absolutely with Dremel?
  • 11 years ago

    Removing the grout with a Dremel is really a tedious job. I've done it before. You can try it but as has been mentioned, you risk chipping the tiles.

    The other "fixes" mentioned might work but really just masks the problem. You can try the TM&M remover. I wish it worked as easy as Chris says. Maybe it will for you but prepare for plan B.

    The tile is fantastic. You might just have to have the whole thing redone if you cant get the grout out with the Dremel.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I would not risk using a dremel tool on a backsplash such as yours. It is just too risky to take something that you are not crazy about and risk completely ruining it and having to rip it out and start over. Take small steps to fix the issue rather than a sledge hammer approach and see if you can live with them. You can always get more aggressive if the small stuff doesn't get you to where you can live with it. The stain will cost you around $45.00 and some time. If you hate it, then go to plan B. Here is a photo of a shower where we had to stain the grout because the same grout, mixed on the same day by the same person changed color in the shower. I do not believe anyone who saw this in person would ever know the grout stain was used.

    Various Bathroom Features · More Info

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    DO NOT use the Tilex!!!!! It will compromise the integrity of the grout and in time the grout will fail and begin to fall out!!!! If the grout is newly installed and hasn't completely cured, the best solution would be to hire a professional to remove the grout and regrout with the absolute white - the only other alternative would be to try the grout stain - and then apply a commercially graded sealant as an additional measure to protect the color of the grout. The grout stain is going to be a tough fix, because you are going to a lighter color.

  • 11 years ago
    The grout stain is a great idea. I've used it on two bathroom floors, and if walking on it every day and washing regularly doesn't hurt it, it will be fine on your backsplash. You have to use a type of acid wash on the old grout first, then dry and just apply the stain with a skinny brush. It's super easy and actually I thought it was fun. And by the way, I got mine at Home Depot for around $8. Can't remember the name of the product but go on YouTube and search how to stain grout. The video is great and it will give you the name of the product.

    Not to worry, just take your time and it will turn out great!
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    We lightened the grout with the grout stain - probably more difference in color than this backsplash issue. You can't go from a dark color to a white, but you can change several shades with no problem. Grout stain is also a sealer. Cbailie does make a good point, we did have to use an acid wash on the old grout first. We were told that we only needed to do that because we had already applied a grout sealer product and needed to get it off before staining or the stain would not work. You do need to have several really small brushes before you start because it wears out the brushes quickly - these would be like small artist brushes. Wipe any stain off the tile as you go, don't let it sit on the tile for any period of time.

    Good luck.

  • 11 years ago
    thanks so much to all of you!
  • 9 years ago
    Hello,

    We have the same problem - wrong beige grout on white porcelenosa porcelain tile. I am curious to see how you solved the issue? Regrout or retile or did the grout stain work? Thanks!!
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Anna, you're not that far away from the backsplash of your dreams.

    Eh, homeowners make missteps (I have!), but this one can be corrected without a lot of drama or $. I suggest:

    1. Do NOTHING, on your own. You risk damaging the existing grout, or worse, the tile.

    2. Talk with your contractor, now- just as you have with us. "Whoops", with a smile in your voice and a willingness to correct your own mistake, will go a long, long way.

    3. Ask your contractor to send you to a tile store that has a "grout color" kit. Take a piece of your tile, and let them do the brain damage. They're really, really good at this.

    All can be just fine. Cool tile!