Software
Houzz Logo Print
bl082223

Need help picking exterior Paint color for Front Door on Beach house

11 years ago

What color should I paint my front door and what color handrail should I choose? We plan to instal White Railings to match the trim. I am considering a walnut colored handrail which is what I have in the back of the house (see 2nd picture) but I am not sure if I should do the same in the front or keep it all white? I also need to pick a paint OR stain color for the front door. Any suggestions? This is new construction beach house. I have no idea what color I should choose for front door. (this door can be stained OR painted)



Comments (26)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    First of all, I love the blue of this house! How stunning!
    I would go with the walnut handrail in the front as well. I think for the front door you could go for a nice dark grey, to pull in some contrast with the lightness of the rest of the exterior.


  • 11 years ago

    Either type of railing would look fine, but I think the all-white would give a stronger beachy feeling. As for the front door, I'd paint, in another beachy color -- say, a faded light green, maybe a rusty tone.


  • 11 years ago
    Dark blue!
  • 11 years ago

    peacock blue!

  • 11 years ago

    HI --"Mermaid " by Benjamin Moore

  • 11 years ago

    or a sand tone.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks Kevin I picked a dark night sherwin williams color similar to your 3rd pic which is dark grey w dark blue undertone. Excited to try tomorrow. Your pics were really helpful as we're all the comments. Also thanks Lindsay I am going to go w walnut handrail as well. will post update when complete. Thanks all comments on color very helpful

  • 11 years ago
    Orange!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I like the idea of a dark gray, or a crisp yellow for the front door. If you go with a dark door color, then I would opt for the walnut handrails. If you go with a light color for the door, I think that white would be nice on the rail. Best of luck!
    Lisa thanked Slick Designs
  • 11 years ago

    I would suggest a white door, but paint the recessed panels a blue that is the same as the siding blue OR one shade darker/brighter. A matching blue on the treads of the steps also would look nice, along with a white handrail on each side.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks I got a couple of samples and I am leaning toward the dark grey family on the front door with white spindles and a walnut handrail. I attached a sample pic. On the right it shows my blue siding with stone front. On the left is a sample paint color of grey and sample of the walnut handrail. Another consideration is “grey stain”. I am in process staining my oak staircase inside my home and I really love how weathered STAIN wood sample looks in the 2nd picture and thought maybe a stained grey door might be cool instead of painting it dark grey. My door is Stainable Fiberglass and or paintable. However, I can’t seem to find a “gel Stain” in this color family. All of the gel stains made for exterior are in brown family. Has anyone every used a Grey “stain” on an exterior fiberglass door? If so what brand AND OR Please give me thoughts or comments about the dark grey paint sample with walnut handrail?



  • PRO
    11 years ago

    If you use the walnut handrails I would paint the door to match the handrails and give it a nice shiny finish. Good luck :)


    Lisa thanked Color Zen
  • 11 years ago

    I too love the stain but realize it relies upon the wood tone as a base for the blue grays . . you might as well test it and see how it turns out. You can always paint over it.

    Lisa thanked libradesigneye
  • 11 years ago

    Could you share the color blue of the exterior? Love it!

  • 11 years ago

    sorry for the delay in responding...the color is called bermuda blue...Certain Teed Siding...It really looks great and was a new color for spring so not many people had it in our area....

  • 11 years ago
    Beachy yet classy. Great choice! Thanks. I just bought a beach house in SC, so it helps to know what certain colors look like in reality rather than on a small sample. I stress out about these decisions for some reason.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    What brand is the exterior color Bermuda Blue is from? I tried finding it but the one I saw from Benjamin-Moore is a dark blue. Thanks

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Bermuda Blue ollaif . . . Definitely not Benjamin Moore . . . looks like this one: Martin Senour Paints 158-3 Bermuda Blue.

  • 10 years ago
    The color of the door should be a light baby pink it hoes well with the baby blue
  • 10 years ago
    Old post.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    what color is the house ? looks nice
  • 9 years ago

    Hi The house is siding not paint. The siding color is called Bermuda blue.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for the siding color-- can I confirm that this is cedar impressions siding by Certainteed in bermuda blue? We are looking at it for our beach cottage as well! Your house is gorgeous - and I was so grateful to see this siding in nice clear photos :)

  • 5 years ago

    Yes correct and I was happy with it!! Good choice

  • 4 years ago

    We went with it as well. And we did a coral color door. Still under construction but here’s a pic