Software
Houzz Logo Print
lindarabin

bathroom dilemma!!

11 years ago

I cannot decide between different tub enclosures. No small kids in house but in gutting a second bathroom we have no other tubs in house so feel its better for resale. But glass enclosures don't work for kids anyways...hate the look of shower curtains...

Comments (12)

  • 11 years ago
    Somewhere on houzz recently saw a number of responses to this question. Almost no one liked experience of tub with glass, especially not with kids. Glass looks lovely in photos but reality favors curtains overwhelmingly.
    lindarabin thanked adorfman
  • 11 years ago

    yes, when there is a shower with a tub most favored having a curtain instead of any kind of glass, but if people are only showering glass is great. its all a matter of whether you are going to take a bath or not.

    lindarabin thanked Judy Mishkin
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Have you considered a tub shield? They will normally swing in and out


    lindarabin thanked Design on Tap Charleston
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for responses. I agree-still not sure. Have seen A LOT of debate on this subject! Glass is definitely more updated look I was going for but it comes with the issues of cleaning and practicality of use as well as when resale and grandkids possibly come into the picture. Curtains are hygenically just wrong! No one wants to touch them on their body but do allow the most usable space. Old fashioned in my opinion and not as nice for shower usage. My grown college kids and those that will visit us will most likely want to strictly shower so the use for the tub is almost nonexistent except for the resale and grandkids in the future idea which we may not even stay in this house more than 6 years or so at best-not sure. Which kind of glass panel works best for accessibility when the vanity will almost go the whole way up to tub? I don't get the tub shield? Doesn't water get everywhere and person get cold in shower? Like the idea of swinging both ways though...

  • 11 years ago

    Also, are there pretty sliders out there that will not have a gross track but be more functional maybe?

  • 11 years ago

    i dont get the tub shield, either. my whole tub area is wet when i've showered so no idea how this could work.


    lindarabin thanked Judy Mishkin
  • 11 years ago

    While planning our new bath which was going to have an alcove tub/shower I went to Europe and all the hotels we stayed in had various versions of glass doors/shields. I didn't enjoy using a single one of them. The short one, like in the picture someone attached, didn't work at all, I discovered that much of the the water escapes in the middle third of the tub, since the shower head points in that direction, so the floor was drenched every time someone used the shower. The ones with full doors felt very narrow and claustrophobic - remember a tub is much narrower than a stand-alone shower.

    In the end we went with a shower curtain and I couldn't be happier, even though our tub is extra-narrow (30" instead of 32"), I never notice of coming in contact with the curtain while I shower, though I am sure I do. And besides, I'd rather bump soft fabric that gives way when I come in contact with it than bang my elbow on a glass door.

    We purchased a nice looking mold-resistant fabric shower-liner that feels almost like cotton but is synthetic so water drips off quickly and is easy to wash. The liner is white and when not in use takes up little visual space at the edge of the alcove and blends in with the white subway tiles. For a while I also had a decorative curtain that hung on the outside of the tub, but took it down since I like to keep the shower curtain open when not in use, so no one was ever looking at it except when someone was taking a shower.

    Shower liner was about $10, a nice glass enclosure would have been closer to $1,000. Curtains are easy to wash and replace if it does show any sign of mold. The glass panels look classy in photos, but I actually use my tub/shower so wanted something I'd enjoy showering with. For practical purposes a curtain is defiantly the way to go.

    Safetywise - remember to put in grab bars. One of the most common bathroom injuries is when someone slips and grabs the curtain, which then gives way, and they crash to the ground. You need to have something solid and easy to grab in any tub/shower no matter what age the users are.

    lindarabin thanked adorfman
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for some of the comments. Just can't go with a curtain though no matter the price or cleaning aspect. I don't really get the claustrophobic feel either so not a problem for me. Really like the rolling bar doors that I'm seeing now that provide a little more access and space when opening as well as the look I'm going for.

  • 11 years ago

    We have a beautiful curtain, not a shower curtain. When the shower is needed we hang a clear plastic curtain. We can shove it to the side so it is behind the curtain and remove it when shower is not in use. It works for us. I considered putting in glass and using the clear curtain to protect the glass but decided the expense wasn't worth it. Those curtains are about $5 at Ross or TJ Maxx so can have a nice one at the ready if I don't want to store anfd rehang a used one

    lindarabin thanked sheriss
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for the response but don't think removing a curtain when not in use is for me. I understand the curtain and clear liner concept but just don't think curtains are as clean a line or as updated a look as I would like maybe too? I'm glad it works for you, just not my preference!

  • 11 years ago
    Put in the glass. Chances are, anyone buying your house will change out the glass anyway. Worry about resale when/if you sell. A well maintained house, priced right, will sell, even with glass enclosure on the tub.
    lindarabin thanked User