Software
Houzz Logo Print
betsy46

Need help for my staircase!

13 years ago
Hi Everyone! I'm redoing the whole staircase/bannister, which is right past the front door, and am trying to decide between plain white posts with dark(er) wood handrail and iron balusters (spindles) versus a stained wood post versus new carpet on stairs. Most of the white posts that I see have white spindles and I was looking for more of a change.

Also, I'm replacing the carpet in the upstairs-- does anyone have an opinion on whether friezes (sp?) look matted after a while?

Appreciate any ideas/comments!
Thanks!

Comments (34)

  • 13 years ago
    We painted ours black but left spindles and base white.
  • 13 years ago
    I thought about that, Rebecca but it's so old and painted a gazillion times, I was thinking of starting fresh. Thnx:)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    careful, the trim in the house is all white it seems.....starting to change may lead to a huge project....I see the railing is upstairs as well.
    This is what I would do:find the carpeting you like a hard twist style should serve well. as the stairs are exposed....coming down the staircase, use wood treads and paint the riser white....I think the white is nice unless you want to paint all the trim. The wood should match the wood floor shown in on of the images you offered. Darken the handrail if you like .....very traditinoal that way. Adding iron is goind to cost considerably and may be too too too.....unlike the rest of the house....I would want the upper and lower railing to all match ..
  • 13 years ago
    Gary, thanks for your comments, I love your work.
    I'm having the walls in the foyer and upstairs painted (as well as my dining room and re-doing my home office, which is opposite the stairs. It includes the trim (which I was thinking of keeping white). Do you mean no carpet on stairs? That's what I was leaning toward, along with either matching the floor or going a little darker in the same color family. Do you like iron with a white box post or should I keep the box newel the wood stain color? Oh, and I am also replacing the upper bannisters/spindles.
    Thanks again:)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    i would like to see wood on the lower landing followed by 6 wood stair treads. ALL to MATCH the wood you have, no need to change.....do go decorating by changing wood tones on me!!!!!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    right no carpet on the lower run of stairs....warning stocking feet hold on to the railing....I like the railing and would suggest spending the line item somewhere else
  • 13 years ago
    And carpet on the upper steps? What about my other questions to you? :)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    yep
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    be nice
  • 13 years ago
    Hmmm I'll have to get a price quote on that. I got a pretty good one for the whole staircase. What about the posts? The railing is verrrrry old, needs to go. And I kinda have my heart set on iron, it's just a couple hundred dollars for the iron balusters.
  • 13 years ago
    I have iron with dark wood and it was not expensive...although I replaced the spindles myself...for you, my concern would be the large amount of white stair & trim you have...I think the most difficult part of the redo (and expensive) was the posts...I hate colonial posts....ended up having to get box posts made. I definetely would get posts to match rail.
  • 13 years ago
    True, there's a lot of white, which is why i was thinking iron! I hate the colonial posts, too. Good ideas, thanks, Susan!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    the iron relates to "nothing" I see in the pictures....the effort and attention to the balusters is not going to make or break the space....I've seen far older railing and balusters, yours have another hundred years or so.....I like classic interiors be they traditional or contemporary. I'm not one to add something to a space unless it will benefit and enhance the space......there is not enough railing on the lower level to contend with and the upper will be out of play except I'm guessing there are bedroom upstairs... the iron wil need to meet the new 4" code
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    question ladies ......what is the style of the doors and cabinets in this space
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I did just replace wood and iron balusters in a house in Colorado, with iron.....but we were changing the style of the house from traditional to contemporary....I'm offering my design suggestions. I would hate to see a space be all about the "new railing"
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If your looking for a change have fun. Its a wow when you hire an artisan to design and make your railing!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    that railing will not pass the building codes in the USA unless there is glass added to one side or the other. the spaces in the design are too large to be used above the third step.....sorry to say
  • 13 years ago
    It's pretty but I don't love the artisan look for my house.
    Gary, I dont know what the cabinets are--the house is circa 1985. I'll go take a photo of the front door for you and the office space (which is hideous, fyi)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    they are likely raised panels with an arched top
  • 13 years ago
    Here's the front door and one of the office. For the office, my plan is to get rid of the cabinets (and re-use some in the garage, repaint (I hate yellow), relocate the scrapbook stuff to another room and dedicate it to an office (I work at home a couple days/week). I'm thinking credenza where the couch is, with a nice desk facing the windows (to the right in the pic) (there's a desk with iron legs from restoration hardware I like, which could bring in the iron:)) Maybe bookcases, not sure since trying to declutter. Maybe a chair or two in front of the windows. Ideas?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    what you have is classic 18th century english style trim
  • 13 years ago
    Yikes :(
    It's horrid:(
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    no its English
  • 13 years ago
    you're right, I'd hate to hurt the trim's feelings.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    i suggest if you start ripping .......keep going....
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    send me the design you are considering for the railing
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    yes Gary I know...just getting out of the box..
  • 13 years ago
    Something along these lines....
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    nice
  • 13 years ago
    This looks like what I did, except my posts are wood...and my stairs are carpeted unfortunately...have to laugh my front door is very similar and I have French doors to living room like you...just the change from the crappy colonial posts makes a huge difference ...love it
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Betsy, your desk is also English in origin................just saying
  • 13 years ago
    Gary, soon it'll be firewood:)
  • 13 years ago
    I like the photo on the left with some straight iron spindles mixed with decorative. It will look beautiful!