Software
Houzz Logo Print
rcan

Exterior paint color

11 years ago
We are about to have our home painted and cannot decide on paint colors. A few things make it difficult to pick colors. Our roof is brown and the bottom half of the house is red brick (which my husband does not want to have painted). We are adding shutters to the windows. We would love some advice on a color palette. We are open to all colors but are leaning towards leaving the body of the house white and painting the door and shutters colors.

Comments (17)

  • 11 years ago

    What a cute house! On my monitor though, the roof and siding look green. I agree with your husband about not painting the brick. I would do shutters on the single windows only and perhaps only the one on the left.. Shutters on the ganged windows will look odd.


  • 11 years ago
    Had to read this twice! Someone suggesting painting their house white! I think that's great. It's a charming little home and will look well with white and brick. Your shutters are a matter of opinion then.
  • 11 years ago
    The shrubs to the right of the entrance are just leaning towards being too large and overgrown looking. If you can cut them back that would be great. So they're not over the Brickline. If not you may want to consider re-planting and mulching.
  • 11 years ago
    You can also consider expanding the garden to the left of the entrance so that it is wavy a bit instead of a straight line. To add interest.
  • 11 years ago
    If you want to bump up the cottage feel you could replace the iron railings with white wood rails and spindles.
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you for the advice. I agree that shutters should only be on the single windows. Also, yes we definitely need to trim the bushes down! They are a bit overgrown. I was hoping that I could get some color options thrown out there. The door is a big thick wooden arched top door. I'd really like it to be seen. It gets lost being the same color as the house. Any opinions?
  • 11 years ago

    I would put up shutters a couple of shades darker than my roof and only on the window left of the door. The window to the far left may not have enough room on the right for a shutter, you could put a larger shutter on the left side only. Have you considered stripping the front door and staining it or leaving the natural wood?

  • 11 years ago

    Yes I have considered attempting getting the door back to natural wood. It would be beautiful but many people have advised me not to because the sun will basically destroy the wood (even if sealed). We live in south Louisiana! We are still considering it though. What if we painted the door and put up natural wood shutters? Would that look good? Or would it be too much going on?


  • 11 years ago

    I think it would. look into using marine varnish or the varnish used on boats.

    Rachel M thanked Vicki Denson
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I would not use natural wood on this house, because it has a bit of tudor cottage style to it, and the natural wood is not quite refined enough. You also want deep color on the shutters to give contrast back to the house - natural wood is too light here.

    The cottage charm you are aiming for would benefit from a board and batten shutter for the two outermost windows - with shutter frogs so when the hurricanes come you can actually shut them. You might go so far as to get cutouts in them - that would be darling.

    Let's talk colors for southern LA - let's get some tudor colors going - the siding would be most charming in a warmer camoflauge neutral - a pale warm gray like bm silver fox http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/silverfox

    This will lessen the contrast between brick and siding and make the house look taller Trim (fascia, especially the arch over the entry, around the doors and windows) wants to be darker for contrast - bm gargoyle http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/gargoyle

    Shutters in gargoyle too . . not darker

    For the front door - bm raintree green http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/raintreegree

    Test these out - maybe groveraxle will happen along again and photoshop them in for you

    Here's a house with board and battens that have cutouts . . your cut outs want to be meaningful to you and your location, personal - but classic.

    Peace of the Rock - Shingle Style Beach House on Cape Cod, MA Custom Home · More Info

    Rachel M thanked libradesigneye
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you so much for the advice. Those colors are very pretty and work well together. I like your idea about the board and batten shutters. They add the charm we are aiming for!


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hi rcan,


    libradesigneye has the right idea about a dark gray color for your home. You could use synethic material for shutters instead of wood, like our Endurian maintenance free shutters if you're worried about too much sun. You can download ourdigital catalog if you'd like to take a look at our cut outs, styles and more information on our shutters in general.

  • 11 years ago
    Try a shade close to the roof color. And then darker for shutters and darkest for front door.
  • 11 years ago

    I would recommend shutters that are the same color as the roof. Although shutters would not function actually on the triple windows, I would add shutters there for decorative purposes anyway. Furthermore, I would add a matching sconce light to the left side of the entranceway. If you can add a second matching window to the single window on the left, it will make the house look more balanced. One or two white-painted window boxes, placed on this left side and filled with colorful blooms, will add brightness.

  • 11 years ago

    Well, Timberlane got me - I went to look at their cutout catalog . . what I know about southern louisiana (having lived there for a short time as a child) makes me want to suggest a cut out of a duck, a swan or the heron - they have two duck profiles - flying or floating . . . the swan is darling so if that suits. . . (you do have migration near you (both Trumpeter and Tundra swans come to southern la ). . then name this your Swan Cottage and go for it . . if hubby is a hunter . . go for the duck . . it is masculine in that context and personal . . if neither of those resonate with you, and you know anything about audubon (and you will long term if you don't now) go for the heron because it is the most unique. If you select a duck, get a name for a particular favorite - let this be Pintail Cottage or Widgeon Cottage . . .

  • 11 years ago
    Libradesigneye that is such a cute idea. I am considering cutouts on the shutters now when I wasn't before. Thanks for your advice! I will have to post pics when it's completed
Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio