Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larsrstanley

Need decor ideas for our bedroom

Lars Stanley
9 years ago
Hello all! We moved in a few months and need some styling tips and ideas. This time it is for our master. The room has a balcony, walk-in closet, and full bath. The colors were there when we bought it. We picked out the furniture and sheets. I love the dark wood and the beige/red sheets. I'm not sure if the wall colors add too much of it tho. I was thinking of getting the dresser and bench for the end of the bed that goes with this bedroom set. I don't think it would feel cluttered, but I'm not sure. I am open to any ideas, furniture, art, paint, anything. thanks!

Comments (8)

• Kristi Traynor
    9 years ago

I suggest looking for a piece of wall art that both of you really like and use it to determine what style you want. Your bed is very traditional but did you pick it because you loved it? I would remove the vertical blinds from the doors (because I hate them and mini blinds--I think they are butt ugly.) You might love them however. Look through houzz photos for bedrooms that you love. Your space is a pretty blank slate at the moment.

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    9 years ago

I wouldn’t add a dresser and a bench to the room. Just because you might be able to fit them in the room, it doesn’t mean it will look good. Make sense? I’d stick with the bench (or a bench, I’d prefer you not get the one matched to your set) unless you need more storage. Is the reach-in closet the only one in your room?

You need some texture in the room and some prints. I would also get rid of the verticals and put up sheers and draperies at the sliders and the tall window. At the short windows (I’m assuming they are or where did builder expect you to put furniture?) behind your headboard I would just add sheers that extend beyond headboard to behind nightstands, to create a fabric wall more or less. Also drapery rods should go to just below ceiling to create illusion of height.

The lamps on the nightstands are too small and short. Get off white shades or black shades on new lamps. Hang large scale artwork over long dresser, and you can put a few decorative pieces on top of dresser but don’t clutter it. A large mirror should be hung on wall across from bathroom door, just make sure entry door doesn’t hit it. Smaller artwork/photos on wall next to bathroom entrance.

I’d love to see a pretty light fixture, but as much as I hate ceiling fans I know some people need them to sleep….

• Lars Stanley
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the comments! Now that you mention it, those lamps do look small!

I know the furniture doesn't go with the contemporary style of the house, but we absolutely love how big it feels, and the details in the wood. We went with an open back headboard so it wouldn't be completely blocking the window. I am assuming that is where they thought the bed would go, under the short window, I just really wish it was centered with the sliding doors. There is a small walk in closet and one regular closet.

I am not a huge fan of the blinds at all either, they just came with the house. I know the room is a blank slate right now, and it's better that I ask before I buy things because I don't have very good design taste and would probably end up buying things that don't for well.... lamps for example!

What do you think of the colors? What kind of artwork would fit well? I appreciate all the responses!
  • User
    9 years ago
    How about the headboard where the dresser is now?
  • Kristi Traynor
    9 years ago

If you can't place the bed on the dresser wall, then at least pull the bed out from the wall about 3 inches and hang ceiling to floor drapes. Your bed and dresser are beautiful and I don't think it matters that your house is contemporary. You can still do a lovely traditional, transitional, steampunk, or ethinic design in your contemporary house. If you can decide what style you love it's easier for us to help you. One thing I would change is the bed sheets. I wouldn't try matching to the red wall at all. I would go for contrast. White Sheets, blue duvet with a touch of red accents for example. You're never going to get the sheets to match the wall and even if they did it would be rather boring to look at. White sheets should allow your woodwork in the bed to stand out more.

• Suellensilver Silver
    9 years ago
    I would paint all the trim white
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago

I try to advise not to go with matching furniture pieces for anywhere in the house (well, at least not in the same room, I should say). I agree with white bedding. I love it. Buy some grommet top drapes from Ikea. Hang from just below the ceiling down to the floor. Will be so much easier to access the slider with the grommet top. Ikea has the best quality for the money & they price them by the pair instead of by the panel as most stores do. Buy them for all windows in the room the same. I love your bed & agree with pulling it away from the window a bit.

Don't paint the room until you choose your color scheme. You could go with the same color (beige or wheat) as the lighter walls in the room & build off of that. Go to Art.com, Great Big Canvas & Z Gallerie to look at art. This will definitely inform your color scheme you will be drawn to. Do not try to buy things all at once. Live with your purchases a while before going ahead with more. You will have a beautiful put-together soothing room when completed.