Software
Houzz Logo Print
mandi_marie2661603

Gap between backsplash & granite...

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

So I decided to upgrade my kitchen & add granite. Since I was working on a budget, I decided to keep my existing tile backsplash in the kitchen. Now that the granite has been installed, I have a pretty substantial gap where my backslash meets the granite. I'm really not sure what to do. Is there an option to add a moulding or trim between the area? I'm thinking grout or caulk won't look nice since the gab is large & fluctuates in size in different areas. Any help on this issue would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    You have several options here. I wouldn't use wood unless this is a dry area. The simplest is to have the place you purchased the stone from make a back splash for you. Do you by chance have any more of the wall tile left in the garage? Is it porcelain? If so, have a tile craftsman cut you a 2" strip and "bull nose" the ends. Another options is to visit one of the larger tiles stores in your area. They will have several ideas for you including tile trim pieces that may match your existing tile. They will also have decorative metal moldings (such as Schluter) at a tile store. http://www.schluter.com/2_2_designline.aspx They come in many different finishes and, if the gap is the same size all the way around, should be easy to install. You'll need to know the size of the gap. Take these pictures with you, and good luck!


    Mandi Marie thanked Zieba Builders, Inc.
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help & suggestions with this. Unfortunately I do not have any tile (or even know know the name of it or where it came from) as it was there before I moved in last year.

    I'll look into the metal moldings, I don't mind the look of that & I think it might even look decent in my kitchen. However, the gap is not the same size (not even close) all the way around. In some places the tile nearly meets the granite & in others the gap is much larger. Again, I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    My first choice would be to find a 5/8 x 5/8 on a 12 x 12 mosaic mesh that compliments either your tile or granite. This product (when cut into strips) may fit well in the gap shown above. Would need to purchase 1 gal of mastic, more than likely only 1 sheet of the mosaic and 1 bag of grout. Should be less than $60 for the bit depending upon the price of the mosaic.


    Mandi Marie thanked Cinar Interiors, Inc.
  • 11 years ago

    I'd invest in a new backsplash rather than trying to fix this one.

  • 8 years ago

    Why can’t granite companies cut granite that thin and make a quarter round piece to sit there and fill the gap?

  • 8 years ago
    This isn’t going to look right... even if you can find a bullnose or mosaic to fit within the gap, you’re still going to have gaps due to the varying widths. Remove the tile and put in a new splash. You’ll waste more time, money and effort trying to make this look right and still won’t be happy with it in the end.
  • 8 years ago
    I think your counter installer should have taken better measurements. I would insist on a 4" granite backsplash all the way around. Installer might be willing if you offer to pay the labor cost for installation. Get the manager of this company out to your house right away!
  • 8 years ago

    Don't waste $ trying to fix this, it will never look right. Replace the tile.

  • 8 years ago
    Charaj, this has to do with the thickness of the countertop purchased, not the measurements. The OP might not have specified that the counter needs to meet the backsplash in height. OP, did you request the counter meet the splash during templating?
  • 8 years ago

    people,,this is a 3 year old post.

  • 8 years ago
    Aw dang it!
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Pic with gap and new Quartzite/granite install.

    After! Looks great! Found a guy to cut tiles to fill the gap and matches perfect. He charged $200. What’s the point of ripping off the entire backsplash messing up drywall and creating all of that mess when you LIKE and want to KEEP your existing backsplash! That’s what I was able to do and no mess. (and no didn't want to raise/shim the counters, as kitchen was custom and matching wood on cabinets, etc would have been a whole other mess. Just fill the gap! :)

    Kitchen came out beautiful with this Taj Mahal. If anyone wants to see more pics of the stone, let me know. I'm a picky person and this wasn't done to save money. I didn't have time to deal with the mess and redo of a backsplash that's all around this kitchen. I've seen countless posts about this topic and everyone says no, you can't do it, or it's not going to look right, so there is some hope for those that want to keep the backsplash they have. This is the same backsplash since we built the house in 1990, yes, 1990. White never goes out of style, and if it was all ripped out and re-done, I still would have gotten the same white tiles, or maybe subway, but I'm glad I didn't.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    We used a pencil tile that matched our backsplash and used 100% silicone caulking that matched our grout color.