FIND PROFESSIONALS
edubya

POLL: Do you have a knife block?

Emily H

Some people hang their knives, some people put them in drawers. It seems like a LOT of people have knife blocks on their counter for easy storage and quick access while cooking. Do you?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments! (photos encouraged)

Westminster · More Info

Yes
No.
Other - Tell us below!

• shortlisa
    Yes, but I want it to be flush with counter top or in a drawer.
  • waylin9

You should never put your knives in a drawer. If they're really good ones, they should be stored in a block or on a magnetic strip. All the professional chefs say so.

POLL: Do you have fireflies where you are?

Here's another vote for Midcoast Maine! They are abundant a little later in early to mid-summer and they are a dream! We love to lay in our bed at night and stair out our bay window and watch them. We crack the window and the babbling of the brook adds the perfect background music.

POLL: Do you have an attic?

we have a massive attic that has a set of permanent stairs up from a closet in our bedroom. the house is 162 years old, the handrails are the same as on the first floor, so I think it was used for sleeping or servants or something like that. sadly, it is full (not completely, thank goodness) of anything we take up there. I would love to finish it off in some way, but my husband says we don't need more space, and I know he's right. this house is built along a federal style outside, but then the inside looks like the farmhouse it really is. it's all very strange! I'm very grateful for the attic, and envy those of you who have finished yours off in some way. but I really am glad for the storage space. it would easily hold 2 large bedrooms and a hefty size bath. but I think we'll leave that to the next folks!

Knife Block or Magnetic Knife Bar

The knife bar has an appeal because it looks so professional but I don't want those pointing things hanging on the wall. I know myself so well! Actually, you can make a knife block with a box and uncooked spaghetti. I would like ti because storage is upright so it takes up less room and you can easily clean/replace the "innards".

POLL: Do you have a laundry room?

I designed the floor plan of our house and put in 2 laundry rooms, one on the main floor where the master bedroom is and one in the finished basement where 4 of our 5 children had their bedrooms. I also included a sewing counter and built in ironing board in the main laundry room. When they were old enough to do their own laundry, the 4 with basement bedrooms did it in the basement while my oldest, whose bedroom was a bonus room over the garage, shared the main floor one with me. Occasionally one would come up with theirs, complaining that their sister had left her clothes in the washer. A laundry basket for each of them took care of that. They were required to keep their basket in the laundry room as long as their clothes were in the washer or dryer so someone else could empty what they needed to do theirs. The extra laundry room, and a mini kitchen, came in handy as 3 of the kids have lived in the basement for a time with spouses, 2 of them also with children. It was also handy to not have to do my kids' laundry after about the age of 12 or 13.
  • charon70
    There are drawer knife blocks that function the same as the counter top knife blocks.
  • rubyloves2shop

I have the ordinary knife block but I hide a couple "special" knives in a drawer for myself ;)

• dareinhardt1

Both! I cook every day. Ikea magnetic strip for "good knives", above one section of counter-top, and a block with old mismatched favorites that get lots of use; a chef's knife from Japan, a carving knife, and paring knife that has helped me make many pies over the years!

• lake1114

If using a block on the counter, you should place knives upside down in the slots. That way the blades will not slide across the wood when taking them in or out which dulls the blades.

• fayefit

My magnetic knife holder is installed on the side of the oven cabinet next to my workspace, so it's there but not an "item". It's one of the best purchases I ever made for this kitchen. I had one in a previous home and loved it. Thought about a knife box but I prefer an uncluttered counter top--although it's a daily struggle--and the strip is a great organizer. I have them placed blade-up and never considered having them blade-down.

• bethes
    During our remodel, we had room for a knife drawer. But I didn't want a block for particular knives because I didn't want to limit myself to only the size and shape of the knives I had or thought I might buy. One never knows. So I created a pull out drawer with a bottom that is the depth of long bamboo skewers and had sides to create a box. I filled this box with skewers. This replicates the idea of a skewer box that sits on your counter that you all have seen, but encloses it in a drawer. It has been a fantastic idea, that has limitless functionality and is pretty cool to boot.
  • cabingirl13

I have a knife block on counter and a few other assorted knives in a drawer. Thankfully I have a husband that is excellent at sharpening knives when needed. He keeps his special fish filet knives in their leather cases. I never heard about keeping your knives upside down in a wooden knife block because they will get dull?
    My FIL has a magnetic knife block that is mounted on the bottom of his kitchen cabinet (above the counter) so the knives lay horizontal with handles at the front. I like that...should get one of those installed here.

• Molly
    Magnetic strip near the stove.
  • mkhodges
    Agree with the Kapoosh. Love mine. And they can be thoroughly cleaned. However I also don't see much difference in putting clean, dry knives into a block versus putting them into a drawer or any other type of storage. One thing I am careful about is being careful that the knife is perfectly dry before putting back into the Kapoosh even if it means letting it "air" on the countertop while I finish cleaning the rest of the kitchen.
  • gina wylie
    We have a pull out that holds our knife block. I do not like a cluttered counter.
  • Rachel H

Yes, but it was a wedding gift. Divorced now - I got (took?) the knives. Interestingly, I'm aware there was a recall on my particular knife block because if you pick it up, one of the larger knives pokes through the bottom. I didn't act on the recall but remember getting the notice.

• bvisailor

Magnet. But if your knife block is covered in bacteria or mold you really should be washing & drying your knives before sticking them in there! :P

• Katrina Crenwelge

Ours is installed under the cabinet and swivels. It is a fabulous hidden option, and safe, too!

(Similar to this one found on Bed, Bath and Beyond)

• milledj

Like Katrina, I have an under cabinet knife storage and I love it. I must admit, though, below it is a drawer that has storage specifically for knives that I store my good steak knives in. Wusthof made the block I use under the cabinet.

• feathercd

Knifes in the drawer. I have a drawer with a wooden insert to hold my knifes, I love it! One of the many things I love about my kitchen remodel.

• mia506

I used to use the wooden knife block that came with the set of knives. As I prefer an uncluttered counter top, I now use a drawer insert especially for knives. Works out well!

• bcoug

We have had a wall-mounted block and a magnetic strip. In our kitchen now we didn't have appropriate wall space and we do have loads of counter space, so we use this wood/magnetic block and are very happy. It garners many comments from visitors as it is unusual.

• Wendy Christensen

I watch a lot of true-crime shows. You would be horrifed at how often a home invader with murderous intent grabs a knife from a handy knife block on the kitchen counter and uses it to attack or even kill somebody in the home. Don't make it so easy. Keep your knives hidden.

Mary Bolts

Good knifes are the sign of a great cook. You bet my knifes are on my counter!

• mandjdai

I used to have knife blocks, but it seemed I was constantly cleaning them, and they
    were taking up too much of my limited counter space. I tried magnetic
    knife strips a few years ago and have never looked back! It's placed in
    the section of our counter where the majority of our prep work goes on.

• avonlm

if you cook and have good knives who in their right mind would have dirty, mouldy knife blocks or drawers or anything for that matter. I have very good knives and they are sharpened frequently, and ALWAYS hand washed and dried and put back into my clean (fall thru) knife block or in their own cases.

However you prefer to store your knives is great. I just do not get the "dirty, bacteria filled knife block scenario" because it is never going to happen in my home!

• adivra

The way I see it, knife blocks sitting on a counter just naturally get dust, cooking crumbs and grease in them. Not right away, but eventually. I empty my utensil crock at least once a month and it's amazing what 's in there. Same would happen to a knife block, only it's much harder to clean properly. Properly stored in a drawer for me.

• pattym143
    No knife block for us. We use a wall-mounted magnetic knife holder. Love it! Easy access to knives and frees up counter space.
    Mark Bischak, Architect

I had writer's block once . . .

• Rachel H

Bah-dump-ching.

Design Details

I prefer my knives to be in easy reach and safe from injuring or being injured, but I'm not a fan of knife blocks with their high center of gravity. When I created my kitchen prep area I reduced the top drawer depth and recessed the knives into their own slots in the Brazilian Cherry butcherblock. a pan mounted below catches any fallen crumbs.

• abramsonka
    Nope, my knives hang out in a drawer.
  • sasknes
    I have a set of knives from Cutco I have them in a block on the counter. The blocks are appropriate for the knives they sell. Check them out Cutco.com . Their knives come with a lifetime warranty. You can send them in to be sharpened and they are returned ,you pay shipping only. I have had my set for over 25 years and I love them.
  • J

Wusthof 14-slot In-drawer Knife Storage Tray
    by Wüsthof

Link: http://amzn.com/B0009NMVV4
    We had a knife block for years but in our kitchen remodel ended up switching to this in a drawer and love it!

Mint Design and Development LLC
    I keep mine on a magnetic strip attached to the side of a large butchers block table
  • dragontal

We have a knife block but we don't use it anymore.

• Shannon Dopler

Just bought a new block set from Hampton Forge. Great knives. Love them. It replaced two old sets we had for years.

• mom3333

We have a set of 9 knives and a sharpener in a block. We got the knives 34 years ago as a wedding gift and I remember going out and buying the block. I remember thinking, these knives better last, I saw them at the store for $20-$60 each, way back then. Te brand was 'Chicago Cutlery.'

We still use them daily

DaVill Blinds
    As a kid we didn't and we're always cutting ourselves.
  • Beth Bevington
    When we moved into our home 12 years ago, I had it feng shuid. Always had a block on the counter. Never really like the look or feel. I learned a lot about knives and relationships,
    also placement. We got an insert that works beautifully separating chefs knives, bread knives and any others. What a difference good knives make in cooking prep!
  • Gina Owensby
    I ditched the block from my counter.... Hung a nice 12 inch black walnut wood magnetic holder close to where I accomplish the cutting, chopping and slicing area. I use on a regular basis 3 knives and a pair of scissors which are always handy and available... The rest are sheathed and in a drawer. If I have not pulled them out in a year I will donate to a soup kitchen.
  • writerinfact
    When I finally bought matching knives ( no more hand-me-downs! ), I picked up a knife block to keep them safe. Then I spent a week on the back patio with a hacksaw blade, because the slot just wasn't wide (?) enough for the chef's knife. I would prefer a magnetic strip, but how could that work when I buy ceramic blades? :-)
  • Ava Williams
    I think it looks neater than a bucket of knives.
    Stecki Construction

I have a knife block on my counter. However, a knife block in the kitchen drawers is a great idea.

• Jolene
    In a drawer as I don't like much on the counters.
  • Nicole Leslie
    Because I have a very curious special needs child my knives are stored in a box on top of my fridge. It's the only place she has not figured out how to reach yet.
  • havingfun

Ok, I am on gonna make this even worse, I now keep mine in a divided drawer, long ones in one misc in one, and shorts in another. I am going to look into the bamboo diy, thanks. I had the magnet thing when I gave up my block, but found a big knife on the floor, I worried about my fuzzie ones and started keeping in a drawer. I had a block for years, never could hold all my knives. but, I lived in FL where palmetto bugs - translate giant flying roaches that love to eat soap and glue and get everywhere, climb up drains etc. anyway one day I picked up the block and a little roach fell out. I rinsed it real hard and more fell out. after I got over the screaming mimis, it went straight in the outside garbage never to return. I try to never think of it. Ewwww!

Design Details

I always encourage my clients to consider their knife storage because dull knives are dangerous. A well respected blade should not have to live in a pile of others. The options are a little obvious: knife block, knife drawer, magnetic strip, or some other form of slot. The magnetic strip is a great professional-style solution (as long as the blades are magnetic). My own kitchen has slots in the butcherblock but I've actually gravitated to knife drawers even though they steal drawer space. Over the years I've had a number of sensitive clients that shrink at the sight of a knife. One woman in a very good neighborhood actually said she was afraid of a burglar pulling one of her own knives on her! They've probably seen too many Halloween movies but it's kind of weird that some folks refuse to have knives visible when not in use. This usually results in dumping all the knives into a drawer to get them off the counter where they become dull and dangerous. I prefer to see my knives so I can monitor their condition. The only knife storage systems I use treat knives as tools to be well stored and maintained.

Some people think my own view is a little fanatical but I hardly ever cut myself.

• tw123456

I had bought a couple of knife magnets to install on the wall, but then I thought of our little ones (grand kids) running around, I just felt safer just putting them in the drawer.

• havingfun

yep, came home one day found some on the floor, guess the cats knocked down. last time i did that. you do know tw, noone has been here since August? tehehe

• Global Citizen.One

I have a magnetic knife bar which I have hung on the side of the upper cabinet near the sink. These are high enough to be out-of-reach of the little ones and right at my finger-tips when I'm preparing a meal. Only have the essential knives out at-the-ready the rest of the knife set is tucked away in the drawer.

• susanalanandwrigley

I voted no but I guess technically I do, but it is inside a drawer. Knives are organized, safe (ie sharp edges sheaved) and easy to find. And it takes a surprisingly small drawer to store a good number of knives. Mine was not built in but fits the drawer so well that it might as well be.

• mzloolue

I have a knife block, but it is currently hidden away and has been since my son and his girlfriend were making a snack late one night.

She grabbed one of my knives to slice some cheese and did not realize how sharp it was.

He had to take her to the ER for stitches.

I guess I need a fabric cover for the knife block.

Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz