Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_77801

can a queen anne style dining room armchair be slipcovered?

11 years ago


Comments (35)

  • 11 years ago

    thank you

  • 11 years ago

    This couldn't be easier. Just unscrew the seat, use the old fabric for a template and staple the new fabric on. Check out u-tube, I'll bet there are a lot of how to videos for this.

  • 11 years ago
    I see what you are saying but I was not talking about just the seat but slip covering the whole chair
  • 11 years ago
    I couldn't find anything that looked good! Perhaps new seat and or paint?
  • 11 years ago

    A slipcover over a wooden frame chair would always look messy, as the fabric would slip and slide all over the place.

    User thanked Nancy Walton
  • 11 years ago
    Not advisable.
    User thanked km kane
  • 11 years ago

    thank you

  • 11 years ago

    Change the seat fabric to something colorful and pretty.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    YES. We do them all of the time.

    Custom fitted and styled. Easy on-line ordering - Needle & Shears Custom Decor

  • 11 years ago

    If you used a padded slipcover for the back, and fitted it snugly with leces or buttons, it would work.

    Or just slipcover the seats.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    A queen Anne chair is a beautiful thing. Use it as an accent piece in an eclectic mix of other furnishings. Yes, replace the seat cover, it's drab...perhaps use the same seat cover fabric on some throw pillows on your sofa or love seat to tie it all together. Trying to slipcover the chair will not make you happy...it will always look as if it's someone's big mistake.

    Good luck!

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks everyone for the comments.....I have seen the light and I will just replace the seat and maybe paint the wood out(not sure yet). I really appreciate all the advise. I love HOUZZ! :)

  • 11 years ago

    I think slipcovered queen anne chairs are great and when you have a whole roomful at the dining table it gives you a whole new look - the velcro tabs now that make nice flat pleated skirts are lovely. Padding and buttons are really amazing - you can have a tailored look without paint - do reconsider if that is what you were hoping for. Just need a pro slipcover maker and I think you would be very happy.

  • 11 years ago

    If it's not a true antique, do what I did with my reproduction Chippendale dining chairs: I lacquered them in white high gloss paint and upholstered them in a chic orange faux leather. Dynamite!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I think the design of the chair is too great to cover with slipcovers . But I agree with above..... lacquer the wood and use an updated great fabric for the seats. I am doing that with a client with the host and hostess french chairs and leaving the other chairs in the original wood but with new chair seats. Good luck!

  • 11 years ago

    First, decide if those chairs are actually comfortable. If not, be sure to do something with the cushions, then cover.


  • 11 years ago

    Yes, they can be slip covered. I have two chairs exactly like yours, and four without the arms. I had beautiful slipcovers made that had hidden zippers. They looked great until my youngest rescue cat used them all for a very expensive scratching post. I finally took them off and have them bare again. Oh well, they looked great while it lasted. I will try again when she is older because they do look so good.

    User thanked donnamichelle1
  • 11 years ago
    Please NO. Just replace fabric on the seat and appreciate what you are lucky to have.
  • 11 years ago
    The wood is beautiful. Please don't touch it. You have a high quality piece here. Please don't ruin it by painting it!
  • 11 years ago

    I think of reupholstered Queen Anne's chairs as the ones you get at the thrift store on $5 Fridays-then they are redone with new cushions and chair backs etc. and then they look like a million bucks. Your chair looks awesome as it is (I think the wood is beautiful)and goes wonderful with your table and buffet & the room seems to have nice color and light. I like other comments about just doing the chair seat and then if they need more padding do this as well when you recover the seat

  • 11 years ago

    I think the fabric you choose is so fun. It looks great. Now what kind of table are you getting?

  • 11 years ago

    Queen Anne Style furnishings are Classics and I would not do anything to them but put new seat covers on the seat parts. Now here is what i would suggest u do instead. Find or purchase another classic style upholested bench for one side of your table in the matching fabric of the new seat covers and change the accessories in the cabinet with various inexpensive blue and white Classic Chinese plates and porcelains inside it and then on the table itself place several large Vases and Ginger Jars on it as your centerpieces. Chose a blue and white pattern for the new seat covers and u could just buy a traditional Adam, Sheridan or any kind of traditional bench apholstered in a nice white linen fabric as a counterpart to offset all the blue and white porcelains in the Cabinet and the table centerpiece. U can also have a mirror piece cut to go under the blue and white porcelain pieces on the table or u can add tall or branch silver candle holders in the centerpiece mix or clear candle holders with white large candles in them among all the blue and white porcelain pieces on the table....U can find inexpensive designer fabrics online from many sources.. Fabric.com is one and Thibault and Robert Allen offer many classic blue and white fabric choices also do not forget there are many new painting techniques available to u now or Classic wallpaper also can be put into the mix for a new and a fresh traditional look... I am a retired Design Professional who has many years of experience in this and also many years of formal education in both Art, Archictecture and Interior Design....much good luck with your project......


  • 11 years ago

    Im speaking my mind and I really think the chair looks perfect with or without the slip cover...Painting it again would be wrecking the piece while putting a slip cover will make it seem weird


  • 11 years ago

    I have been looking for this chair for 10 years. Could u please tell me where I could find them thank u so much.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I do them all the time. It's true, they can move around on the wood and there is also the concern of the wood wearing through if they have sharp or hard edges like a squared top on a Chippingdale type chair. It would be more successful with the arms exposed because you can make the back snug. The seat would attach around the back rails and the arms helping to keep it in place. I did a set of these with the backs done like a pillow case. On armless chairs, they wouldn't need closures. They would just slip over the back. I usually use velcro closures on the seats to work around the wood. There are arm chairs with this but I haven't scanned them in yet.

  • 11 years ago

    6marlene, I got my dining room set at Thomasville about 20 years ago. The style is Winston Court and I don't know if they make it any longer.

  • 11 years ago

    Try Craigslist in most major cities or Kjiji. They come up in Estate sales often or from older seniors downsizing their homes. They normally be found on One Kings Lane.Com also. Hope this information is useful to you. Good luck in your search.....

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you for info I will try again I have tried a few times Mine are by Andrew Malcolm and they are not made anymore either

  • 11 years ago

    You know most unprofessional's think in terms of buying sets whereas most professional designers more then often then not will break up sets by using two unmatched Host & Hostess chairs or a bench in a different but compatible traditional period so that it is not so matchy, matchy. This gives it more style and a more professional edge. Just consider it a tip from an old pro who grew up in the design world and still loves it...I love to help teach others what i have learned over many years of experience. In my blood as they say....Again good luck but consider other possibilities......perhaps it is time to try something new....A suggestion would be to go to Wayfair they usually have sets of nice traditional host & hostess chairs in white, biege or sometimes printed fabrics that would go well with your Queen Anne side chairs then u could place the two QA H&H chairs on either side of your buffet-china cabinet..They offer nice quality for very low prices. Also u can try Overstocks.com or Amazon.com for similar items..Normally they sell a set of two for one price....Good luck and have fun doing this.....

    User thanked nancy whitehead
  • 11 years ago

    thank you Nancy, I am actually mixing things up. I am not a professional but I love to explore all kinds of design ideas. At the risk of shocking some, I have had my buffet painted white, and I am getting a trestle table. I am trying to figure out whether to keep the chairs. I like your idea of keeping the chairs and placing them on either side of the buffet(extra seating!) I have had this set for 22 years. I would prefer to find a new home for it but using some of it will work too:) thanks again!!

  • 11 years ago

    Good. You sound like you are exploring fresh, new ideas. Most of all a home should reflect the lifestyle of it's owners and most of all function well for it's family. Probably one of the most important things I can tell you is to have fun doing it and keep shocking......lol Yes i told you to place those beautiful QA H&H chairs on either side of the buffet for extra seating.Glad you got the idea I was imparting. Always good to have extra seating around a home...You sound like you are having fun and design should be fun not a chore. Happy designing and keep enjoying all of the process.......

    User thanked nancy whitehead
  • 11 years ago
    donnamichelle1 the kitty caps from claws do work. Amazon has them.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    yes it can be slip covered. and yes it will shift so it will take more maintenance if they are used often. If you do a skirt it will bulge on the knee of the front leg and will flare in the back as the leg is a saber shape. which is to make the CH@IR stable.