Software
Houzz Logo Print
lexi65

Purchasing new 30 inch Electric/Convection Oven

11 years ago

The threads about oven purchases are pretty old. I really

would like to get a Miele Electric Convection single oven. However, in case they don't fit my space, I am looking at the

Wolf M Series or Wolf E series single Electric Convection Oven. That said, I've seen less than wonderful reviews and

on Wolf ovens and want to be sure they are reliable, hold their temperature and don't take forever to pre-heat. Does anyone

have experience with these Series. I understand the E Series are about five years old and Wolf M Series is about a year

old or so. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.



Comments (16)

  • 11 years ago

    What about the Bosch ovens?


  • 11 years ago

    Been doing a lot of due diligence, surfing the net, and picking sales rep brains. Understand that Bosch Dishwasher is part of Thermador. It's nit on my radar.

  • 11 years ago

    Since you don't mention it, make sure you read about the blue enamel chipping on Wolf ovens. The M oven was very recently released in hope that it's design will help with that issue. The series E and DF range have not been redesigned yet so I would avoid them. There were some posters here that were able to trade their damaged ovens for the M but they haven't had them long enough to see if they are OK.

    I have an Electrolux oven as well as my oven in a Wolf DF range and the Electrolux is a great oven. I do a lot of baking and it is very even. I did have problems with the blue enamel and the oven was swapped when it was brand new. That oven had problems at a little less than five years with the enamel but was fixed and I have had no more problems. No one else has reported any problems with Electrolux in the last several years unlike the recent problems with Wolf. My oven, 30 inch preheats to 350F in about 7 minutes without using the optional fast preheat. For any baking, for any oven, it should stabilize for another 20-30 minutes after it reaches temperature. Electrolux ovens have just been redesigned so that the 30" has dual convection fans. It also now has racks you can leave in for the self clean cycle. I would buy another one. Not so with the Wolf.

  • 11 years ago

    Wekick - good first hand experience with both ovens.

    I almost bought the elux and read about porcelain problems ( which turned out to be a non problem in the elux) I loved the racks and a piece of me wishes I had gone elux.

    I went with a wolf E series when they had a great rebate 3 years ago. (And a GE 240 advantium)

    Wolfie works fine and I knock on wood as I haven't had the porcelain issues.

    I have had 2 MDL errors which relate to the door motor lock. Although, it is technically out of warranty, Wolf covered the entire repair. I don't have total faith in the longevity of the Wolf.

    I don't usually buy extended warranties but am changing my opinion based on the newer electronic appliances and everything that can go wrong.

    In Europe, some appliances come with a 10 year warranty. Hoping that meanders over here.

    Of my 5 appliances (3-5 years old), all but my Wolf induction cooktop have needed some form of repair.

    Good luck hunting your oven.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I'm happy with my electrolux wave touch convection/electric oven, I would suggest you check them out. I would purchase it again without hesitation.

    Edited to add I personally prefer my Electrolux to MILs Wolf (2010). Better racks and she has experienced display failure.

  • 11 years ago

    I "think" the Wolf chipped/peeling porcelain issue may be caused by self clean... I know. i know. I simply would never use self clean. Have had my KA 13 years and never used self clean. Self clean is a so-called selling point for many. To me, logic would say that the EXTREME temperatures used to self clean would peel ANY THING. Although I'm looking at Wolf, my preference

    is Miele. Waiting to see if the Miele fits my space. That said, interestingly,

    I like the looks of the Wolf dark blue porcelain interior and the looks of the

    Wolf oven racks and the way the Wolf oven racks equipped with sliders roll.

    Have more confidence in Miele than Wolf. I also prefer the exterior looks of the Miele Oven I'm lookung at. Fyi. Miele has a patent on the stainless steel

    Smudge/finger print proof finish. Just want to treat myself to an upgrade,

    (My KA is broken and the built in obsolescence tells me not to put repair $$

    into it at this point.). Feedback from Wolf or Miele oven users would be

    great! Thanks a million!

  • 11 years ago

    ogic would say that the EXTREME temperatures used to self clean would peel ANY THING.

    Aah, but "logic" would be wrong! I had a KA before for 20 years, then another for 7 years and I have a Fagor now and I always use self-clean (frankly, if I had to NOT use self-clean, I probably just wouldn't use the oven) and have not had a problem with either (either peeling or blowing up the electronics)

  • 11 years ago

    What is door lock issue on Wolf? Have to do with self clean option? Thanks

  • 11 years ago

    Bosch and Thermador are owned by the same conglomerate but maintain separate facilities, etc. Bosch and Miele dishwashers are rated the highest of all the brands. However you asked about Ovens. Because you don't like one appliance doesn't mean you should discount them all. Each company excels at one or two appliances. I've had a Bosch 800 series convection oven for five years now with no problems at all. Great oven. Of course it doesn't have the "cache" of a Miele or Wolf.

  • 11 years ago

    I recently tried baking cookies in the Wolf M series, and it baked very evenly (cookies on different racks and in the corners of the cookie sheet) -- it was one of the most even baking ovens that I've tried (that and, shockingly, the Thermador Grand Pro). I, too, am a little leery of Wolf ovens b/c of the reported chipping issues here.

    I also recently tried the Miele M Touch -- this oven wasn't as even a baker as the Wolf with cookies (e.g. bottom rack front corner was less done than the others), but it was still pretty good. The Miele has a rotisserie option (which I couldn't try out b/c the Miele showroom didn't have any that were working -- they had a lot of prototypes hooked up), and it's also got the burst of steam option, which is pretty cool if you're a baker (up to 3 bursts of steam for 6 min. each). I do think the Miele interface is very complicated, and if you are an experienced baker, the whole Master Chef thing isn't that appealing. I do have to say that the Miele did an awesome roast chicken (which we roasted directly on the rack) -- much better than any other electric oven I've tried (tho I didn't have a chance to roast in the Wolf b/c I didn't have enough time).

    I also want to try the Gaggenau wall oven, which I understand is a great baker but I haven't actually tried myself yet. It also has the rotisserie option, but it's very pricey and only comes with 1 rack standard (which seems ridiculous given the price of the oven itself).

    I'm not looking at Bosch b/c I've had 2 Bosch dishwashers, and they were both awful -- needed major repairs within 1 year of owning -- so I've sworn off Bosch products as a result. Haven't looked at Elux but maybe I will...

  • 11 years ago

    Hi Lexi65. We are just now looking to renovate also, and I'm looking at the Bosch oven and the Miele. I figured the Miele was out due to price but hubby saw it in the showroom and fell in love. He also now understands why I want the Miele dishwasher. I wish the Miele didn't have the Master Chef, and wish it had a side opening door like the Bosch. However the Bosch side-opening door does not seem to have the soft close. I used to want Wolf but I have read a lot of comments on this forum about the enamel, very disappointing for such a nice product that apparently performs very well otherwise.

  • 11 years ago

    Divotdiva2 Since I'm told that the Wolf M is the first redesign for Wolf in more than a decade (if that is, in fact, true) I am wondering if they have correctedû

    the negative issues previously posted here and elsewhere?


    Bphsnsen. Did you actually use the store/showroom M oven to bake cookies? Wow!

  • 11 years ago

    a2gemini. You say you haven't had the peeling interior enamel issue on the Wolf E series . Do you use the self clean option?

  • 11 years ago

    Does anyone know if you can put a Wolf electric cooktop on top of a Miele single undercounter oven? Feedback please!

  • 11 years ago

    Just got back from a 3-hour cooking presentation at the Wolf/Sub Zero Showroom. The people working there were awesome! Really. I was incredibly impressed and they certainly exceeded my expectations. Treated everyone almost like royalty. Seriously. The food was awesome. Am more confused than ever. Thought the Convection Steam oven - about the size of a microwave was

    very interesting. The Chef says his family use it everyday. He doesn't have

    a Microwave! Fantasizing now about the M Series 30 inch Electric Convection, the Electric Cooktop and now the E Series Convection Steam

    that's the approximate size of a Microwave. Help!

  • 11 years ago

    I purchased a Miele double oven that has never been right. Purchased the extended warranty and Miele wouldn't replace (re-installed, changed the brain....temps improved but were never correct). Temperatures are so badly off that we use hanging thermometers in both cavities of our double ovens that cost over 5k. I will say that there is no better looking oven out there but if you like to eat what you cook you should really think long and hard about purchasing as it is a gamble.

    From what I've read and heard, Wolf has outstanding and honorable customer service....unlike Miele. When you are paying these prices that is a very big deal. We've made the decision to replace quite a while ago but have been waiting for Wolf to resolve their issues. We're planning on purchasing the M-Series soon.