Software
Houzz Logo Print
abassplaya

Layout help

11 years ago
Please be gentle. I'm a bachelor trying to create a "grown up" space for the first time. The question(s) is are there any other layouts you would try. I've tried many things but want to see what others might do. I'd like to get a small dining table in here as well. If anyone is wondering bar stools are also an option, but the counter is 50" high, so having trouble finding stools tall enough. The clutter in the front of the bar will be removed (chairs/boxes). I welcome all feedback/suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (37)

  • 11 years ago

    It can be tricky. I don't know what you hv tried but here are my suggestions. I would switch the two sofas. By putting the sofa that has no back against the wall, you can get a couple of decent size ( not huge) pillows to sit in the middle. Use pillows that are down des their it a blend that has down feathers. You can buy plain white cased pillows at a fabric store and then go to bed bath beyond where they sell pillow covers. Actually find the cover first so you'll know what size pillow will fit. An abstract pattern would be good, with similar colors as your artwork to pull it together. Move the dark sofa back a bit further than where the cream is sitting. Get a couple of pillows for it as well. The pillows don't have match as long as they have a common color in them.


  • 11 years ago

    I would also move your floor lamp over to the other side of room, angle it where the light hangs close the end of the sofa, but not directly over it. Take the brown throw you hv on the cream sofa then drape it over the back of the chair where it lays across in a random way. I'd use the piece of art you have on the opposite wall from where you currently have it, then get 2 pieces to hang over the cream sofa( that's once you switch the sofas) when you have the funds buy 2 chairs that you can use with your chess table, at the right height and put them against the wall,centered between the dark sofa and kitchen. ( after you have switched sofas) you may not be able to exactly center them, but make sure the 3 pieces are as far apart from the dark sofa as possible.


  • 11 years ago

    Moving your chess table will make it necessary for you to get a side table to go next to the dark sofa( once you've switched sofas) the table height should be approx 13-15 inches lower than the arm of sofa. Not too large in size.. Once it's moved the floor lamp will be on that side of the room do you don't need a lamp unless that area needs one. If so, get a lamp that has some detail. You could move your chair closer to the side table instead of it being centered and angle it inward toward coffee table. You will want a side table for the other sofa too, and probably need to have a lamp there. Put it at the end of the sofa opposite of TV. I'd use 2 different lamps instead of matching ones. Sit a couple of artsy books, and maybe a cool mec-large size deep glass bowl to go on coffee table. Integrate some color with that since the table is white.





  • 11 years ago

    You might get another rug for the entrance side of the room. It will break up

  • 11 years ago

    Oops.. It will break up the hardwood flooring, and give a softer/cozy feel. Get one with a slight design, not too busy and the right size. You don't want yo cover the entire floor. About the bar stools..you will hv to get the tall bistro table stule. Often you can find them at a TJ Max, Kirklands or even Walmart.

  • 11 years ago


  • 11 years ago


  • 11 years ago


  • 11 years ago


  • 11 years ago

    I believe the initial questions to ask are -- do you watch much t.v. and do you often watch it with others? If so, you might want to move the sofa so it sits across from the t.v so it's more comfortable for more people.

  • 11 years ago

    If you watch TV, then move the sofa where the armchair is now. If not, then I would have the backless sofa where the chair is now.


  • 11 years ago

    a nice start. you should be comfortable watching the tv...so, float the sofa so it faces the tv, and place behind it a console table, a chest of drawers or a writing desk to soften the look of the back of the sofa. keep the backless sofa where it is, and move chair to the wall side of the space, angled towards the L you have created with the larger pieces. turn rug the opposite direction and place the fab floor lamp into the corner between sofa and backless bench. adding a table lamp and some more, large scaled wall art, a few bar stools and some more pops of the great sunshine yellow will make the space feel more finished. keep us posted!

  • 11 years ago

    You also need several lamps--both table and floor.


  • 11 years ago

    Try moving the dark sofa so it's facing the TV wall. Move the white sofa next to the wall and maybe add some over-sized pillows propped up on the back. Hang the picture.

    Position the rug so it runs parallel with the entertainment wall and the sofa that's now facing the TV. You really need a larger rug. Just a larger version of what you now have.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Bar stools come in two main heights. Not sure your bar is really mean to act as a real bar more like a pass-thru or counter. It doesn't look like there's enough room for people to sit and get their knees under. A real bar would jut out into the room more so you could sit and eat. So you may not really need stools that would function for eating.

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. These are some great suggestions. I'll try them out as post pics along the way. Yes, I've realized the rug is too small, but too late to return now...I like the idea of putting the backless sofa along the wall with big pillows. There is also the matter of saving enough space for a small dining table too, so keep the ideas coming. Thanks!
  • 11 years ago

    Don't block the window with the TV. Place the backless bench in front of the window so the view stays open. Choose one wall for the TV and place the the sofa facing the window and bench. Put the chair (and perhaps another matching one) on the wall opposite the TV with the art. Now that your sofa has its back to the dining area, find a table that is the right size to back up to the sofa. A drop leaf table will serve as a sofa table, you can eat there at one end of it, or raise the leaves and seat guests.This will also allow you to back the entire furniture arrangement further away from the window and into the dining area.


    Casual Elegance · More Info
    Country French Cottage - Living Room 2 · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    Oh I like decoenthusiast's solution. Love to see that layout.

  • 11 years ago
    an updated layout from the feedback
  • 11 years ago

    I would move the TV along the wall (where you have the white chaise now), sofa facing the TV and the white chaise where you have the TV now,,I think this way you won't block the view


  • 11 years ago

    I usually don't comment without reading all previous comments, but I have to here. Why is the TV in front of the window???

    Just read deco's suggestion and it makes the most sense. I implore you to move the TV to one of the walls. The bench goes in front of the window to retain the view.


  • 11 years ago

    Also, don't smush your furniture all together. Center the seating in the space you have allotted for it, pulling if off of the walls.

    Nice place, BTW.


  • 11 years ago

    I can't agree with not placing a TV in front of windows, grover. This way you have the lovely view as well as being able to watch TV. Plus if it is on any other wall you will have too much reflection on the TV. It's just a personal quirk with me. I would like to know if anyone else feels the same?

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Well since you are patient I'll offer mine -- that a backless daybed-couch is partly ideal for [as already mentioned], keeping the sight line 'open' - so I wonder if it'd look best not looking like an actual bed/against a wall, and so low, but where the chair was at first....? or hey, let's play musical furniture, and just post all possibilities. If you incur a medical problem, we'll encourage... sorry can't help myself...lol

  • 11 years ago

    When you move the TV to a side wall, set it on a swivel base so you can adjust for any window glare. You may already have a glare resistant set. Please try my suggestion and pull your seating further into the dining area. I think you'll like it and may find you have room to add a mate to that chair for more seating.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    im going to guess that everyone said put the white sofa under the window, the brown sofa facing it the chair and table on the back wall, and the tv across form it. A larger rug, some table lamps. I really hate to say it but I cant stand that arch lamp..... and I love those, I just don't feel this one is right for you.


  • 11 years ago
    I will try the backless sofa against the window, one of the things I was warned of was having furniture in direct line of the sun due to pontential fading...thoughts? The tv is sitting on top of a long heating/cooling unit and wanted try it there to free up the space of a tv stand but maybe its not "right". I want to settle in on a layout before I add more lighting, larger rug (if i can find something to do with the current), and other accessories. The other thing bothering is the misstep color misstep b/t the coffee table a daybed. I was going for pure white, black, gray and yellow. In the store it looked a lighter yada, yada, yada...any idea how to soften that clash? Thanks again, more to come
  • 11 years ago

    If the glass doesn't have UV protection, then yes, it's not a good idea to set furniture near the window.


  • 11 years ago
    I would definitely move the TV, mount it on one of the walls. Also don't push furniture against walls. Leave some space between the couch and the wall.
  • 11 years ago

    ABassPlaya, what a beautiful space you have. Wow!
    I have always heard that a backless sofa is like a room divider, so people can set on it facing either way. In that case it would be best if set parallel with the window. If this were my room I'd lay out the furniture this way.



  • 11 years ago
    Checking back to see what you have come up with. Looks like you have the hang of the decorating daze. Lol. Just remember you can ( and should) occasionally switch things around so you don't get bored. Think about where and why you would use any new item (decor or furniture) beside you buy it! Enjoy your space, place and life.
  • 11 years ago
    That's BEFORE you buy it. : /
  • 11 years ago

    Backless sofas make wonderful cross linking pieces between other seating. This kind of arrangement works best in a long room, but you might pull it off if you added a pair of smaller scale slipper chairs upholstered in a Sunbrella indoor/outdoor fabric to resist sun fade. They would sit at the window, then your backless would go between them and the sofa, which would face the window. TV on a side wall and a drop leaf sofa/dining table behind the sofa with a pair of interesting chairs for it. When you entertain and need more chairs use some slipcovered folding chairs to complete the table setup. Here's a Sunbrella fabric idea.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    well no matter where your furniture is it will be "near the window"... right now you have all that sun hitting your electrical components...


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    and you have it on a heater.....that cant be good.


  • PRO
    11 years ago