dtunes

Kitchen Headache

Adam

i there. I am planning on renovating my entire kitchen and terrace and have been trying to come up with the best design and layout. I tried to do it on my own and came up with a peninsula layout and really wasnt convinced. I then went to two kitchen designers and after asking me what i wanted to include in the kitchen they came up with the almost exact same plan. I wanted to start the reform a couple of months ago but have had to delay everything until I can really make a decision on the kitchen, which also affects the outside design depending on the positioning of the door more than anything. So here are the plans i have been working on for the last few months...

• Adam
    Those high celings again..

I really want to love my living room when I walk in.. just dont know whats up... the energy feels off. I love my sofa, floor, windows, doors, curtains.. it just doesn't feel right.

I go to friends flats which are old, smaller and not renovated and they feel different.
  • Denise Marchand

Stuff, you don't have any. Need art and accessories and stuff that makes you happy and shows your personality. I'm not a big fan of seeing a tv as soon as you walk in. Can you try relocating the sofa along the tv wall and the tv on the left of the bay window? Then put the long cabinet on the long wall left of the window.

Art and floating shelves above the long cabinet. Plants in front of the window. If the new sofa wall is not long enough, pull it away from the wall.

Adam thanked Denise Marchand

Taking out a wall giving us a design headache

If I were you I'd go with all wood floors. You could then stain the all the floors darker from a golden oak stain to an ebony or keep the light tone you have now. I can't see a light color floor tile in the kitchen and dining room with the light oak in the livingroom, if you do decide to do the dining room and the kitchen in a tile. I think in that case, I'd do a slate tile, like this: http://www.builddirect.com/Slate-Tile/San-Rio-Rustic/ProductDisplay_6947_p1_10067081.aspx For counter tops, I prefer a light color to see things better. Just for color choices, look at Amarillo Sand, Bamboo, Ivory Coast, Capri Limestone, Blanco City, Urban Cream or Diana Pearl any of which would look great with your Maple cabinets. Some of these are very close to white. See the web: http://www.silestoneusa.com/colors/ For the backsplash, you can't go wrong with subway tile or you could continue the material of your counter top .

POLL: Your biggest clutter headache?

Pool and game tables in the basement. - DH's favorite dumping ground for things he claims he doesn't know where they belong - which is most everything according to him. The main reason for me is I rarely go down there, so I rarely pick it up. When I do go down, WOW! After one of my surgeries, I went down after 2+ years and there was stuff on every surface including the floor, not just the tables. I had to hire help to get it cleared out. Thank goodness I could do that.

kitchen remodel headache

If looking at RTA cabinets, check out the Titusville line at Kitchen Resource Direct. All plywood construction, maple faceframes and doors, ballbearing drawer glides, I-beam construction. Priced similar to Adel Medium Brown. LIFETIME warranty and free shipping with $2,000 purchase. They will also design your kitchen. They also have Deerfield preassembled cabinets. All plywood, maple faceframes and doors, Blum drawer glides, LIFETIME warranty, and free shipping with $2,000 purchase. Free design. These are priced similar to Shenandoah cabinets at Lowes.

HELP! Kitchen Layout Headache...

I don't think they can widen the doorway on the side opposite the 14" wall. That would eliminate the support post for the door at the back of the entryway, outside the kitchen. An angled cabinet at the 14" wall makes most sense to me.
  • Denise Marchand

Or center the black cabinet in front of the window. That might be better. You can make it a wonderful perch for kitty with a pet pillow and plants. I always felt that the sofa was too contained in the window bay. Almost forced.

Adam thanked Denise Marchand
  • Adam
    You dont see the TV when walking in. You face the bay and only see the TV from the sofa as it is hidden by the plant as you look sideways.

Denise, I have a good idea which isnt costly and will really open up the room and give me more possibilities. I will show you a floor plan in a minute.

By the way, I love this living room, but obviously much more spacious than mine and allows more options.
  • Denise Marchand

I'm driving across the US from NYC to LA and in New Mexico right now. It may take a little time to get back to you.

Adam thanked Denise Marchand
  • Adam

Columbus · More Info

Columbus · More Info

Columbus · More Info

• Adam

Glassing in my small balcony and knocking the interior wall down.. Only thing is there would still be a 10"x10" pillar.

• claire_larece
    What does your kitchen looks like at this moment.
  • claire_larece
    Are you using home design 3D or chief architect Adam
  • Adam
    I use sweet home 3d. Its a free program.
  • Denise Marchand

That is a very nice room. You can get that feel. I would still try the sofa on the tv wall and compose that wall, color and all, on the wall left of the window. The space is too small to have the media wall across from the window. Too "in you face". Working the length of the room will make it appear more spacious.

• Adam
    I'm not sure I understand. The sofa on the wall the TV is currently on and the TV where? The chaise will run along the back wall won't it?

What do you think of the possible change I can make to the room?
  • Denise Marchand

Now Im not sure of the layout of your place. The windows in the living room face a terrace?

What is the length of the sofa and what is the length of the existing tv wall?

yes the chaise would be in the corner. The tv would be in the corner on the left of the windows mounted to the column.

Then paint the left wall the dark grey with floating shelves, art etc. The tv shouldn't be the focus of the room.

i know the sofa would be tucked there but you might like sitting in that position.

It's worth a try at this point.

Are there dimensions of the living/dining room on this thread? What you like about the room you posted is the fact that the walls are ignored with the sofa floating. I need to do a floor plan. I won't be set up here until the weekend. Will get to it as soon as I can. I would like to see if th sofa fits angled a tad. And still moving the tv wall to that far wall (not the common bedroom wall).

• Adam
    The wall is 11 feet long and sofa with chaise nearly 7ft. There is a small balcony which I dont use through the French doors. The measurements are on one of my last posts in feet.
  • claire_larece
    Oh I used to use that program....thanks Adam
  • claire_larece

Did you want to open up your kitchen

• Adam

Slightly towards the right wall as you walk in for the fridge and oven to make it less claustrophobic and having a 12ft stretch of worktop at the back instead of only 6ft plus the island.

Denise and all, I'm going to create another topic about the living room as its getting a bit confusing on this one about the kitchen and going a bit off topic.

You will be able to get to it through my profile and it will have the measurements and layouts in one place so you dont have to search through hundreds of posts.

• Denise Marchand

Good idea.

• claire_larece
    lol Adam these measurements are outrageous for a kitchen.....very squishy
  • Adam
    Sorry, i dont understand you. The kitchen is nearly 15ft by 14ft in effect without the breakfast area. For a flat in the city where i live its considered fairly generous. In fact, most kitchens are galley ones and narrow. Including all new builds.
  • claire_larece

Got your attention....I actually wanted to use your dimensions to figure a layout myself.....the way I see it I would open up the whole wall but you would have to rearrange your Livingroom layout

• Adam

The living room is the other end of the flat.

Kitchen far left

Living room far right.

• claire_larece
    the kitchen should have been at the other end with the living room
  • Adam
    Well, cant move the plumbing and its next to the terrace so I like it separate.
  • claire_larece
    I like it the way it is too
  • Adam
    Finally getting back round to the kitchen and saving a lot by buying materials myself and making sure I get decent quality.

So I originally had thought about high gloss, but am having second thoughts now. I think the matte and especially satin finish look classy.

As for the worktop, my reservation with the quartz is the joints as its a long stretch and especially white as I can see the joints ending up black.

So i am looking at a seamless material called krion, which is similar to corean, but has a nicer finish, in my view at least. Could also have a seamless sink made with the same material.

Concerning the darker cabinets, i have seen some satin basalt coloured ones with a metallic finish and it also comes in cashmere and light grey.

Decisions, decisions..
  • Adam
    So deciding on cabinets and module colours now.. don't want to go too dark but don't want it to be too wishy washy either. The only thing I'm sure about is having a white countertop.

Leaning toward the metallic cashemire more than the dark basalt.
  • Denise Marchand

I agree, the lighter one is timeless. I'm tired of everyone's kitchen with dark cabinets, even though this finish looks nice. Also since you don't have much natural light on that side of the kitchen, it will lighten the space.

Don't forget to spec undercounter lighting, also.

• Adam
    Thanks Denise! I've already got the wiring ready.

What are your thoughts on the module colours and the matte vs gloss?
  • Adam
    Def needs something on the splashback to make give it some interest, too.
  • Denise Marchand

Hi Adam, I personally like the gloss, but I know you like to keep it low key. The matte looks good. Eat some french fries with greasy hands and touch the finishes. What happens to the matte finish? It would drive me nuts if it didn't resist stains. Did you ever try to clean frosted glass?

• Adam
    Its satin really and it seemed quite easy to clean.. will do some grease tests tomorrow! How about combining gloss overheads with satin lower cabinets and pantry?
  • Denise Marchand

Keep the same finish.

Adam thanked Denise Marchand
  • Adam

Have decided on the matt white and cashemire cupboards, want to keep it as clean anf bright as possible. So i am choosing the worktop now.. So many different shades of white!

Not sure about whether i should go for white carcases or aluminium.. I can also choose between dark grey and white for the drawer sides anf mecanisms. What are your thoughts?

Still hesitating about the island size.. I dont want to go for much more than 6ft long, but not sure aboht the depth.. 4ft may be overkill and 3ft feels too close to the cooking/ prep station. I also like sitting on the prep side of the island, but would lose storage if i left a gap for a stool.

Also not 100% about how to use the "nook" its 7ft by 8ft and feels very tight qith my current tabld and chairs which i dont even use as i tend to go to the big tabld in the living room or terrace, dependong on the weather. Suggestions?

Excited it is finally going to happen after all the trouble i have had and holdups.

• Denise Marchand

Hi, Adam, glad to see you have been working hard on your place.

Even though the cabinets are vertical and the tops horizontal, the color of the tops depend on the color white of the cabinets. Do you have a sample of the cabinet to put next to the counter samples? I would go for the brightest white. Food looks terrible on grey tones, I don't know why people use it.

A 4ft island is overkill and even looks wrong in a huge kitchen. You only need 12" for the seating area.

It looks a little tight in that space for a table and four chairs. I had a similar set up, and always sat at my main dining area. I set up my desk area and a small sofa in my nook in my kitchen. It was perfect being isolated from the rest of the living areas. I always face a window at my desk so that I can daydream once in awhile. Some call it deep in thought.

What did you finally decide on the living room layout?

• Denise Marchand

Kitchen/desk/lounge

This is what I really want ^ ^ ^ ^

Adam thanked Denise Marchand
  • Adam
    Thanks for the ideas Denise! The cabinets are what the samples are sitting on.

So maybe 3 and a half foot for the island? Seems like a good compromise.

I have another room i use for my office so not sure. The other option would be to extend my bathroom at a later date to accomodate a tub (which i really miss), but that would take space from the kitchen..

The living room is the same.. still problems with the sofa and after him coming to stick some more foam in it, it looks worse than ever... Seller says that they cant make another because the fabric would be different and has presented my case to the factory, apparently.. Wish he would just take it back now so i could get another and put an end to this nightmare.
  • Adam
    And what about the carcases and drawers? These are the options..
  • Adam

Pearl?

• Kelly MB
    Blanco soft or pearl. you will be able to have any colour go with it.
  • Adam
    i think the aluminum is more modern but will clash with the cashmere
  • claire_larece
    Yes the perla but also like the texture of the textil
  • Kelly MB
    the textile is nice but I think as time goes on the grain in it will become"old,"
  • Denise Marchand

Adam, you can't fool me, I know you will go with the aluminio finish. It won't clash with the cashmere, both are classic modern tones.

Sorry about the saga with the sofa. I never give up either, like a mad dog with a bone! But sometimes I wonder if all that fretting is necessary, as it's only furniture. Treat yourself to a fabulous Etro throw! You will never notice the wrinkles.

• Adam
    My fave is the aluminium for sure, but still have my reservations as they seem to clash when put side by side.. maybe white is safer.

Do you think it will look too clinical with white worktop, backsplash and overheads? Maybe i need something different above.
  • Denise Marchand

The aluminum is for the interiors only, right? You like architectural details, specify the aluminum.

I like an all white kitchen, especially since your kitchen has limited natural light. Here's a pic with dark upper cabinets, which is interesting and love the grid over the island:

• Adam
    Only the interiors. You know i like contrasts and all white may seem a bit wishy -washy with the white walls. (Mind the mess)
  • Adam

Am thinking about how to make a statement in the kitchen while keeping it modern and minimalist. I am thinking a plain white splash with the same stone wont cut it... Problem with tiles is the joins i tend to think.. any ideas? Came up with this..

• Adam
    LOVE this