Software
Houzz Logo Print
stacie_dugas

how to soften a room

11 years ago

I just bought this very overpriced custom sectional that I hate. Reasons? I must have mismeasured - feels too small on the window side. And everything about it feels rigid. I wanted a space that the whole family could "cuddle up". What can I do to soften the space and make it more inviting? You can see that I'm experimenting with pillows but the creams I planned to use seem to contrast too much. Rug is new. I have the drapery panels in a deep olive gold silk also but I have two paintings in the room with reds. Also, I've tried draping the side arm with a throw blanket but the more I put on the sofa the tighter the whole room feels... Open to replacing the coffee table. If I thought I could get even 75% back by selling the sofa and starting over I would be open to that as well.


Also attaching a couple of pictures of more what we were going for...


Comments (17)

  • 11 years ago
    Sofa is fine. Get rid of coffee table go big ottoman instead. Nice to put feet on. Add bigger pillows in a print using colors from panels. Add bamboo shades under panels. For a finished look or a roman shade. I would have gone a print in rug. Also using your colors like a Persian rug. For interest.
  • 11 years ago
    Let's see rest of YOUR room.
    Stacie Dugas thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 11 years ago

    Your room is almost identical to your inspiration photo so you've made the right choices so far. Follow Nancy and Maureen's advice and you'll be there. If you notice in your inspiration shot the cushions are dark and kind of funky. Throw in something whimsical to add that casual, cozy feel.

    Stacie Dugas thanked Lila
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks, ladies. I so appreciate this forum! I will take more photos of the room and upload tonight when I'm off work. BTW, those are woven shades on the windows - they just kind of got blown out with the sunlight. Nancy... if you were to do an ottoman here would you go for a print upholstery or a leather? Lighter?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Great advice...one more thing..have you tried moving the sectional in closer to the hearth? It may make a difference on how the short side looks.


    Stacie Dugas thanked JudyG Designs
  • 11 years ago


    Nancy Travisinteriors here's the rest of the room!

    BTW, I know that the lamp on the table is too tall. It came from the end table that was replaced with the sectional. :)

  • 11 years ago

    Last question... would it be better to go ahead and purchase an armless chair to extend the short side of the sofa or better to have the end table? I cannot bring the sofa in toward the fireplace more because of a floor outlet that is under that portion of the sofa.

  • 11 years ago

    I would use some red print throw pillows to bring in the red from your artwork. Then the sofa would be warmer in "feel."


    This last one is for "whimsy."

    Stacie Dugas thanked Nancy Walton
  • 11 years ago
    I'd go with an end table, but something out of the box!
  • 11 years ago
    I agree that linen draperies would really soften the space. Also like the idea of adding red pillows. It may help to remove items from the top of the built-ins. Then add some lighter colored accessories on the shelves to replace some of the dark ones. You might also think about painting the backs of the shelves an accent color or light color. If you don't want to paint them, you can paint thin board the size of the spaces and insert them. Love the sectional and rug!
    Stacie Dugas thanked Karen P
  • 11 years ago

    I would put the longer side of the sofa under the window, so you have more space in the middle


  • 11 years ago

    that is, the shorter side will be in the side wall, the longer part under the window , and you will have a lovely open space in the middle of the room


  • 11 years ago

    @Eileen Ritchie, it looks like there is a fireplace on that wall, so I don't think moving the sectional 90 degrees would work. Stacie, is there a fireplace there?

  • 11 years ago

    Stand 4 or 5 feet behind the long part of the sofa and take a picture looking forward. Show sofa back so we can get a feel for the room from that angle.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    It looks like the rug might be centered with the fireplace(?) but the sofa isn't? Could that be right?

  • 11 years ago

    Both rug and sofa should be centered with the fireplace if at all possible.