Software
Houzz Logo Print
ldaniell20

Frosted or clear glass for shower door?

11 years ago
We are finishing up a new bathroom. Trying to decide between frosted or clear glass. Anyone have an opinion on which way to go? I think I am leaning towards frosted due to privacy and cleaning issues. It is the first thing you see when you walk in the room. What would you use?? Thank you!!

Comments (28)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I would go with a stylish version of a frosted glass. Check out options...there is "rain glass" look that is pretty. This shower is "rain glass"...

    Ranch House · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    That is pretty Darzy! Headed to the glass store Thursday so I will check it out! Thanks!!
  • 11 years ago

    i'd go with plain *unless* you can see a full sized sample of what you order. sometimes a photo or small sample can be very deceiving.

  • 11 years ago
    Cast glass images...we are thinking of using satin glass. Do you know much about it and do you have any pics of it installed?
    Thank you!!
  • 11 years ago
    We have used "Rain" glass for privacy. I hate to feel like I am on simply when I take a shower. Plus if the glass has a texture you can't see any streaking. It is easier to clean.
  • 11 years ago

    It's a personal decision. I like clear because I want to see out. I do not like to be enclosed without being to see the whole area.

  • 11 years ago

    i'm always a bit bemused/confused by folks feeling on display in their shower... do some bathrooms not have doors? do some bathroom doors not have latches? do some who have latched bathroom doors still have other family members who break down the door?

  • 11 years ago
    I think we would need to see a photo of your shower.
  • 11 years ago

    Some have only 1 bathroom. And some kids or others are unruly.

  • 11 years ago

    I like frost if it its private is needed.

  • 11 years ago
    The clear doors fog over due to the hot water. All of that condensation fully mitigates the privacy concern. So it really comes down to aesthetics and which look you prefer.
  • 11 years ago

    If you don't have fancy soap bottles and keep a razor and thirty different shampoos and soaps in there I suggest getting frosted. Nothing like using someone's bathroom and seeing all their shower supplies. However if you keep your house in model condition go with the clear since it looks better and shows off the tile work

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    @ldaniell20 satin glass is technically another word for acid etched glass. Frosted glass can be etched, sandblasted or acid etched glass. If used in a wet environment we would only recommend acid etched or "satin" glass as it is the least probed to dirt, smudges or fingerprints. If you use acid etched or "satin" glass, always have the acid etched side facing to the outside of the shower. One would use any of the type of glass for either privacy or aesthetic reasons only. If using etched glass, we recommend to use a sealer to seal the surface from dirt and fingerprints. An unsealed surface of etched glass is prone to dirt and fingerprint contamination. (Also always have the etched surface face to the outside of the shower.) We have done acid etched glass for large tabletops but not for any showers. P.S. You don't need a sealer on acid etched glass - only on etched (or sandblasted) glass.

  • 11 years ago

    Squeegee daily.

  • 11 years ago
    I would do clear and etch something on the inside of the door. I've done several like that and they are beautiful. One place was in a 1850s plantation house and it had double doors going into the shower. The plantation was named cypress Pond so we etched a cypress tree on the double doors. awesome!!
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you all for your comments!!This bathroom is attached to a bonus/guest room. I don't think it will get used all that often, although my husband says he likes it and wants to use it when it's done :). I am still leaning towards a frosted look due to nightmare stories I have heard about the glass getting ruined if one "forgot" to squeegee after use.
    As far as privacy...we have kids. End of story ;).
    I am attaching pics of bathroom. The bathroom is L-shaped and shower is on your left when you walk in the room.
  • 11 years ago

    ok, i'm still confused as to what kids have to do with it. i had two, they were never in the bathroom when i was showering. clearly mine must have been exceptional. and so are yours, that they can break down a locked door.

  • 11 years ago
    Haha, nnigrt! I have to admit it has gotten better as they have gotten older. They will now knock before entering a closed door :)
    We don't use locks on inside doors. I have never used locks in my house. Makes me feel like I am in a public restroom if I lock the door. Also, my kids aren't allowed to lock their bedroom doors.
  • 11 years ago

    Are frosted shower doors frosted on the inside? Are they harder to keep clean because of inside etching and all the moisture? Could I reverse to have the frosted side on the outside or would that look weird?

  • 10 years ago

    @ nnigit

    some family might not have the luxury of multiple bathrooms. If one bathroom has function of both toilet and shower, certainly there is a chance that one family member is taking a shower and the other suddenly need to use the bathroom. Some master bath has no door in between the sleep are and he bathroom. My master bath has a seperate toilet room with the door. But the shower is exposed to the sleeping and resting area. Some pEople might just not feel comfortable when been exposed themselves to others during their private time. I guess it's personal options.

  • 10 years ago

    @nnigrt, it's a psychological thing! Even with the door locked I still feel exposed

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    i have a big shower. the clear doors extend the look of space in the room. makes the bathroom look much bigger, esp if you put a light in the shower too.

  • 9 years ago

    We had considered a frosted glass door too for privacy but went with a clear door. I am soo glad we did! You DO have privacy due to fog on door during your shower. I think an obscure door is dated. Also, you can have the glass etched later on if you feel you need more privacy. HTH

  • 8 years ago

    ninigret, I share a large bathroom with my son and teen daughter. There are countless times when one of us needs the toilet or sink while another is showering. We've always had a shower curtain and it has worked out great, but now that we are remodeling, and going to glass doors, not having that privacy is going to be an issue.

  • 8 years ago

    Frost it. Around here we tell them to use the bathroom. I know about the sudden illness.

  • 5 years ago

    We ordered a pre-fab semi-frameless frosted glass door. I'm regretting it now because we have this great tile work that you won't be able to see very well.

  • 5 years ago

    Well u need it!