Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3wildmonkies

Researching artificial turf

N M
8 years ago

We recently tore out 4000 ft.² of grass and replaced it with a pool. We have been researching artificial turf and can't seem to find the prefect replacement for the 3000 square feet of dirt that sits around the pool now. We've considered using artificial turf and real grass but are leaning towards the artificial turf side since water is such an issue here in California.

Has anyone used artificial turf successfully in their yards or around the pool? It seems that every supplier and installer we talk to has a different story . We are trying to avoid using concrete and travertine around the pool and would like the grass to go up to the coping. If anyone has any infill or synthetic grass brands that they know that would work with keeping the temperature cooler than the normal artificial grass please share.We are trying to avoid using concrete and travertine around the pool and would like the grass to go up to the coping. We also are trying to avoid having to water the grass before playing on it to cool it down .

Comments (19)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    8 years ago

I have artificial for my dogs. It's not that hot. The newer more realistic grass has a lot more "blades" and it is not as hot as the old types. Having shopped through many different types they are fairly similar--get a higher-end product that looks realistic. You could add areas of shade via umbrellas, shade sales, a shade pavillion, that sort of thing--if you want cooler areas without the litter of trees. It does depend where you are--it's always going to be hot in Palm Srpings, for example.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    8 years ago

I researched it for a customer of mine, and was unexpectedly impressed with the product. If properly done it is very satisfying, but expensive. We did not buy it, but only because of the cost. Al

• emmarene9
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Like Al, the only thing that keeps me from getting artificial turf is the cost. I have noticed a rather snobbish reaction most of the time when this product is mentioned. To me it would be a perfect solution. At least there two members who have or are getting the fake grass. One lives in Palm Springs and the other I think is in San Diego. I don't know why Desert Dance has not shown her putting green. Maybe she thinks we have all seen it.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    8 years ago

The installers charge ridiculous amounts for the installation. If you buy the stuff and do it yourself, (if you have the strength to move road base and tamp it down) it's fairly affordable. Where it is really good is shadier places, exactly where grass doesn't grow very well.

• N M
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We have started the grading and base rock ourselves since my husband in is construction. The price on the turf is much more than real grass. I am surprised to not see more in these forums about artificial turf/fake grass. It seems to be really taking off around here in the San Jose Bay Area. We still have the real stuff in the front yard but the back is getting fake. It just seems to make more sense around the pool at this point with the drought and all.

• gregbradley
    8 years ago

We installed it in the grass area in front of our construction company. It is fine for that where people don't get too close, nobody walks on it in bare feet, kids don't play on it, etc. Stay 10' away and it's acceptable.

I could see it in certain front yards that might be similar in use, particularly where people don't play on it or where their kids are grown. In the backyard where I might want to be using it up close or around a pool, particularly with kids. NO WAY. Totally unacceptable. I'm in an inland valley of SoCal and the sun is hot here.

I can see the need to replace some grass but don't assume it just replaces all grass in all places. You need to be careful and pick your places to install it. I'm all for eliminating some grass and even replaced all the grass in my 10'x100' parkway 15 years ago when the city pitched a fit and even took me to court ON CRIMINAL CHARGES for removing the grass and installing low water use shrubs. I installed similar plants as they are now PAYING my neighbors to install this year.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    8 years ago

Recently we paid for installation of a putting green. NOT cheap! It's in our front yard and looks really refreshing and green, BUT it's hot on bare feet. There is cooler turf, but I don't know the brand. HGTV's Desparate Landscapes installed it in New Mexico in one of their episodes. I record that show, so not sure which episode or when it was shown, BUT they did stress that the family receiving that grass was the only one in New Mexico. Here is our putting green: https://www.pinterest.com/dances4wins/~highlands-putting-green/

We used to have a pool in La Quinta, CA on a golf course. Let's talk HOT concrete! Nobody walked to that pool barefoot. Flip Flops and Hawaiian Beach Sandals ruled all pool walks. Here we have a wood deck for pool access, and it gets hot too, but I fear splinters more, so Flip Flops and Beach Sandals are available for all guests.

• PRO
    Red Berm
    8 years ago

So u can install a sprinkler system around the synthetic turf and just turn it on for a few min if it gets too hot. .. Just an option not to use a hose. I don't know of a less hot brand but tiger turf guarantees the turf even if they don't install it which is good whereas synlawn does not guarantee if they don't install. One thing to think about is the pile of turf we usually install 1.25-1.4 inch turf we don't like to install 1.75 because it is harder to clean cause items get stuck in the blades. I'm doing a residence now that is synthetic turf to the pool coping so yes this is acceptable. You could always lay a towel down and get out of the pool on a towel then walk on the synthetic when u put on shoes.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    8 years ago

Seems like having to install an irrigation system just to cool down artificial turf is a little counterproductive.

I think the stuff would be great to use in shady areas where grass won't grow well, but it is hot in the sun. Our local High Schools and several public playing fields installed it in the last few year. I'm not a fan of the AT.

It's much hotter to play on than grass, even the surrounding area's air gets hotter. The little black rubber bits in between the blades got into players uniforms and even underwear(!) so it is dropped all over the floor where ever they go to change and shower. And you do have to add more of the rubber bits over the years.

I think it's a great choice for shady areas as I said above, and for areas that are just for decoration that don't get a lot of use, but not for actual walking and playing on. And I'd be worried that those little rubber bits could end up in the pool. IMO.

8 years ago

Rubber bits? Hmmmm. I watched the entire process! They put green sand in ours and it never goes anywhere...

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    8 years ago

That's interesting. In my area they use ground up black rubber, each bit is about the size of a medium grain of sand, to pour in between the blades. Sand would be much better I think.

• garyfla_gw
    8 years ago

hi

have been thinking of using it not so much for water but for weed control in a very shady area where not only will grass not grow but even the weeds struggle due to my pure sand with a bit of seashells . The usual solution is "mulch" but needs constant renewing and stone doesn't work because it collects dust and it's very tough to control the weeds... I suppose this would also be true for AT?? I'm located in s. florida so much different situation. How does it do in heavy rainfall,does it drain?? Would certainly look better in a shrub bed than mulch Thanks for any info gary

8 years ago

Ours is on sort of sand. Not beach sand. Decomposed Granite Sand. It does drain well. For the putting green, they put quickcrete underneath to keep the slopes intact, so water accumulates a little, but it drains or evaporates. Maybe here in So CA it just hasn't rained hard enough to tell? Drought, you know.

• N M
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Luckily for me the sprinklers are already installed from the prior grass we had so reconfiguring a few to water down the turf every once in a while is simple. We are looking at Global Synturf right now which has a W Blade 80 turf that is suppose to be 15 degrees cooler. We did look at Tiger which seems very similar. Also looked at Grasstex (which I love but its the most expensive and the one that holds the most heat), Purchase Green and one more I can't remember the name of that was similar to Tiger. We are looking at using Zeolite for the infill instead of sand to help with the heat and odors for pets, etc. Rubber bits are used for sports field and now there are other options beside those nasty little things for fields too. It's a huge decision and I hope we don't make a mistake installing this stuff. It seems like the installers here can't get it down fast enough to keep up the demand for turf right now.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    8 years ago

gary it's base is porous, like a woven fabric, so water drains right through. Mine gets dusty after a month so a quick, superficial spray makes it look new again--where you get regular rainfall the rain would do that for you. Whether it will be stable on pure sand is a question for installers.

• ra_ca
    8 years ago

A few months ago we replaced our back lawn in the San Jose area with artificial turf. We got the K9Grass Classic product and so far have been very happy with it. It does get warmer than regular grass, but that hasn't been a problem for us. Not all artificial grass materials are the same - different materials and different colors will absorb more or less heat from the sun. (Lighter color ones will not get quite as hot.) So check out various materials from various manufacturers before you decide.
    The K9Grass Classic installation does not use any infill, so there are no little pellets to be tracked around.
    And yes, it was expensive! But in our case, worth it.

• HU-557224895
    3 years ago

Useless for dogs. Odor started immediately after my dog began using. installed by authorized distributor. tiger turfs warranty is useless. Their enzyme turf fresh merely makes odor worse. Has to remove.

• John Koski
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

For dogs, a drain core is a must. The drain core will elevate your turf, allowing air to keep it dry underneath. Still, without chlorine treatment, it is going to smell like hell. But when treated weekly, we do not have a problem. This is much better than dust and dirt in the pool. Here is the article with cleaners that work Cleaners for pet turf