Software
Houzz Logo Print
123remodeling

POLL: Handheld Shower v.s. Fixed Showerhead

What is your preference? Handheld Shower v.s. Fixed Showerhead

What do you see as the advantage or disadvantage of each?

Why did you make you pick your vote?

Hand Shower
Fixed Shower

Comments (31)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hand shower is more flexible in cleaning me, a dog, and the shower.


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    My renoed MB will have both.

  • 11 years ago

    both. but a rainhead not mounted to the ceiling isnt a rainhead. its... a rainhead wannabee.

  • 11 years ago

    both. if you can't fix a rainhead to the ceiling, at least make it come out 90 degree angle to the wall for over 1 foot.

  • 11 years ago

    actually both if possible, my dad just took the (BIG) dog right into the shower with him, lot easier than the tub, cleaner too.

  • 11 years ago
    definitely both! Rainhead for me. Handheld for cleaner.
  • 11 years ago

    Handheld for sure. I'm a short person... fixed showers are always too high up for me to rinse out my hair effectively. Fixed shower heads in hotels always annoy me. :) I have to take a cup in there and rinse my hair that way.

    Now, if the fixed shower was actually my height... everyone else in the family would have very clean armpits. :)

  • 11 years ago

    you made me snort my coffee.

  • 11 years ago

    Fixed for me. Almost every handheld I have ever used at other peoples homes/hotels have always leaked-sprayed water everywhere- hate them. We have a fixed head on an adjustable arm so it can be raised or lowered as needed.


  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Both, of course. Being of a taller persuasion I find it unbelievable that a builder, architect or plumber would place a showerhead so low that I need to choose whether my head or my back be left out in the cold. I have little use for tubs but all my showers have a seat for washing feet with the hand held spray.
    This is where universal design begins.
  • 11 years ago

    My very favorite shower was one like that, cabingirl13. It was a handheld, on a wall-mount pole so you could set it fixed to whatever height you wanted or needed. That is the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, too expensive for me.


  • 11 years ago

    I have this dual system and can't tell you how much I love it

    http://www.riobel.ca/produit/fiche/KIT_323ZOTQC/N/N/N/6/0/KIT323ZOTQC.JPG

  • 11 years ago

    Well, cool! I just looked at 'shower slidebars' and they aren't nearly as expensive as I remembered. Now that has me hoping that my next bathroom re-do will include one of those!


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hand shower when overseas, fixed showerhead when in the U.S.

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Fixed, but I can see why people like hand-held too.

  • 11 years ago

    Handheld. We have one of those that can be fixed at any height on a slide bar. How do you clean a shower when there is only a fixed showerhead?

    123 Remodeling Inc. thanked midmodfan
  • 11 years ago

    when i rinse my hair i tip my head back and use my hands to squeegee my forehead, front to back, like when you come up out of a pool.

    i'm so charmed by the giant fat drops i guess i'm not put out by its perhaps being ergonomically inefficient.

    123 Remodeling Inc. thanked Judy Mishkin
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Midmodfan is so right! Hand shower, I just remove fixed shower from my bathroom to replace it with a hand one which I can hang up also, more flexible. It was way too high up for me to alter the flow on the shower head.

    123 Remodeling Inc. thanked Momof5x
  • 11 years ago

    A hand held on a sliding bar is the best thing. Ever.

    123 Remodeling Inc. thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    Overhead rain shower, and separate handheld on a rail. When I shampoo, rain shower, when I body wash, hand held, for luxury, both!
    123 Remodeling Inc. thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    i love my shower.


    123 Remodeling Inc. thanked Judy Mishkin
  • 11 years ago
    We have both, love them!
    123 Remodeling Inc. thanked abramsonka
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    with 67 votes.. Hand Held is in the lead with 41 to 26 for Fixed...

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    with 99 votes : Hand Shower has 68 votes to Fixed Shower with 31 votes... which is widening the lead of the Hand Shower voters.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Delta makes a shower head with a removable handheld that is pretty cool. At my husband's request (he asked for very few things but this was one), he wanted the handheld separate, which entailed more expense on hardware. We rarely use it except to clean the shower (we didn't buy one with spray options and decided not to use it to wash our dog as we initially planned due to concerns of dog hair in drain). When I redid my dads shower, we went with moen head and separate handheld with 5 water streams each. The hand held is on the back side wall near his seat so it was the right choice in this case. I do prefer the moen hardware in this case (delta for the 2-in-1). Hope this helps

  • 11 years ago

    Fixed for me, handheld for hubby. So plan to have both in our remodel.

  • 11 years ago

    Both is a luxury bonus, but I generally prefer handheld!

  • 11 years ago

    not expensive or need to wait anymore ck and drm home. They even sell the combos at Walmart and every big box store. Way under 50 is possible and they are easy to replace too. gotta have both, I have to sit in shower now. hubby still stands. Would rather not have to hold constantly, but it is what it is.


  • 11 years ago

    Haha really? I had no idea they were that cheap! Thanks, @havingfun!