Software
Houzz Logo Print
twocats

Help with dining room

11 years ago
Dear Houzzers, we just moved into our Amsterdam apartment and need help with our dining room. We just bought the table, the top is made from recycled teak, the base is black metal. the chairs are from the office, obviously they will go, but they are all we have to sit on until we buy dining room chairs!

This is what we have to work with:
-this is a rental apartment, we're not sure we will be staying more than a year, we need to live with the white walls for now.
- we would like to keep the mirror in the room
- not sure about the armoire, very handy but willing to sell it to replace it with something else.
- dining room adjacent to living room, separated by pocket doors. furniture for living room needs to be purchased(will have separate post for living room later).
-the room is quite large, 4.3 meters by 6.5 meters.

What kind of chairs would work best with this table? Would modern work?
Does the armoire need to go, or can we make it work in there?
Would a large drum shade pendant work over the table?
Not sure what to do with the glass shelves, we do not want clutter!
Would roman shades work in the window?

We like natural earth tones and greys, but are looking to add a pop of colour, not sure how.

We are trying to stick to a reasonable budget i.e under €200 per chair.

Any suggestions on how to put this room together without having to paint the walls at least for the time being, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Suzanne

Comments (72)

  • 11 years ago
    Hi drdeb,

    I like those chairs a lot, especially white leather. I will see if I can find a store which carries them.
  • 11 years ago

    Oops. Just read your Hubby is going to divorce me for suggesting those chairs. Well, any modern white or clear chair will probably do. Ikea has some great dining chairs, and they're all comfy.


  • 11 years ago

    More chairs:

    Midcentury Modern Chair, Green and Wood · More Info

    Natural Wood Wishbone Chair · More Info

    Lamar Dark Brown Modern Dining Chairs, Set of 2 · More Info

    Petal Side Chair with Red Cushion · More Info

    Bartlett Slotback Parsons Chairs, Set of 2 · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    rug:

    Classic Jute Stripes - Tan · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    I love your table, mirror, and the armoire will be invaluable for storing tableware where it is needed.

    This company (Valsiniidu AS) is Estonian, and from what I understand, their furniture is better quality than from the big box stores, but reasonably priced. I think they had some pretty chairs....
    http://www.tradewithestonia.com/estonian-export-companies/view/3897/valsiniidu-as
  • 11 years ago

    shades:

    Cotton Roman Shades - Yellow Cream 60 Inch Width - 60 Inches · More Info

    Cotton Roman Shades - Light Green 60 Inch Width - 60 Inches · More Info

    Striped Roman Shades, Gold, 36"x72" · More Info

    Chicology Sahara Sandstone Roman Window Shade · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    Romans I would hang from between the transom & the windows.

  • 11 years ago

    I suggest bringing in the color in the form of hand blown art glass vases to place in the glass shelves. Add LED lighting at the top.

  • 11 years ago
    Groveraxle, there is a dining room chair version of the Barcelona chair. Do you think they would be too bulky with this table?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Perhaps the armoire would be of more use in the living room. Consider a buffet or sideboard:

    Alba Solid Wood Sideboard · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    Check out art.com or GRreat Big Canvas for art. Only you can select your art. Also look at Ikea for ceiling light fixtures or Lamps Plus "sale" or "boxed".

  • 11 years ago

    I love the items you have so far. You have a lot to work with, floors, bright windows, mirrored french doors. Enjoy your journey.

  • 11 years ago

    What do you think of IKEA's Stockholm rug?

    http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/80104862/

  • 11 years ago
    Twocats, if you're looking for those chairs Google "Stam". I would suggest you be very cautious with reproductions with that particular chair, as I know someone who bought (admittedly pretty cheap) knockoffs, and they didn't last long.
  • 11 years ago
    I am glad your settled on know window treatments. I think a banquette with 3 acrylic chair would work nicely actually! Then you may be stuck with using a slightly more formal light... :) As for the backs of shelves, we will work those out soon enough!:)
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hi two cats,

    Love your style and gorgeous table. I can't photoshop like Grover, but just wanted to see the Barcelona style chair you like next to your table. I don't think it's too bulky at all.

    However, I think the chairs that sandraclark (the wishbone style) and the one (the Stam) drdeb suggested would pair better with the table. I like how both have curves, softer lines and lighter feel at the top portion of both chairs that seem to offset the heavier, linear feel of the tabletop especially.

  • 11 years ago
    er612, I do like the Ikea Stockholm rug, the striped version with the brown and dark grey. The largest size they have is 170 x 240, wouldn't that be too small for that table of 95 x 220 cm?

    drdeb, I have searched for Stam chairs, the price is about 600 to 700 euros a piece! Way over budget, boo hoo.

    Avery, I agree, a more open chair would probably look better with this quite robust table. I'll keep on searching.
  • 11 years ago

    here are more chair ideas:

    Farmhouse Dining Chairs, Set of 2 · More Info

    Yosemite Solid Wood Dining Chairs, Set of 2 · More Info

    Modus Furniture Portland Dining Chair in Walnut (Set of 2) · More Info

    Palindrome Flat Back Chair in Chestnut (set of 2) · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    I found this chair, white leather. Thoughts anyone?
  • 11 years ago
    Twocats, that price sounds pretty outrageous! Gosh, if that's really what they're going for now (in Europe anyway), then I'm very sorry I suggested them.
    The one you just posted looks quite nice, but I would be cautious about knockoffs, as I mentioned.
    That cantilevered design is a bit tricky, and it has to be made right or it won't last long.
    I'd probably go for some simpler, 4 legged design.
  • 11 years ago

    www.beslist.nl eetkamerstoelen has a great assortiment of many different chairs in various prices... can not download any pictures of them,but i think its worth a look...




  • 11 years ago
    These are 2 versions of a chair called "New York ". I DON'T know the price. (Don't want to lead you astray again).
    I don't think I would rule out those IKEA chairs I originally posted.
    They would be so budget friendly, and then some time in the future, when the budget allows, you upgrade to the Stam or your other dream chair.
  • 11 years ago
    We are actually reconsidering the Eames chairs reproduction! The model with the metal legs. The model we cannot stand anymore is the one with the wooden legs. We can get them for €69,00 a piece, well within budget.

    I also like the Ikea white leather chair Bernhard, but hubby thinks they look too Ikea. I am a little concerned that the back of the chair is not high enough and the chair would "get lost".

    Which option might look better with that table?
  • 11 years ago

    the Eames Chair would get my vote ;-)


  • 11 years ago
    Good idea! I also found a set of four for 250 US dollars in colored reproductions. Those might still work if you want a pop of color.
  • 11 years ago
    Eames.
  • 11 years ago

    I suggested the wooden ones as they have higher backs, however may be too much wood?

  • 11 years ago
    sandradclarck, indeed I think it would be too much wood. It looks like we are going for modern white chairs.

    Still need to figure out what to do with the walls. I think I will remove the armoire, but not sure what to replace it with.

    when do I pick a rug and hanging lamp? Before or after I decide on the rest of the furniture for the room?
  • 11 years ago
    We came home with a different version of the Eames reproduction.(the other 3 are coming on Thursday).

    We are looking at putting together 4 grass rugs from Ikea to make a large rug. We are also considering the more expensive option of the Stockholm rug, again putting together 4 of them to make a large one.

    Would a very rug made out of 4 rugs work in this room, or would that be too big? Any other suggestions?
  • 11 years ago

    The Stockholm rug should be available in different sizes, one of which is close to 8'x10'. Is that too small?

  • 11 years ago

    You've got a minimalist look going here. Skip the rug. Easier to clean and less troublesome all the way around. Put that money toward a knockout piece of art or sculpture.


  • 11 years ago

    Artifacts from Papua New Guinea, a piece of framed aboriginal art, a Chulucanas pot: patinaed with age, simple forms finely detailed with the maker's hand evident in every curve and line. These give rise to imagination in a way no rug or chair or chandelier can. It's why I'd buy the cheap, yet well designed Maskros, and put the extra pennies toward building a commanding wall.


  • 11 years ago
    Does this rug work? We liked Groveraxle's idea of skipping a rug, but the room is big with a high ceiling of 3 meters and sounds very hollow! The rug can go back if necessary but very difficult to find affordable rugs this size.
  • 11 years ago

    The rug is OK. How about something plain in jute or sisal instead? A little plainer, more minimal.


    Kaleen Essential Area Rug, Natural, Herringbone, 04, 8'x10' · More Info


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I liked grover's delicate feathery light, which contrasts so nicely with a hefty table. Same with upper right photo of 'rough' table with smooth chair. :)

    Same thing somewhat with the new legs, which are very slender next to table's girder-legs. Because the rug has color/pattern, it a bit disguises all the leggies, do you know what I mean?

    [I'm glad you didn't buy thick "chrome" legs cause to me it would've been too much.]

  • 11 years ago

    it is true,in this size rugs are getting expensive!!you could try something called Carpetland or maybe Carpet right,if i remember correctly you can pick any carpet and then have it made to measure as a rug, cant remember i they advertise this service but its worth asking..


  • 11 years ago
    I agree, something more plain that will show off the chairs. I found this sisal rug online, I think the size is good : 220x320 cm (7′3″x10′6″ ft)
    Very affordable, I just hope it does not look cheap, hard to tell from the pictures. Or should I look for more natural color sisal? I don't want the rug to look yellow.
  • 11 years ago

    As I just looked again and noticed mirror frame, maybe that will 'show' better with less pattern in room. But I like the mix of your rug with table/chairs.

  • 11 years ago

    I like that sisal rug a lot. Sisal and jute and seagrass and other natural materials pretty much are what they are. They don't look cheap, but usually look a bit rustic.

    Before ordering that rug, I would look locally and see what is available that you can actually see and touch. Then, if finding nothing, see if you can order a sample first. Returning a sample is way easier than returning a rug.

  • 11 years ago
    I'm not a fan of the Barcelona dining chair. it is too bulky. Stick to a more minimalist dining like the Eames chair.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Designers Fountain 83086-SP Chandelier In Satin Platinum · More Info

    Hinkley Lighting Midtown Transitional Chandelier, Brushed Nickel · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Designers Fountain 83089-SP Chandelier In Satin Platinum · More Info

    Jorgenson 4 Light Chandelier In Mahogany And Satin Brass · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    You already have chairs, why buy others? Spend your money on something else? Pick your rug(s) when you are walking around and you see one that you really like.

  • 11 years ago

    You don't need new ones?

  • 11 years ago
    Hi, about the chairs, we just bought the chairs shown in the pictures posted on Tuesday. They are a variation of the Eames chair. This model is "roomier" and more comfortable to sit on, especially for tall Dutch people like hubby!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Twocats, I think you've made some very good choices. Really like the chairs....they look great with your table. Also really like the rug you posted yesterday a lot.....the "less" neutral one. Hope you decide to keep that one. IMO it adds just the right touch to your space. Good job!

  • 11 years ago
    Hello all, quick update, the rug went back to the store. I won't be home before the end of the month, I guess I can just pick up this discussion where we left it, or do I ned to start a new one?
  • 11 years ago

    Shakuff, many thanks for your suggestions. I was very busy elsewhere and have not looked at Houzz in a long time! I like your suggestions for light above the table. I think we need something that has a lot of "presence", not sure what else to call it. I will be back in Amsterdam first week of September, will post pictures of lamps we like and that do not cost an arm and a leg!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Pleasure! Enjoy!