Software
Houzz Logo Print
hamblintiffany

Distract from ugly tile floors

11 years ago
We are currently renovating a house we inherited and I detest the flooring in the finished basement. But for budget reasons we have decided it stays for now. The room needs brightening up so i want to paint the walls lighter but I'm torn what will go ok with the floor. The upstairs main color is SW mindful gray but not certain how a greige would look with this tile. The windows and doors are currently being replaced and will be white as well as the trim. This room will mostly be used as a hang out area for our preteen aged kids. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments (18)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Can’t see a problem with greige to neutraliize the space and maybe a big shag rug in gray to just hide some of it.

  • 11 years ago

    Look for a wall color that will lighten the ceiling and walls - with this tile test sw greek villa - it is an off white in the greige direction that will help the house flow and work with the tile

    https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7016/#/7551/?s=similarColors&p=PS0

    I agree that a very large ikea rug is a good way to start here . . I suggest a mid tone gray that isn't at all blue . . the brick and the tile do work together color wise, so why not use some orange if this is a teen hangout. A few terracotta elements (look for some art with orange and brick tones in it, plus add some fun pillows in these tones) with neutral furniture and some charcoal or black painted furniture will help it all look terrific.


  • 11 years ago

    Your tile has some very light apricot coloring in the body of it so I'd go with that. I have a linoleum in my bathroom that has some of those colors that I used a light apricot for and it looks wonderful. It's warm and uplifting.


    Humble Gold · More Info


  • 11 years ago
    You already have a brick fireplace and 3/4 colors in the tile. You really shouldn't add another neutral unless you find a patterned element that uses the new neutral in combination with the existing ones. Since the floor is patterned already that could be quite busy. Instead I'd take a fan deck and match the colors in the floor. Pick your favorite for the walls.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Have you consulted with the preteens as to how they will use the room and or what they have that will be going in there?

    I quite like the tile although it looks to be a lot but once you have painted your walls (I would go WHITE WALLS), place furniture and use cotton washable solid and striped throw mats and area rugs, I think it will fade to a more nuetral ground and be easy to clean and change with a nuetral canvas of a room.

    • What about a Greek color scheme then...? White walls and use watery blues and greeny blues to cobalts (furniture and mats, drapes add some pattern or stripes) and blue's complimentary colour oranges & browns (your tiles, wooden tables, picture frames, cushions drapes).
    • Remember verticle lines ie tall book cases, floor to ceiling drapes, and art work on walls all draw the eye up and away from the floor.
    • If you don't want Greek research Frida Kahlo's homes and art work & consider colour blocking walls different rich brilliant colours using metal accessories etc. your floor would become quite nuetral again using some mats and area rugs.
  • 11 years ago
    Have you considered putting linoleum over what you have? Anyway.... Ignore floor. Cover it with some area rugs. Decorate space for kids. White walls and they won't know the difference.
  • 11 years ago

    Do what others have said re rugs and paint. You'll adjust and may even appreciate it since it'll be used by boys.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I'm with the "ignore the floor" and paint walls. A taupe (very light) that you find in the tile itself will work very well here. Enough colour difference to let the white trim/doors stand out but not much more than that.

    Decorate to conceal! Big pieces (large area rug, big slouchy sofa, bit coffee table, big wall unit) will take up plenty of "floor". Before you know it the place will be crawling with teens and NO ONE will care about the floor (until you lose a few glasses to the tiles). The floor is extremely durable. It would be considered "appropriate" for "who cares" teens.

    Once they have vacated (fast forward 10 years) you can take the time and the effort to remodel to a more desirable floor. Until then, you have the perfect "teen proof" floor in place...even if it is unsightly.


  • 11 years ago
    I like the idea of a Greek color scheme. Pops of blue and orange could look cool. We are starting from scratch with furniture for this room so we can go in whatever direction. It is quite a lot of tile, it's about a 900 sq ft basement but I think you guys are right once I get rugs and furniture in it won't be as noticeable. Going to test white and a taupe color on the wall and go from there. To be continued... Thanks all for your help.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Good luck! We always love updates...and yes, 900 sf of THAT tile would make me want to remove it as well ;-) I think you will be happy you saved some money and let the kids have that floor! You can really have fun with your furniture budget with the $6K you just saved!


  • 11 years ago

    I think you're going in the right direction. I'd do white seating; Flokati rug; colorful tables and accessories. Have fun!

    .

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Aside from other brightening, are you thinking of washing/painting the brick to be lighter? Here's interesting tile for an idea:

    Sample of 6X24 Grooved Walnut Travertine Tile · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    You can paint the floor and it will be ok for awhile til you can replace it.
  • 11 years ago
    Neutral light color for the walls to make it feel bigger and airy. Once you pick out furniture make sure it is solid colors no patterns floor is too busy. Throw rug should be solid color also and this will take a lot of attention off that floor.
  • 11 years ago
    How about having the wall red orange, and accent colors could be blue green and blue.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Since the floor is staying, it is dictating a cultural influence and the color direction. Patterns and textures will bring it to life. Look at Benjamin Moore Early Sunset 2096-70 or Vintage Taupe 2110-70 for a light color or darker and dramatic Newburyport Blue HC -155 or Hudson Bay 1680 for the walls. I would stay with a color scheme of cognac and navy with patterns. If you go with Newburyport Blue, I would paint the brick White dove OC17. With teenagers, stay with a contemporary mix. Go with a white shag like rug or white textured. It will take the room from sort of "Grandma" to a "compelling contemporary".