Software
Houzz Logo Print
frank_hurdle

IKEA kitchen base cabinets for the bathroom

11 years ago

We just had a terrible water leak and had to rip out our shower. It was one of those terrible insert showers, so in some ways it was cause for celebration. We found some clearance tile for a dollar a foot (that we really like) and just decided to pretty much gut the bathroom and replace everything.

Our current bathroom cabinets aren't that bad, but they are short and there is a 24" gap, because apparently the builder's mother or grandmother used one of those makeup chairs and he wasn't aware that no one uses one any more. Meanwhile, our countertop is stacked with stuff because we don't have enough storage space.

Anyway, we're thinking about getting IKEA kitchen base cabinets for our bathroom. They are three inches deeper, which we like, and they are taller, which we like. I see that the IKEA cabinets come with legs. Do we hide these with a toekick?

Can I install these myself? If I went out to Lowe's and just bought some base cabinets I would just get a level and a drill and screw them into the wall. Will the IKEA cabinets be this easy after the hassle of putting them together? Also, is there a problem with putting granite on top of the IKEA cabinets? Are they strong enough to support it?

I might add that we are looking at IKEA to save money, but also because we like the looks of a couple of the styles. We have a traditional, plantation-style house, but our bathroom is going to be a bit more modern, with dark tile and white cabinets, with a cheap-but-we-like-it granite from Lowe's for $32 a foot. I kind of like the Grimslöv off-white fronts, but my wife will decide on that.

Thanks for any pointers!


Comments (4)