Software
Houzz Logo Print
sjb2814

Anyone ever used bound edge wall-to-wall carpet as an area rug?

11 years ago

We have a very large bedroom and an even larger great room in our new place and I was wondering if the answer to finding the right size rug for atop our hardwood floors could be to find a subtly patterned wall-to-wall carpet and just binding the edges to meet our needs. Has anyone done this? Does it look low-end? Actually got the inspiration from the new Restoration Hardware catalogs, where a lot of the area rugs are very neutral with subtle patterns. Don't want to make a beautiful room look "less" -- but finding it really hard to find large, subtle floor rugs.

Thanks for any help (including "oh please don't" type comments, if needed).

Comments (15)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    There is nothing wrong about that idea at all. I have done it in the past and the binding matched the carpet so nicely, it look beautiful. Mine was a very light off white with an engraved pattern. Once you get furnishings in and everything no one is even going to look at the edge of the carpet. I say go for it. Especially if you found just the right color and pattern.

    S Bailey thanked Mark
  • 11 years ago

    Carpeting stores do this all the time. We had extra from carpeting our stairs (the installer added too big an "oops" amount) as we had paid for it, they put a binding on for free and we had a small area rug.

    S Bailey thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    Yes I have done that many times. Having two dogs and a cat they tend to get dirty easily. I would shampoo them couple times a year then after 3-4 years I would ditch them and purchase another.
    S Bailey thanked Tina
  • 11 years ago

    Me, too. make sure you get good carpeting from a reputable dealer. Mine has worked out great

    S Bailey thanked jck910
  • 11 years ago

    I've seen it done well. I've also seen designers use two matching area rugs in a large room, especially if there are two zones of furniture.

    Contemporary Beach Home · More Info


    Living Room · More Info


    S Bailey thanked Bette P
  • 11 years ago
    oh please do!
    I never have, and we've removed our carpets and replaced with tiles and area rugs. This was particularly for hygiene reasns.
    doing what you suggrst is the solution to the carpet-hygiene dilemma.
    S Bailey thanked Najeebah
  • 11 years ago

    yes we did this in our dining room, as a floor heating register made us need a narrower rectangle than is usual in order to get the right length. you can also have matching borders sewn on the rug and no one would ever look at it and think low end.

    S Bailey thanked Judy Mishkin
  • 8 years ago

    We had an area rug made from wall-to-wall carpeting b/c we needed a special size. Like you, we wanted a subtle look that blended in with the floor and not a room feature. Our local flooring store did a great job for us and i’d do the same thing again.

  • 8 years ago

    There's a store near me that makes custom area rugs from carpeting, they are beautiful. I bought a premade plain one there and it has held up great. I even took it outside and pressure washed it when it got flooded with aquarium water a couple years ago, dried out fine.

  • 8 years ago
    I did that for this room and I love it! I looked everywhere for an area rug, but they were all too wild, too much print for what I was looking for. This came from a local flooring/ carpet store. Can also get runners to match, for the hallway, if desired.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Half a century ago, my parents were posted to different locations into company-owned homes about every 3 years and that's exactly what they did. The carpets travelled along and as they went from one house to the next, the carpets would be cut down for smaller room sizes until eventually they were tossed out and a replacement carpet purchased.

  • 8 years ago

    Had this done and when the rug came in too large they cut an re-bound it right in the room. Was very interesting to watch.


  • 8 years ago

    My parents have done this for hall runners and it looked great. My sister had it done at a high-end carpet place and it looked terrible. Very wide binding was poorly applied so that it curled and wrinkled. (She did not accept it.) So be sure you review the binding size and see a samples of their work.

  • 8 years ago

    Yep. This is my fave tip. I have found remnants for cheap that I even trimmed and glue-gunned (gasp) that worked perfectly fine.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting