Software
Houzz Logo Print
peejay

OMG, have I gone too far?

11 years ago

I just started painting the exterior of my fixer upper house. My intention was to match the darker part of the rock. I'm afraid it's too dark? I'm doing this work myself, and wonder should I stop here and change to a shade or two lighter, or keep on painting?

Comments (33)

  • 11 years ago

    The light in the picture isn't good enough to be able to see what you're talking about.

    If you think it's too dark, go two shades lighter.

    Pamela Field thanked hayleydaniels
  • 11 years ago
    Would need a larger picture.
    Pamela Field thanked Laurie Hutch
  • 11 years ago

    I think that it looks great...keep going!

    Pamela Field thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • 11 years ago

    *sigh* two shades is what I was thinking too. ugh! I hate to start over, but it's going to be there for a heckova long time after it's done.
    Ihutch13, it's the largest pic they would let me post?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    take a larger perspective photo by standing back further. from this angle I think it looks great...but need more perspective


    Pamela Field thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    A picture from farther back may help. I think it looks great in this pic.

    Pamela Field thanked Lindsay K
  • 11 years ago

    Peejay, from what I can see in your pic, that color looks pretty darned good! It's earthy like the stone, and not trying to be the star. Nice color. But yeah, a pic taken while standing farther away would be good, too.


    Pamela Field thanked heartlander
  • 11 years ago

    ok.. standing back further. Is this better?


  • 11 years ago

    btw, this is SW Foothills paint

  • 11 years ago

    I like it!! :0)

    Pamela Field thanked bungalowmo
  • 11 years ago
    I would go lighter.
    Pamela Field thanked sassytricia
  • 11 years ago
    I think it looks good too. It maybe look darker there because it's under an overhang, but I presume all the exterior isn't like that. If you go lighter, if there are areas that get direct sunlight, it might look too white. You could consider painting the ceiling of the overhang a bright but light blue, like a sky on a sunny day.
    Pamela Field thanked MarleneM
  • 11 years ago

    I would go lighter, too. And I'd also declutter the porch.


    Pamela Field thanked groveraxle
  • 11 years ago

    I know it's pretty busy right now with all the plants, right? :P


  • 11 years ago

    OK, confirmed by more distant picture. I like it a lot with the stone. Is that some white-ish siding or trim above the stone?


  • 11 years ago

    Heartlander, it's where I haven't painted yet. ;)

  • 11 years ago

    When you said, "Is this too much?", I thought you meant all the things on the porch!

    Pamela Field thanked pcmom1
  • 11 years ago
    I like it.
  • 11 years ago

    Colour is great. Decorations need to be purged. Try: 2 chairs, table, rug, mirror, two pots with plants or flowers, something smaller on door. Your one favorite thing hung above the chair closest to the door. Can't see beyond the left-side fern. If that is a sofa with cushions under the mirror, it is most likely a good addition. Remember, KISS: Keep It Simple Sweetie!

    Pamela Field thanked kaywestmaas
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks so much kaywestmaas! I know there's a lot going on this time of year, and I promise, it's not usually this busy. It's mostly the plants everywhere, like under the mirror is a planter full of caladiums and impatiens.
    Problem is, at my house it's not the kitchen that is the gathering place, it's my porch were friends and neighbors stop by to visit. Seating for two is not enough to accommodate the activities there several evenings a week.

  • 11 years ago

    Sometimes it takes a while for the shock to wear off to like it... That happened when I painted a bath "butter" for a yellow/white/blue look.. In the living room I played it safe and split between BM 170-171 and I think darker would have been fine... If you have an opportunity to live with it a while before continuing... go for it -- it looks fine like that, but if you continue to second guess, then you'll probably feel more comfortable lighter... If you don't want to pause that long.. then no hard in buying a quart lighter and trying it to see which you like better. It's all about what you're comfortable with

    Pamela Field thanked kgoodson1
  • 11 years ago

    I think if you go two shades lighter it might look too much like the siding you haven't painted yet. It will look lighter on the siding more exposed to the sunlight. BTW, I think you porch looks like a very inviting place for a visit. Like a secret garden, lots to look at.

    Pamela Field thanked Lila
  • 11 years ago
    I like it!
    Pamela Field thanked shars55
  • 11 years ago

    I like the color too...would go back and repaint the porch ceiling two shades lighter, though....that will lighten it up a great deal.

    Pamela Field thanked Dirt Digger
  • 11 years ago

    Yes, that color with a lighter ceiling should do it!

    Pamela Field thanked pcmom1
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Nothing wrong with the paint, just lighten the ceiling with a delicate blue, leaning more toward the silvery shade of that plant in the foreground by the pedestal. I actually think I'd stain the concrete floor - that's a bigger issue to me. You could cover more of it with a larger rug. Most of the furniture looks to be uncomfortable. Care to soften things up a bit and eliminate so many items? The eye doesn't know where to land.

    Pamela Field thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 11 years ago
    I think it looks terrific. Very earthy and perfect with the stone. Enjoy your plants and your company. Good luck! :)
    Pamela Field thanked zazfuzzroc
  • 11 years ago

    If you are trying to seat plenty of people, then I would try removing the two metal chairs and the table with the cherub in favor of something more couch/padded-bench like on that wall. That would provide a simpler look and also add some seating. I also see a lamp(?) on the cherub table, which makes me wonder if you need better lighting out there.

    Pamela Field thanked Alison
  • 11 years ago

    Yes, to better lighting and I have a new porch light on order. :D

  • 11 years ago

    Since you entertain here, go for more of an interior room look. It doesn't have to look so much like a porch, but more like a sitting room. Try some curtains that can be drawn against sunny glare or evening mosquitoes. Don't forget to add some bright colors and patterns!

    Showcase 2011 - Artist's Retreat · More Info


    Trailside: Picturesque Porch · More Info


    Pamela Field thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 11 years ago

    I love that! Yes, I need to work toward something like that!