Software
Houzz Logo Print
edenviolet

What to do after soap burn?

11 years ago

Last week I sprayed my foxglove with dish soap to control aphids, now all the flowers fell off, many of the leaves are limp and lifeless, while some are still OK. Should I cut off the limp leaves and flower stems? What will happen next? The aphids are still happy and well.

Comments (4)

  • 11 years ago

    I'd be tempted to cut it back to the ground, but I'd like to see pictures first. Aphids can be knocked off with strongish sprays of plain water from the hose or you can simply squish them with your fingers. They're very fragile and they don't run away.......squish them!

    Secondly, if you must use a soap, I strongly suggest that you invest in the proper stuff for the job. Commercial insecticidal soap is more effective than dish soap as well as much less likely to cause damage to our plants.

    Thirdly, even the commercial insecticidal soap can cause damage if it's applied to a sensitive plant, or in the blazing sun on a hot day, or without following the mixing and application directions.

    Aven Dürer thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Thank you Rhizo, I really appreciate your detailed advice! I am only a beginner. After this happened, I bought a Schultz insecticidal soap and used it on a clover, but it also got burned. Let me try and find some photos.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    "Dish soap", a soap or a detergent? Detergents are not very effective insecticides and can cause other plant problems as well. Detergents can be labeled as soap so a close look at the ingredients is necessary.

    When was this soap sprayed? Plants sprayed with these products when there is sun shinning on them can be harmed.

    The best method of controlling Aphids on plants is simply a sharp stream of water that knocks the wee buggers off the plant. This will need to be repeated, probably about every 5 days or so, because the next generation of Aphids will move in to the vacancy.

    Keep in mind that Aphids are attracted to plants growing in soils with too much Nitrogen which promotes lush, green growth in plants.

    kimmq is kimmsr

    Aven Dürer thanked kimmq
  • 11 years ago

    yeah.. life was a lot simpler when it was called dish detergent ... then no one confused it with soap ...

    i like the hint of never spraying anything in sun ...

    ken


    Aven Dürer thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5