meganmpeterson

Found scratches on new Quartz counter

meganmpeterson
Help I'm completely beside myself.... We had brand-new quartz countertops installed four days ago. As I've been putting the kitchen back together I clean them with water and paper towels and noticed some scratches. I thought courts was virtually scratch resistant. Anyone else seen something like this? Would you consider this a defect from the manufacturer? Or could it possibly have been scratch that quickly? We've barely used the countertop so I can't imagine how it could get scratched that easily and if it did, then it's going to get completely scratched once we have normal wear and tear. The only other thing I can think of is that the tile sub contractor scratched whole putting in the backsplash.

Thanks.

• Ingrid Goenaga Gonzalez
    I have the same issue and supposedly Pompeii is a high grade ; scratches everywhere, some where my nail bumps into it ! Help
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

They'll do nothing--I've resigned myself and just live with it. And never recommend or get it again.

Quartz counter tops verses Granite...which is better?

The are both very good and similar pricing. Granite requires annual sealing or so to avoid stains. Quartz does not require maintenance. If you want a lot of movement, granite is the choice. If you want more of a solid or more uniform design, quartz is the way to go. I have quartz (black galaxy) and love it. We've had the quartz 6 years now I think and it looks like new still. I think it's indestructible! But, granite isn't a wrong choice and is surely beautiful in most cases.

QUARTZ COUNTER TOPS

We have quartz in our kitchen and love it! We put stuff on the counter straight from the microwave and no problems. We do use trivets when taking pans out from the stove or oven, or we place it on the stove top area instead. We've cut food on the counter and there's no chipping or scratching. There's also no need to seal like you do with granite. Granite has too much movement and we liked the variety of colors and simpler, clean look of quartz. We're even thinking of replacing all our bathroom counters with quartz someday.

Butcher block VS quartz counter tops in kitchens

Quartz is very easy to maintain and keep looking new. My grandmother's are 10 years old now and used every day, but they look new. Wood will look new for about two days, and then it will start developing a patina of nicks and stains (sometimes called looking old). My designer literally did not get a picture of the wood counters before they had stains, and we were being very careful. But I wanted them to look 100 years old, so that's fine with me. If your daughter sees old, well used cutting boards and thinks they're beautiful, then it's a great surface. If she thinks they look dirty, they're a terrible choice. I'm really glad I went with wood in most of the kitchen (with tile in a wet area around the sink). It's so warm and has such personality. It's easy to work on and easy to clean (if you ignore the mild staining). I keep a couple of trivets by the stove so burning has not been an issue. And if I do mess them up, I can always sand it down. They last a long time, too (as in 100 years easily).

choosing granite counter tops or quartz

Your selection of granite is quite beautiful, but from experience our clients lean more towards Quartz. Quartz counter tops are more durable compared to granite counter tops. They require less maintenance and unlike granite, quartz doesn't require sealing. Because Quartz counter tops are man made the color of the counter top stay consistent all through out. It really is up to you. Granite is beautiful and unique, but if you decide to go with granite be prepared for the little extra maintenance.
  • Chessie

"I have the same issue and supposedly Pompeii is a high grade ; scratches everywhere"

Again - there is no "high grade" quartz. You were misled if you were told that.

• hiccup4

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC-

What would you recommend instead of quartz please? What do you specify?

• docsmom201

Wow! I am surprised to read all the negative comments about quartz!! I've had it in my kitchen for 10 years and have had no problems! I liked it so much I am having quartz counter tops put in our master bath at our second home. Hope I don't regret it!

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

My favorite counter top is honed Virginia Mist (aka Jet Mist) granite. It's black with faint white swirls and doesn't stain, etch or chip. If you like dark counter tops, this is fantastic! However, I'm sure there are some who disagree with me. Every counter top material has its pros and cons, and you have to be aware of them before you buy, and make sure you can live with the cons. Paying top dollar for something that is marketed as bullet proof is very frustrating when you find out it has its flaws.

• vikki

wow ! It's really helped reading all of these comments! I had my grey quartz worktop installed 4 weeks ago - I swear I checked it so didn't see any marks and then this week as if by magic i have found a pretty bad scratch! I'm so confused as I have no idea how it happened!

My worktop was supplied via a kitchen shop who have said we need to call someone out to fix it! and the quote is £180! not happy to pay for that myself so soon after buying it! but also so odd as I am sure it came perfect... how did I miss this scratch!

Its right next to a draining grove... could just putting some cups and dishes there have done this? I use the dishwasher more anyway but surely I should be able to wash up without causing damage??

• Erica Gustavson

I am so sorry! But if you can have it fixed then do it! I haven’t talked to anyobe who has said they can fix it. My entire countertop is now covered in scratches, so what you can do to not make it any worse. I was told cosmos went through a really poor quality time period which is when I bought mine.

• vikki

@erica thanks! yeah I think we are going to pay the £180 to get it fixed the company that do the fixes seem confident they can fix it. Just really confused how it happened!

• Cece
    I too am pretty shocked by all the people with problems with their quartz. I have had LG Viatera countertops for 3 years now and they look absolutely perfect. Have dropped quite a few things on them and scraped things across them I’m sure, and no chips, scratches, etc. So sorry for those of you having difficulties! Quartz has been a great product for me.
  • coco

I applied, with a cotton ball, Garnier's Micellar Cleansing Water All-in-1 Waterproof on the dark surface marks (the cause of the marks unknown) found along the edge (sink area) of my Caesarstone Calcutta Nuovo kitchen countertop. It removed the marks easily.

(FYI: In my case, mild soapy water was minimally effective. I did not try any of the other previously suggested methods.)

• Sharron White
    I had black quartz with little white sprinkles installed in my new kitchen and I have been extremely disappointed in them. they are only 14 months old and look 40 yrs old!! I called our rep who came out to see all the scratches and he was shocked by them he did have his guys use a electric sander and buffer qnd some kind of cream on them. They looked better not great. Suggested I put a rubbing compound on them if any more problems, and to make sure to go in a circular motion. This kitchen was taken down to the bare studs and was personally designed by, and for me. I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in my hands and wrist so I wanted a easy low maintenance kitchen. Never have I regretted a selection so much. I don't know if I should call the rep to tell him the counters are awful again or not.
  • connerhm

Sharron, we had problems with our dark gray (essentially solid) counter and, after multiple attempts by the fabricator to "fix" the problem, they admitted it was a defective top coat. I think the top coat is put on by the fabricator (not sure if that's 100% right or not) and if it isn't done right then the counter is susceptible to all sorts of scratches, marks, and stains. Unfortunately, we had no way of knowing it was defective until all these uncharacteristic hazes and odd marks appeared. After 4 months of trying different things that didn't work, the fabricator filed a warranty claim with Silestone and they replaced the whole counter. I'm telling you all of this because maybe that's what you might be dealing with...a defective top coat? If you've got Silestone that's well within the warranty period (25 yrs) and they need to fix it for you. Also, even though we have the new counter now we were told after the fact that the dark colors are problematic and will show every mark and imperfection. Before replacing the counter they gave us the option to change colors to avoid this problem. Maybe that would help you...? I'm so sorry you're dealing with this and know the frustration and disappointment you're feeling. I hope that it gets resolved quickly for you.

• Chessie

connerhm" I think the top coat is put on by the fabricator (not sure if that's 100% right or not)"

I've never heard of a "top coat". My LG slab looks EXACTLY like it did in the shop when I viewed it. If your fabricator also applied a sealer, then that would be after the install.

ALL quartz slabs are composed of quartz, and a resin binder. The resin is what you see as far as the smooth finish. It is certainly not impossible to scratch or chip, no quartz slab is immune from that. I have read that the "concrete styles" will show more smudging than others, but I've never heard of a particular one that is more susceptible to scratching. I will say that given the relatively newness of this product, I do think there was an awful lot of media blitz and incorrect descriptions bandied about. It certainly is not a "bulletproof" material, and no fabricator or salesperson should ever present it as such.

• wilson853

Quartz should not have a sealer applied, as stated in the LG warranty. I am afraid that there are fabricators that still do not know this, and blame their error on the manufacturer, and that is why consumers sometimes end up with a hazy mess on their counters. Before going forward with any quartz product, I would ask to see their Fabrication Guide and ask a lot of questions.

http://www.lgviaterausa.com/content/com.LG.file_depot.FileDepotFile/76/VT_Fabrication_Guide_2012(1).pdf

• connerhm

We'd never heard of it either. Our fabricator did try to put an enhancer on the white spots and all it did was make it sticky and dark. Ruined the whole counter. That's when they filed a warranty claim. Our new counter is fine but in all honesty I wish I never heard the word 'quartz' and will never recommend it to anyone.

• Chessie

Sounds like your fabricator was incompetent. Since they are certified by each quartz company, their mistakes should always be addressed by the company. Glad that was your experience. My quartz counters are beautiful and I am quite happy with them.

• connerhm

I was so upset that I called Silestone and reported what we were being told. In their defense, they seemed alarmed and wanted to send a rep out 'right away'. We scheduled a visit later that week and the rep never showed. When I called to ask where they were I was told by Silestone that they will find out and call me back immediately. I'm still waiting on that call. LOL. The whole experience was a train wreck.

• Chessie

That sucks. :-( You are in the minority though (although I know that does not make you feel better!) as most of the quartz installs do go well and most folks are very pleased with the product.
    I'm really sorry you had such a terrible experience.

last year

Try Cambria. All made in America and mine are durable and look beautiful. Mix of many colors it was called New Quay.

• Carol Haavisto
    last year

Our Cosentino Silestone Pulsar quartz countertops were installed this week. I want to use a set of white ceramic dishes for every day. The bottoms of the plates and bowls, the ring that touches down, is not glazed, as is normal. I am worried the dishes will scratch the counter tops and wonder if I should use them. I was able to scratch my sample quartz by tipping one of these cups and rubbing the bottom hard against the quartz. Does anyone use ceramic dishes with quartz? What do you use that doesn't scratch? Or is there a sealant I can apply to the bottoms of these dishes (must be dishwasher safe, obviously) that will protect my countertops?

• connerhm
    last year
    last modified: last year

I wouldn't ever use them without placemats. We have Silestone Marengo---dark gray--- and were told by the fabricator to use trivets and placemats for EVERYTHING. Unfortunately this material isn't as durable as the manufacturer wants us to think. Don't know if lighter colors won't show the scratches as much but I wouldn't chance it. We've never had a scratch (fingers crossed) but we always use the placemats underneath. I hope this helps.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

Gee, while I do not abuse my counter tops (or anything else in my home), I also don't baby them. I have Caesarstone in the Raven color (dark gray) in my vacation rental home, and it does have scratches and chips, especially around the sink. It also has watermarks from dishes drying in the drainboard. I've given up getting upset about it. As connerhm stated, quartz isn't as durable as the advertising would like you to believe. Actually nothing is--everything degrades over time; nothing is "bulletproof."

So my advice is to use your kitchen with care, but don't stress over every little scratch, dent and ding. It's going to happen, so relax. Putting a sealer on the bottom of your plates seems a bit of an overreaction. Reminds me of the poster here on Houzz that covered her marble counter tops with plastic :(

• Diane Sacchetti
    last year

MCG G910, from what I can see of your kitchen, it's very pretty and is similar to what I want for my kitchen. Can you tell me the brand of your quartz countertop and color? Also, how is it holding up? I'm so confused after reading this thread. I love marble but was staying away from it due to scratching, staining and etching. I had planned on using quartz but now I'm concerned about that too. I have not found a granite that I really like otherwise I would go with that.

• Kevin Vine

hi all

my wife the hairdresser has put tin foil on my quarts work top and has left metal marks, I’ve tried acetone which does nothing, I’ve also tried baking soda and no joy with that plz help before I divorce her :-)

Joseph Corlett, LLC

Goof Off, Soft Scrub with Bleach, water and a buff pad on low RPM.

• drsaj

Kevin, as Joseph suggested, try the SoftScrub with Bleach, but make sure you shake the bottle first, then apply it to a damp rag and not directly to the counter. Then rub the SoftScrub into the rag slightly before you lightly rub the marks on the counter. The marks should come off with light, repetitive pressure.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

What is a "buff pad"? Would that take off water marks?

• CEM TOSA

I'm floored by this thread! I wish the scratch people would have specified the brand of the product they had installed so we know if we are talking off shore (China) quartz or USA quartz. This is disheartening as I am planning a new build and thinking of quartz. I currently have uba tuba granite and it is like living with glass countertops....I'm constantly cleaning them and one use and they are streaked. Ugh.

• nnej1211

I just got MSI cashmere Carrara and have a ton of issues, they are being replaced but I’m really worried even the replacement will have the same issues. Inconsistent polished finish, looks cloudy across the island; several chips and a rusty hole on the top of the island; several scratches. Really disappointing.

Joseph Corlett, LLC

Insist on inspecting your slabs before replacement. Take pictures so you know the slabs delivered are the approved slabs. If they don't allow inspection, demand a refund. Don't fall for the "no customers in the warehouse insurance regulations" crap please.

• nnej1211

Thank you @Joseph Corlett, LLC. We will definitely inspect them. I also noticed that they scratch very easily, just from a dish for example. Is that normal with MSI Q quartz? I’m more concerned that we will forever have issue with what we selected. I thought it was a good brand!

Joseph Corlett, LLC

All engineered stone is pretty much the same, no matter what the manufacturers would have you believe.

• Katie

Hi. Just wanted to chime in - we have a large island and lots of natural light, which is great - wouldn’t want it any other way. But I see every little streak on the quartz - I am constantly wiping it down with a wet paper towel. It’s disappointing bc I feel like it shouldn’t leave so many marks - I am not rubbing greasy or hard objects on the quart. Ugh. As for stains, I use Bar Keepers Friend but I am very careful bc it seems like it strips a bit of the resin. So I have only used it once or twice for black stains.

Joseph Corlett, LLC

Katie: Try some Countertop Magic please.

• Katie

Thanks Joseph Corlett

• Chessie

"they scratch very easily, just from a dish for example. Is that normal with MSI Q quartz? "

Dishes certainly don't scratch my quartz. I think I would have to take a blade knife and pressing down, drag it across the counter to get a scratch. I do have a teeny chip (not even noticeable after my repair) where a cut crystal glass fell out of the cabinet onto the counter, but I have not one single scratch - and I have had my counters 2 1/2 years now.

• ramin mirbostany

Quartz is a scam, we installed quartz countertop recently and ever since it has been my nightmare. It immediately started to get stain and scratches which are very hard to get rid of them. We did not even use this kitchen and use our back kitchen and just do very careful use using pad and towels and it still get a couple of stain and scratch everyday. even an orchids flower dropped over night stained the quartz by the morning. I installed white quartz as a beauty, but now it affected the quality of my life, extra work, not using the kitchen, etc.

stay away from websites claiming quartz is superior and flawless, stay away from quartz, it doesn’t worth it. My countertop stains with every touch, and I tested many others at Home Depot and other stone shop on samples to see if mine was defected but all were the same damn thing.

i will have to replace this junk when I have some cash saved from my hard work.

• drsaj

Ramin, I also have white quartz counters. As for the staining (orchid, etc), Soft Scrub with Bleach does a great job. Just be sure to shake the bottle first and apply the Soft Scrub to a rag (not directly on counter) and gently rub until the stain comes out. Has worked every time for me, even on orchid stains.

• Chessie

ramin mirbostany I don't know what material you got, but it must be some cheapo knockoff. I have had quartz counters for 3 years now and have not had any kind of stain that could not easily be removed.

• ramin mirbostany

Chessie, my Quartz is not cheap, in fact I can’t afford to buy cheap and as far as I know cheap is meaningless in quartz as they have a couple dollars difference at least in my area.

regarding recommendation for scrubbing it with those solution even though is appreciated but please note the point of a countertop is it’s functionality which must sustain contact with dishes, pot, chopping over a board etc. I was not doing any of those and still get stain/scratch. as I said I tested many quartz at different places to educate myself about this artificial stone and they all showed some degree of this flaw. I have had many granite and even laminate countertop which all were superior to Quarz, infact, I have never seen stain or scratch on a granite.

After my research i don’t buy that idea that there Is good quartz vs bad quart. manufactured countertop are scam vs a natural stone which is work of nature.

• Chessie

ramin mirbostany I'm sorry, but if what you said was true, there is no way that quartz would have found its way to the top of the desired countertop list. Millions of very happy people have quartz counters and have none of the issues you say you do.

I tested as well, NO stains. I have NO scratching. Quite honestly you sound like a vendor for a competing product. Granite, quartzite, solid surface, and even laminate, all have their fans. It's silly to state that any one is "superior" to another. Each one has advantages and disadvantages. Pick the one that works for you.

• ramin mirbostany

Chessie

I have done more research, unfortunately I have done it after I had mine installed.

You said quartz found its way on top desired material. We all know new products find its way via extensive marketing to top and become a trend. people then buy it, examine it, suffer and then abandon it. There are hundreds of examples of products and materials were on trend but soon found their way in garbage. I doubt though if Quartz is number one on sale though.

2-Here is not the matter of pick “what is best for you”, I was cheated and already paid for a piece of junk by people who marketed for that, created a desire, brought up this idea that one should care for countertop like a piece of fragile glass and rub it all time, vs enjoying doing kitchen work over a countertop which is its primary function. We were all cheated and some big companies, marketers and web article writers have made money on that.

• Chessie

Well, I don't treat mine like it's made of glass. Not sure what you wound up with, but it is certainly not anything like what I have. Or what my sister has for that matter. She's had her quartz counters for 2 years, and she is just as happy as I am.

• jonellyjojo

We just moved in to a new, custom-built home and have Silestone Calacatta Gold in our kitchebn, and there are black scuff marks in a number of places that I cannot get out. We have been walking on eggshells around our countertops in the kitchen, being very careful not to slide anything. I've noticed that if a sauce pan rubs the edge of the sink it will leave a mark. My suspicion is that the black scuff marks are from metal or from buttons on a shirt, etc. We are a bit shocked given what we were told when picking this product. Magic Eraser didn't work. Alcohol didn't work. Windex didn't work. Norwex microfiber and polish cloths didn't work. We're extremely concerned now about long-term wear and disappointed that we have to live in our kitchen with such caution.

• Chessie

Metal marks are always going to happen. They are easily removed. This has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum.

• landscaping2014

MSI quartz is made in China, Tailand, India and it is the biggest scam ever. It is NOT durable whatsoever and it stains and scratches very easily just by placing cup of water or tea on the countertop. If you don't put trivet under a cup of tea - you will have a mark on your island. We had white MSI quartz made in China installed and the next day we had stains from water everywhere. We found scratches done by contractor by the sink and on the island. One week of very light use - we found at least 30 lighter stains all over the kitchen countertops and the island just by splashing WATER doing dishes. I read so many bad reviews on MSI, Cambria and Silestone and even Caesarstone quartz AFTER we installed them that we decided to have them removed and replaced them with light granite.

The top of the line Cambria and Silestone quartz have the same problems - people invested thousands of $$$ and they have stains, scratches and even chips too. There is not such thing on the market called MAINTENANCE FREE, STAIN FREE and SCRATCH FREE QUARTZ.. It is all marketing but reality is a different story. Save yourself many headaches and do NOT buy quartz. Get granite instead. Our new light granite looks beautiful and most importantly it is going to last more than 20 years like the old one we had before. Quartz is for display only NOT for daily use. . Granite you can seal once every 5 years with a solution that you wipe on, let it dry and you are done. With quartz you can NOT repair any scratches, stains, chips - it is a permanent damage. Every HONEST contractor and even quartz distributor will tell you that you can't repair quartz. You will have to live with the permanent stains, scratches and chips until you replace it with more durable and usable material like GRANITE. I hope this info helps...These photos show 3 days of use of MSI quartz countertops and island. Do NOT buy MSI quartz! Cambria and Silestone got very bad reviews too!

Joseph Corlett, LLC

Go dig some stone slurry out of your fabricator's pit. That'll do it.

• Chessie

I have water dripped all over my friggin' counters, ALL the time. Absolutely NO marks of ANY kind. Have your water checked, people!!! If you have hard water, yep, that means you will have a mineral residue. This will occur on ANY shiny hard surface, granite, quartz, marble. ALL of'em. GET A WATER FILTER. Problem fixed.