meganmpeterson

Found scratches on new Quartz counter

meganmpeterson
Help I'm completely beside myself.... We had brand-new quartz countertops installed four days ago. As I've been putting the kitchen back together I clean them with water and paper towels and noticed some scratches. I thought courts was virtually scratch resistant. Anyone else seen something like this? Would you consider this a defect from the manufacturer? Or could it possibly have been scratch that quickly? We've barely used the countertop so I can't imagine how it could get scratched that easily and if it did, then it's going to get completely scratched once we have normal wear and tear. The only other thing I can think of is that the tile sub contractor scratched whole putting in the backsplash.

Thanks.

Sophie Wheeler

Joe, maybe you can remove a top without removing the splash, but the vast majority of countertop guys out there cannot. See previous innumerable countertop complaint postings ad infinitum.

I just wanna know what you'd call ground up marble and resins? The only thing it's missing is the gel coat. Engineered marble? Labeling it quartz is just such a disservice to buyer's expectations. But, that's a marketer.

• jsvinsm
    I had a terrible experience with quartz as well. We installed new light gray quartz counters right before selling our house. We had moved out but a few drops of coffee were on the bottom of the coffee maker and the quartz stained. Unbelievable. Never again. We've never had a problem with granite.

QUARTZ COUNTER TOPS

We have quartz in our kitchen and love it! We put stuff on the counter straight from the microwave and no problems. We do use trivets when taking pans out from the stove or oven, or we place it on the stove top area instead. We've cut food on the counter and there's no chipping or scratching. There's also no need to seal like you do with granite. Granite has too much movement and we liked the variety of colors and simpler, clean look of quartz. We're even thinking of replacing all our bathroom counters with quartz someday.

What are the disadvantages of solid mocha quartz kitchen counter tops?

The benefits of quartz are that there is little to no maintenance. You will not have to seal them. They are basically indestructible. The only thing that could hurt/scratch it is another piece of quartz or a diamond. People will choose a quartz over a granite for two reasons: 1) They like that they don't have to seal 2) They like the consistency of a quartz. Since man interferes with the quartz making process, they become more uniformed. You won't have natural veins, or characteristics granite gives you. Some particular granite colors have sections that aren't naturally smooth. You can feel bumpyness when you run your hand over it, which can be harder to keep clean or rather "feel" clean. You will not have this problem with a quartz. We actually have a dark brown color quartz on display in our showroom. What's so great about quartz is you can get a counter top that is one color- looking like concrete or another product... WITHOUT that maintenance and cost.

HELP! Contractor installed scratched Quartz counter

Appreciate the support! I'll be reporting to the BBB. I've also reached out to a few local stone companies to get their opinions on whether in their professional view they believe the repair done by ACE Quartz was done within industry standard and represents quality workmanship. So far, they believe ACE should remedy the situation given their technician (who apparently had 27 years experience) did the damage. I don't believe what I was left with represents quality. ACE gave me a sample of what a repair would look like before they worked on repairing my counter. The sample did not have any holes or shrunken residue. I still have the sample with me. Wonder if there are means of consumer protection - have never had to deal with such an issue so more research required on my end. Any suggestions welcome. New counters don't deserve to have holes. Good luck on your counters!

choosing granite counter tops or quartz

Your selection of granite is quite beautiful, but from experience our clients lean more towards Quartz. Quartz counter tops are more durable compared to granite counter tops. They require less maintenance and unlike granite, quartz doesn't require sealing. Because Quartz counter tops are man made the color of the counter top stay consistent all through out. It really is up to you. Granite is beautiful and unique, but if you decide to go with granite be prepared for the little extra maintenance.
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

jsvinsm:

Google around for tricks to pull the stains from quartz; those should come out.

If I can get an etch out of quartz, you can get a coffee stain out. By the way, granite stains too. Corian doesn't.

When you get the stain out, hit it with this, please.

• R S
    Never knew there was a quartz sealer ... does it change the look of the quartz? Also, how is Wilsonart Quartz, any issues you know of?
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

R S:

Quartz sealer does make quartz look better. It seems to add shine and depth. Quartz is virtually all the same, Chinese included. Wilsonart gave us the notorious Solid Surface Veneer and the subsequent 10-year-class action lawsuit for fixing it and the notorious "blue glue" contact cement which just let go after several years. Two big flops from a 50-year-old company doesn't seem too bad, but their distributor wouldn't answer the phone when I called the other day, so I'm buying Formica who answered right away.

SSV. No cure.

Counters & Decor

Please be cautious in purchasing a quartz engineered stone (not quarzite) from a reputable "brand name" manufacturer. There are many off-shore (what I refer to as "no name" brand) products in the market that don't perform the way they should. My guess is that they aren't using 93% quartz or better because when I ask these manufacturers what the content is they won't tell me. Counters & Decor will not use any of those products for that reason. We stand behind the materials we put into people's homes and offices.

• Becky B

Hi-I'm new to this post. I was looking to see if anyone else had scratches in their brand new "quartz" countertop, and sure enough, I landed here! I don't know where these scratches came from. Tile guy had layers of paint tarps on the countertop, so I can't imagine that they came from him. I just wanted to let people know that "quartz" does scratch. The kitchen hasn't been used for cooking yet, so I can only assume (yes, it is an assumption) that it came that way, and I didn't notice it till now. Glad to hear that it should not scratch under normal everyday use.

Counters & Decor

These may be surface marks. If something metal, for example, gets dragged across the surface if may leave a mark. This is not a scratch; it is metal filings from what was dragged across the surface. Try using a plain (not coloured) toothpaste - gentle on tops or alternatively "Barkeepers Friend" (but don't use this regularly for cleaning).

Failing that, phone the company who installed the tops to see if they can come by to have a look.

• Becky B

Thank you so much for the advice! I will try it before I call the fabricator.

Joseph Corlett, LLC

I'd try acetone before BKF or anything abrasive.

• MCG G910

Well, I have brand new quartz counters and you all are making me panic a bit. Are lighter colors better or worse for hiding some of the things you've mentioned? I assume white is better (someone please just lie to me if you need to!). Mine are below.

Counters & Decor

You have a beautiful kitchen from what I can see in the small shot you have.

If you have a brand name product it shouldn't matter what colour you have they will be low maintenance and better than any product out there.

I have white myself - Silestone by Cosentino - and they have survived 4 teenage boys and their messes.

• Becky B

Mine are also white Silestone by Cosantino. I have had it for 4 weeks, and have not yet begun to cook in this kitchen. I am hoping the scratches were done by the fabricator by accident, and that they will come out.

Joseph Corlett, thank you for the suggestion. I will try acetone first to take out the scratches.

Joseph Corlett, LLC

I was suggesting acetone for removing metal marks first. Acetone won't remove scratches.

• Becky B

Thanks for the clarification!

• Stacy G

Quartz can superficial get scratches from stainless steel. Comes out with rubbing alcohol

Counters & Decor

Superficial “scratches”- yes. I have also used non coloured toothpaste as a mild abrasive.

It can happen when a large heavy pot is dragged across the surface leaving a dust trail of metal transfer marks. Why? Because quartz is tougher than the metal.

Joseph Corlett, LLC

Quartz may be tougher than the metal, but the resin bonding it together isn't.

• Erica Gustavson

I have Cosmos quartz and I have about 30 chips and scratches right now. I’ve had it three years and I’m extra careful when handling it. I’m so frustrated I could cry. The manufacture only said I shouldn’t have chosen a solid color.

Counters & Decor

I am not familiar with Cosmos quartz but the fabricator should have given you the heads up on any pros and cons of the product.

The answer the manufacturer gave was not very professional in my opinion. Do they have a warranty for Cosmos quartz? Usually you should be able to send them photos (keeping in mind that what they term as abuse will not be covered).

• wilson853

Erica, I brought home a sample today of Cosmos Venato Extra. Did you choose a dark or light quartz? What kind of edge do you have? Sorry for your trouble. It is very frustrating when you pay a huge amount of money and the product fails to perform as expected.

• Susan Davis

FYI I was using a big knife cutting on my daughters quartz island and i dropped it and it put a tiny chip in the quartz, so yes quartz can be damaged....you cannot see the tiny chip but you can feel it......i feel pretty sick about it but yeah things happen.

• ellen diamond

I am in the same position. My quartz countertops were installed about 10 days ago. There was so much grout on it from the new floor I had installed that I kept having to clean, that I didn't notice the places that were scratched. What worries me is they're more than just scratches -- the shiny finish is literally worn off. So when someone says they can buff that out, I can't imagine how buffing can restore the shiny finish! I thought quartz was consistent all the way thru - I was surprised but pleased to see the shiny finish. Today I must give the contractor my final "everything's OK" check. I don't like holding back a check, but ... I frankly don't know what to do!

Joseph Corlett, LLC

ellen:

You do the contractor no favors by NOT holding back his check. If he has to get the scratches out, or replace the tops, he'll never put them in again, believe me. Everyone pays tuition. I still do occasionally.

• connerhm

Beware of buying dark colored quartz. We purchased Silestone Marengo (dark gray) 4 months ago believing that it was the 'most durable surface with the least amount of maintenance' (what the sales person told us at a big box store). This isn't true. The material does scratch and any imperfections are extremely visible. The slightest imperfection will show and ESPECIALLY if you have a bright, well lit kitchen like we do. After months of reading and experiencing conflicting opinions on the quartz I finally asked the fabricator point-blank if quartz was the 'most durable with the least amount of maintenance' as we were told. After a pause he said, 'yes, as a general rule that's true. Yours is an exception because of the color.' He also told me there have been problems with this color in the past. Upset with this news, I called Cosetino direct (Silestone manufacturer) and they confirmed that this color will show every mark and imperfection and that as long as we were careful we 'should' be okay with normal day-to-day use. Ridiculous. My husband and I believed we were buying a sturdy, practically maintenance free counter when what we got is exactly the opposite. We set our plates down gently so that it doesn't scratch the surface. We use coasters to prevent rings. We wipe the entire sink/peninsula area down EVERY time it's used because if the water dries it forms hard water deposits that are quite difficult to remove and look horrible. (From water!!) It's beautiful... and a nightmare to own. Buyer beware.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

I and so many others have had the same experience with some e-stones. Mine is Caesarstone "Raven" color, and it has chips, scratches and discolorations. It amazes me that the misinformation and hype continues by the manufacturers, designers, and articles that claim it is "maintenance free" and superior to natural stones.

• Ingrid Goenaga Gonzalez
    I have the same issue and supposedly Pompeii is a high grade ; scratches everywhere, some where my nail bumps into it ! Help
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

They'll do nothing--I've resigned myself and just live with it. And never recommend or get it again.

• Chessie

"I have the same issue and supposedly Pompeii is a high grade ; scratches everywhere"

Again - there is no "high grade" quartz. You were misled if you were told that.

• hiccup4

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC-

What would you recommend instead of quartz please? What do you specify?

• docsmom201

Wow! I am surprised to read all the negative comments about quartz!! I've had it in my kitchen for 10 years and have had no problems! I liked it so much I am having quartz counter tops put in our master bath at our second home. Hope I don't regret it!

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

My favorite counter top is honed Virginia Mist (aka Jet Mist) granite. It's black with faint white swirls and doesn't stain, etch or chip. If you like dark counter tops, this is fantastic! However, I'm sure there are some who disagree with me. Every counter top material has its pros and cons, and you have to be aware of them before you buy, and make sure you can live with the cons. Paying top dollar for something that is marketed as bullet proof is very frustrating when you find out it has its flaws.

• vikki

wow ! It's really helped reading all of these comments! I had my grey quartz worktop installed 4 weeks ago - I swear I checked it so didn't see any marks and then this week as if by magic i have found a pretty bad scratch! I'm so confused as I have no idea how it happened!

My worktop was supplied via a kitchen shop who have said we need to call someone out to fix it! and the quote is £180! not happy to pay for that myself so soon after buying it! but also so odd as I am sure it came perfect... how did I miss this scratch!

Its right next to a draining grove... could just putting some cups and dishes there have done this? I use the dishwasher more anyway but surely I should be able to wash up without causing damage??

• Erica Gustavson

I am so sorry! But if you can have it fixed then do it! I haven’t talked to anyobe who has said they can fix it. My entire countertop is now covered in scratches, so what you can do to not make it any worse. I was told cosmos went through a really poor quality time period which is when I bought mine.

• vikki

@erica thanks! yeah I think we are going to pay the £180 to get it fixed the company that do the fixes seem confident they can fix it. Just really confused how it happened!

• Cece
    I too am pretty shocked by all the people with problems with their quartz. I have had LG Viatera countertops for 3 years now and they look absolutely perfect. Have dropped quite a few things on them and scraped things across them I’m sure, and no chips, scratches, etc. So sorry for those of you having difficulties! Quartz has been a great product for me.
  • coco

I applied, with a cotton ball, Garnier's Micellar Cleansing Water All-in-1 Waterproof on the dark surface marks (the cause of the marks unknown) found along the edge (sink area) of my Caesarstone Calcutta Nuovo kitchen countertop. It removed the marks easily.

(FYI: In my case, mild soapy water was minimally effective. I did not try any of the other previously suggested methods.)

• Sharron White
    I had black quartz with little white sprinkles installed in my new kitchen and I have been extremely disappointed in them. they are only 14 months old and look 40 yrs old!! I called our rep who came out to see all the scratches and he was shocked by them he did have his guys use a electric sander and buffer qnd some kind of cream on them. They looked better not great. Suggested I put a rubbing compound on them if any more problems, and to make sure to go in a circular motion. This kitchen was taken down to the bare studs and was personally designed by, and for me. I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in my hands and wrist so I wanted a easy low maintenance kitchen. Never have I regretted a selection so much. I don't know if I should call the rep to tell him the counters are awful again or not.
  • connerhm

Sharron, we had problems with our dark gray (essentially solid) counter and, after multiple attempts by the fabricator to "fix" the problem, they admitted it was a defective top coat. I think the top coat is put on by the fabricator (not sure if that's 100% right or not) and if it isn't done right then the counter is susceptible to all sorts of scratches, marks, and stains. Unfortunately, we had no way of knowing it was defective until all these uncharacteristic hazes and odd marks appeared. After 4 months of trying different things that didn't work, the fabricator filed a warranty claim with Silestone and they replaced the whole counter. I'm telling you all of this because maybe that's what you might be dealing with...a defective top coat? If you've got Silestone that's well within the warranty period (25 yrs) and they need to fix it for you. Also, even though we have the new counter now we were told after the fact that the dark colors are problematic and will show every mark and imperfection. Before replacing the counter they gave us the option to change colors to avoid this problem. Maybe that would help you...? I'm so sorry you're dealing with this and know the frustration and disappointment you're feeling. I hope that it gets resolved quickly for you.

• Chessie

connerhm" I think the top coat is put on by the fabricator (not sure if that's 100% right or not)"

I've never heard of a "top coat". My LG slab looks EXACTLY like it did in the shop when I viewed it. If your fabricator also applied a sealer, then that would be after the install.

ALL quartz slabs are composed of quartz, and a resin binder. The resin is what you see as far as the smooth finish. It is certainly not impossible to scratch or chip, no quartz slab is immune from that. I have read that the "concrete styles" will show more smudging than others, but I've never heard of a particular one that is more susceptible to scratching. I will say that given the relatively newness of this product, I do think there was an awful lot of media blitz and incorrect descriptions bandied about. It certainly is not a "bulletproof" material, and no fabricator or salesperson should ever present it as such.

• wilson853

Quartz should not have a sealer applied, as stated in the LG warranty. I am afraid that there are fabricators that still do not know this, and blame their error on the manufacturer, and that is why consumers sometimes end up with a hazy mess on their counters. Before going forward with any quartz product, I would ask to see their Fabrication Guide and ask a lot of questions.

http://www.lgviaterausa.com/content/com.LG.file_depot.FileDepotFile/76/VT_Fabrication_Guide_2012(1).pdf

• connerhm

We'd never heard of it either. Our fabricator did try to put an enhancer on the white spots and all it did was make it sticky and dark. Ruined the whole counter. That's when they filed a warranty claim. Our new counter is fine but in all honesty I wish I never heard the word 'quartz' and will never recommend it to anyone.

• Chessie

Sounds like your fabricator was incompetent. Since they are certified by each quartz company, their mistakes should always be addressed by the company. Glad that was your experience. My quartz counters are beautiful and I am quite happy with them.

• connerhm

I was so upset that I called Silestone and reported what we were being told. In their defense, they seemed alarmed and wanted to send a rep out 'right away'. We scheduled a visit later that week and the rep never showed. When I called to ask where they were I was told by Silestone that they will find out and call me back immediately. I'm still waiting on that call. LOL. The whole experience was a train wreck.

• Chessie

That sucks. :-( You are in the minority though (although I know that does not make you feel better!) as most of the quartz installs do go well and most folks are very pleased with the product.
    I'm really sorry you had such a terrible experience.

Try Cambria. All made in America and mine are durable and look beautiful. Mix of many colors it was called New Quay.

• Carol Haavisto

Our Cosentino Silestone Pulsar quartz countertops were installed this week. I want to use a set of white ceramic dishes for every day. The bottoms of the plates and bowls, the ring that touches down, is not glazed, as is normal. I am worried the dishes will scratch the counter tops and wonder if I should use them. I was able to scratch my sample quartz by tipping one of these cups and rubbing the bottom hard against the quartz. Does anyone use ceramic dishes with quartz? What do you use that doesn't scratch? Or is there a sealant I can apply to the bottoms of these dishes (must be dishwasher safe, obviously) that will protect my countertops?

• connerhm

I wouldn't ever use them without placemats. We have Silestone Marengo---dark gray--- and were told by the fabricator to use trivets and placemats for EVERYTHING. Unfortunately this material isn't as durable as the manufacturer wants us to think. Don't know if lighter colors won't show the scratches as much but I wouldn't chance it. We've never had a scratch (fingers crossed) but we always use the placemats underneath. I hope this helps.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Gee, while I do not abuse my counter tops (or anything else in my home), I also don't baby them. I have Caesarstone in the Raven color (dark gray) in my vacation rental home, and it does have scratches and chips, especially around the sink. It also has watermarks from dishes drying in the drainboard. I've given up getting upset about it. As connerhm stated, quartz isn't as durable as the advertising would like you to believe. Actually nothing is--everything degrades over time; nothing is "bulletproof."

So my advice is to use your kitchen with care, but don't stress over every little scratch, dent and ding. It's going to happen, so relax. Putting a sealer on the bottom of your plates seems a bit of an overreaction. Reminds me of the poster here on Houzz that covered her marble counter tops with plastic :(

• Diane Sacchetti

MCG G910, from what I can see of your kitchen, it's very pretty and is similar to what I want for my kitchen. Can you tell me the brand of your quartz countertop and color? Also, how is it holding up? I'm so confused after reading this thread. I love marble but was staying away from it due to scratching, staining and etching. I had planned on using quartz but now I'm concerned about that too. I have not found a granite that I really like otherwise I would go with that.