Software
Houzz Logo Print
jakefield

Please Help With Bathroom Tile Design

11 years ago
Hi. We are removing the tub in a secondary bathroom and replacing it with just a shower. We are not replacing the floor or vanity countertop as they are relatively new and in great shape. Trying to find shower tile to match what is existing has been difficult, but I think we might have found something. The picture shows the color of the accent tile (ours would be squares, not hexagon), the shower wall tile (available in 12 by 24 and 19 inch square), the shower floor choice as well as a sample 12 by 12 square of our present floor and a piece of the countertop which is seafoam green granite. The tile person suggests running the accent tile in the niche diagonally to mimic the floor, leaving a 6 inch paint reveal below the ceiling and running 2 inch rows of accent tile above the shower head and a foot or so up from the floor. Wondering what you think of that plan. All input is really appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (19)

  • 11 years ago

    I suppose it is possible to find new tile that looks great with old tile, but I have never seen it done. I'd replace everything or nothing. Further this seems like way too many tile changes in a bathroom....

  • 11 years ago
    Love the counter top and the hexagon (square) tiles. The floor currently seems nice...could you eliminate one of the other beige tile choices that seem too close in color...like you made a mistake. Are the hexagons safe for floor of shower? That would make the niche and trim suggested by the tile guy look more thought out. IMHO. I'll check back for other suggestions.
  • 11 years ago
    The accent tiles appear to be marble/blue grey? And the floor is tannish?? To me the blend of colors is off. If you are spending that much money on the shower, spring for a new floor.
  • 11 years ago

    I don't care for accent tiles. Way too much going on.

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you for the feedback. The accent tile actually has a good bit of green and beige in it. I think the monitor is just making it look bluer. If money were no object, I would have ripped out the floor and the countertop and started over as someone suggested. Unfortunately, money is an object, so I need to work with what is there and just try to make it better. I may just use the accent tile in the niche at this point and just let it be. I can't find any other place that I think I would like it. Maybe less is more. Any thoughts about tiling to the ceiling versus leaving a 6-8 inch paint reveal at the top as the tile salesperson recommended? We have 8 foot ceilings. Thanks for your help!
  • 11 years ago

    I agree there's too much going on. In a small bathroom, you can get a dynamite look using large format tiles everywhere. I would redo the floor and walls of the shower in the 12 x 24 tiles, and the shower floor in a matching color.

    TRAFALGAR SQUARE · More Info


    Transformation of Grade II Listed Cottage · More Info


    Terraced House Refit · More Info


    Wet rooms · More Info


    Battersea · More Info



  • 11 years ago
    the difference is the poster above has everything in the beige\tan family, so yes horsepower looks good. maybe it's the color on my kindle but your accent tiles appear to be grey/blue almost marble looking??
  • 11 years ago
    Valerie,
    That looks beautiful. Could you add some additional pictures for me so I could see the entire shower. How high up is your accent row and how wide is it? Great job!!! Wondering what you thought about just putting some of the accent tile around the periphery of the shower floor. Too crazy?
  • 11 years ago
    her shower!! I hate autocorrect!
  • 11 years ago
    Sharlown,
    I know what you are saying, but the accent really is principally green, beige and cream. The picture just really does not represent that well.
  • 11 years ago

    I think your choices will look fine, but a little accent tile looks nice but too much in a small bathroom is too busy. Do the niche and maybe 1 band around. Have fun!


  • 11 years ago

    I think the accent tile in the shower will tie the counter top into the whole bath design--assuming they complement each other. I thought you might make a vertical accent band through the shower head and incorporate the niche into the band. Horizontal accent band would work also--I do like the idea of keeping it fairly simple in a small bath. I don't think I would put any tiles on a diagonal. Again, just keep it simple.

    I would go all the way to the ceiling with the tile to avoid moisture on paint above the shower, avoid having to paint the wall above it in the future, and it would just be a cleaner, continuous look.

  • 11 years ago

    You might want to take a look at what the cost actually is to remove the floor tiles. Sometimes it is worth waiting to do what is right for the design and a floor tile consistent with the shower would be best. Still keep the counter top though, it is great.

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you Elkeelisabeth,
    I agree with going to the ceiling with the tile and feel good about that decision. Our plan right now is to put the 12 by 24 tiles in the shower in a horizontal staggered pattern. The niche placement and size will depend somewhat on the wall studs and will probably have to be on the large back wall somewhere. I actually thought that the beige tile we chose played pretty well with the lighter color in the floor tile. The people at the tile store actually thought so too (but they were selling me tile, right?). Anyway, it was also suggested to me to put the accent tile in the niche on a diagonal to mimic the pattern in the floor, but that thought just makes me dizzy. I am getting frustrated and constantly second guessing myself now. What I thought would be a simple update for a bathroom not used that much has become a bit of a mental headache. Just want a pretty and comfortable place for guests. I'm attaching a picture of the floor tile, so you can see the pattern. Thank you for the kind input.
  • 11 years ago
    CHOSE THE BIG TILES
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Take the tile all the way to the ceiling. Less maintenance. Makes a shower look bigger. For the niche just tile the back part with the mosaic and put the folders on the inside of the Niche not the outside.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Jakefield,

    Here are some more pics of my shower. Sorry poor quality. The website for the contractor that did the work 3 yeas ago has better pics. The site has pictures of other jobs but my bathroom is recognizable http://www.woodcrafthomeimprovements.com/gallery/nggallery/page/1

    I think accent around the periphery of the floor is great. My tile goes all the way up to the ceiling. We opted for crown molding around the entire ceiling(I like the look) and have had no issues with moisture as the light fixture is also a fan. I would go all the way up. It makes the shower look taller and is good to combat mold. Good luck!

  • 11 years ago
    Valerie,
    Thank you so much for posting the additional photos. It looks great!!! We are just waiting for our tile to come in now. I will post pictures next month when the job is complete. I really appreciate everyone's input. Thank you all.