Software
Houzz Logo Print
nancyoma

Is 48" too high for a bar/counter?

11 years ago

I'm wanting to open up part of a wall between my kitchen and living area to let in some much needed natural light. My problem is, if I go with a 42" height, my (electric) stove back will stick up over the counter. I could hide it with décor but am a little worried about what it will actually look like. Or I could stop short of actually going behind the stove. If I go with the 48" height to hide it will it look too high. But the opening will be wider, which would be nice. I will only be opening the top part as I will leave the bottom cabinets and new granite top.

Comments (8)

  • 11 years ago

    48 inches is really high. You would not be able to easily find bar stools for that height. It would be inconvenient as a pass through too. For example. I am just a little over 5 feet tall. That would put the bar at almost shoulder height for me.


    Could you trade out your stove for a slide in so it does not stick up?

  • 11 years ago

    @nnigrt, I am definitely leaning towards stopping at the stove. @smit2380, it would have a narrow top and not actually be used for anything. Other than letting light through to the kitchen. I will probably go with stopping the opening at the stove and having it 42" high. I remeasured and that would give me 4 1/2'. And allow all of the living room window light in. Thanks for weighing in! :)

  • 11 years ago

    Do the standard 40 1/2" wall height with the 1 1/2" counter on top, and get a slide in range. That doesn't solve your need for ventilation though. What is your plan for a hood?

  • 11 years ago

    if you are using it as "an interior open window" you might like it fill it with pretty glass... i think it looks better than an odd opening.

    find the glass, and then cut the hole to match...



  • 11 years ago

    This is a lot more complicated and expensive to do corretly than you think. You will need a new range and hood to start. But the first thing you need is a professional's assessment as to whether the wall is load bearing.

  • 6 years ago

    i am in the middle of this exact renovation. The frame just got finished and i started thinking oh man is this going to work out. I think it will, at least my wife is six foot so she'll be fine but I had some moments of doubt. Only difference is my stove is going into a newly built island not taking over the space where we took the wall down. The wall is already down and its amazing having that open space now. it has been hard to find bar stools, but we just bought a cheap pair on amazon that goes up to 33 inch high we are going to try out. I did the test by stacking stuff on a chair up to the frame and 33 to 35 inches seems like the sweet spot of what the bar would need.

  • 6 years ago

    Update- I opened it up to top of stove back. No barstools or counter as it would be too high for us. Just "window" framed. Opening it up let in so much light. Plus I can now visit with those in living room while I am cooking. Another plus I hadn't realized I would get is seeing our gorgeous treed acreage out our large living room window. Also, we have "double w" trusses so no load bearing walls. 😉 I am so happy I did it!!