Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jharana123

Should we hire a structural engineer or go with a contractor who will

SM Mm
8 years ago
We are planning to remodel our existing single storey home and make it two storey

Comments (33)

• santoslhauper
    8 years ago

Definitely a structural engineer.

SM Mm thanked santoslhauper
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago
    If you can find yourself a professional Design/Build company, better to consult with them first. They will often times ask many questions about your lifestyle and goals. After they have a clear understanding what you are looking for, they will bring someone in that is best for your specific project. Armed with the information, the architect can hit the ground running and design to your needs and budget. Good luck!
    SM Mm thanked User
  • SM Mm
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Some friends are suggesting to go with a structural engineer first and then get the plans approved from the city. Then get the Quotes from at least 3 contractors and start the construction from there. This is our first time building a house. So we are not sure what is the best thing to do.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    8 years ago

Are they saying that the structural engineer will create your floorplan, house elevations, and pick materials and finishes? Because that's not what structural engineers do.

As Amodeo Contracting mentioned, one approach is to start with a design-build firm. If you really want a contractor-neutral set of plans to put out for bid, then you want an architect. The architect will consult as needed with the structural.

SM Mm thanked Revolutionary Gardens
  • miacometlady
    8 years ago
    Our contractor got our house plans, obtained building permits and has forwarded our plans to a structural engineer for consideration.
    SM Mm thanked miacometlady
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    8 years ago

Generally the general contractor is the one that brings in the structural engineer as most engineers want to see the preliminary plans before they start their work. They may require some changes to the plans, but they don't start with a blank slate and I don't know any that create the house plans. Don't have anything approved by the city until you have done the plans and have whatever engineering is required completed. Once the city sees the plans, any changes can become difficult.

If you choose to use an architect, just note that most of them will not do the engineering (even though allowed) and you will still need to have an engineer look at the plans before finalizing them.

SM Mm thanked Brickwood Builders, Inc.
  • SM Mm
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We are thinking to go with a drafter who will do the floor plans and then get quotes from contractors(who does both design and build) or go with a structural engineer. We are on limited budget, so we can save some money if we go with a drafter for floor plans.

How much does a drafter charge for floor plan and elevation plans? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

If you are not experienced professionals with design experience, using a drafter is a bad idea. You can sketch up what you are thinking for free and use that as a starting point with a design build residential firm.

What you are discussing can increase or decrease your house value significantly - REALLY - you can add square footage and decrease your value if you do it badly. Or if you get halfway through and get shut down for things you didn't anticipate - like bringing everything in the existing space up to code to satisfy the building department. A design builder can assist you in finding the most efficient way to use your resources. You may not have enough to do what you envision, but the cheapest way can be the most expensive way. Plan twice, cut once. Don't skimp here. Yes, know what you hope to achieve but don't think you can design and permit this without expert help. A structural engineer is not enough for what you are discussing. There are significant code issues they won't even know about.

SM Mm thanked libradesigneye
  • SM Mm
    Original Author
    8 years ago

TY libradesigneye for you input. We were thinking to hire a SE for the design and then get an average GC for construction of the house.Because the avg. price per sqft varies so much between a big farm and an average GC.

After reading your review, I'm afraid we shouldn't end up in designing a house which is upto city code with very less market value.

Any advice on how to get a good GC is really appreciated.

• User
    8 years ago

Rebuilding an entire home like that will be far more expensive than you think. There is no ''just'' putting a second floor onto a home without rebuilding the first floor, and the entire infrastructure, to support that second floor. It might actualy be cheaper to do a terdown and complete rebuild. You'd get a much more cohesive and valuable result than a new/old hodgepodge.

SM Mm thanked User
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

In my jurisdiction, the best residential remodelers who have inhouse design advertise and compete for testimonials from their clients. They usually win awards for customer service / named best in local polls. Google your town and residential design build. Then, look for the guys who have been in business a long, long time, with client testimonials on their website, who will put you in touch with former clients so you can chat about the process with someone who had to pay the bills .. they will tell you up front generally what kind of budget you will need per square foot. They will also be able to size up your existing residence and offer opinions about how to make the new design seamless.

SW has part of it right though - a residential remodel isn't just about adding new space . . ask them questions and be realistic about what it would be like. A friend who did a significant remodel camped out in his house - living in a construction site reminds you what it takes to stay warm, dry, have indoor plumbing with hot water, etc. .. time the major impacts so they won't come in the worst of the winter, etc.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 years ago

Contact a few local architects for your addition select one you feel most comfortable with, check references from customers who did similar additions and he will take care of everything. Most architects work with structural engineers and they will consult them if they need a structural verification.

If you consult a design/built company, they will not release your the plans unless they doing the job, and either way the cost for the design work and construction drawings will be part of the construction cost... so you better off going with a local Architect this way you can be in control of your plans and use them to have a few contractors bid the job.

On the general note, 90% of the time you don't need a structural engineer unless there is a structural dilemma where Architect would need a structural engineering advice.

Good luck

SM Mm thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

GN is right about not needing a structural engineer - architects can sign most house plans for structure. Residential architects vary greatly in skill, however, when it comes to designing to a budget. That is why starting with a design build firm to find out how far your $ can go is wise.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    8 years ago

Ok there's a lot of info going back and forth that's accurate, but none of it's really coalescing. Let's back up. For the project you described, here's what you need:

1. a professional to talk with you about the space your family needs, how you'll live in the new space, and the overall layout.
    2. a professional to talk with you about the realities of what you can do with your budget and with your home. Also what the best way is to spend your money.
    3. a professional to create the plan drawings and construction documents.
    4. a professional to build it.

1 and 2 could be an architect, could be someone from a design-build firm. It's definitely not an engineer. Most drafters I've worked with are technicians, very adept at taking others' conceptual drawings and notes and making them into plans, but not necessarily designers.

Here's the deal. You stated that you're on a limited budget. To me, that makes it even more critical to have the right design to start with. The tighter the budget the more you feel every bedroom wall that should be 9" that way, every closet that is a hair too small, every wasted square foot. You're making a sizeable investment that you're stuck with moving forward, you'd better be sure you like it!

SM Mm thanked Revolutionary Gardens
  • SM Mm
    Original Author
    8 years ago

TY everyone for your input and feedback.

Couple of design/build firms I talked to said if we go with a SE, the SE might design something with lot of overhead to get it approved from the city. Eventually we have to spend more money on the structure.

If we go with the design/build firm, they will design the structure with less overhead and eventually less expensive for us.

We don't want to compromise on the structure or the walls or size of closets. But we can't really afford the really expensive windows,doors or really fancy finishing in the bathroom or kitchen.

So this is the choice we are stuck with now and not sure where to start...

Thanks again to everyone.

• User
    8 years ago

A budget second floor addition project with bath would start in the 100K range in a very low cost of living area, with contributions of labor from you to keep it within that budget. In a high cost of living, it would easily be double that amount. If you don't think that's affordable, then you just described a situation where you sell the xisting home and move to a home that already fits your needs. Adding a second floor is not a budget project. Ever.

SM Mm thanked User
  • jck910
    8 years ago

Have you looked at other houses? It may be better to move. You could price your house right out of the neighborhood. Or if the neighborhood is mostly 1 story homes a 2 story could end up really tall and look out of place. In my brother's neighborhood in a high end town near Boston, his side of the street they all added dormers and great rooms to their cape cod style homes so they are all similar looking (although not cookie cutter look alikes) but across the street the original ranch is in the middle and 2 tear downs were done and McMansions built to replace them awfully funny looking

SM Mm thanked jck910
  • Depo
    8 years ago
    A friend of mine did exactly what you are thinking of doing a few years ago. Did everything on a budget, hired a draftsperson for the plans, acted as owner contractor, bought very low end finishings and still ended up spending over $100K. Sophie is right about budget. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to add on. Be realistic about what you are willing to spend on this project.
    SM Mm thanked Depo
  • SM Mm
    Original Author
    8 years ago

TY DepoSD for mentioning your friend's project. Our neighborhood is mostly 2 story. But I'm not sure to be my own GC because it will be a 2 story. I'm thinking if we hire an average design/build company with good reviews, they give a warranty on the new construction for couple of years.

If I'm the owner-contractor, I won't get any warranty. We might get average finishings but the building has a warranty.

• Depo
    8 years ago
    So true. I would never suggest doing it like my friend did, I just wanted you to get an idea of cost. And to be honest, hers still is not completely finished!
    SM Mm thanked Depo
  • SM Mm
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Taking decisions is so hard...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Anyone who hires an architect or engineer before a general contractor is a fool. A reputable GC knows when and whom to refer; it's in his own best interest.

• PRO
    Alex Guthrie Construction LLC
    7 years ago

architect then engineer then builder in that order. some architects have engineers they work with. good luck

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Let me put this in terms folks will understand.

I went to my doctor, a GP, for heart palpitations. She told me to stop drinking caffeine and they went away. I did not go to a cardiologist because of my heart palpations. You don't get to see a cardiologist unless your GP makes a referral. Same thing here.

• PRO
    Precision Structural Engineering
    7 years ago

An architect does not need to be hired for residential work. A building designer can work on most residential homes. It usually starts with an architect, designer, GC. We are always referring GC's. We can also provide building design.

• bl0ss0m
    7 years ago

Popping a top takes a real pro, not just any contractor can do this even if they say they can! Be careful! You will need plans to pull permits etc, I suggest an architect to oversee project with a good contractor.

• PRO
    7 years ago

If you get an architect, you just have to make sure that you are willing to pay their fees on top of your construction cost. It's going to be anywhere from 8%-15%. A building designer can usually do the same work at a fraction of the cost, just make sure that they are qualified.

• User
    7 years ago

In the US, Architect is a state regulated term. You can be assured of a minimal level of qualifications for anyone using that description of themselves. "Building Designer'' is a nonsensical unregulated term with anything from 0-60 in terms of qualifications to use the term on a $9.95 set of VistaPrint cards. You could get anywhere from someone who graduated Architectural school and is waiting on exam results, to someone who read tea leaves last week, and took one semester of drafting at a community college 20 years ago.

At least in Canada, they have Architectural Technologist, which does have education and experience minimums in order to use the term.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Sophie, this is very true. I am just pointing it out, as we work with mainly building designers for residential projects. I am not saying that you should not go through an architect, but you need to keep in mind that you will most likely be paying at least $20,000 if they are charging 8%-15%. We work with many different building designers and we are able to provide building design as well, which we do on smaller projects at a fraction of the cost. It all depends, the client just needs to make sure that they research before selecting anyone to work on anything for them.

• qam999
    5 years ago

Go with a GC (or an architect if necessary) as the prime contractor. A structural engineer is, and should be, almost always in a subcontractor role, doing 1 small piece of a larger job.

• PRO
    Alex Guthrie Construction LLC
    5 years ago
    Brickwood is correct. besides the city won't issue a permit until it has the required engineered seal anyway. first get the plans they have to have an architect seal. then the rest will follow.
  • qchomekeeper
    5 years ago

It would probably be a good idea to check the profiles of the Pros who are giving you advice here. If they say you do or don't need such and such a person, compare that advice to their projects and ask yourself, "Do I like how their philosophy is working for them or their clients?" As the saying goes: consider the source.